News   May 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 623     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

I noticed today that the new concrete barriers on the cycle tracks on College St. between University Ave. and Spadina (installed a couple of months ago) have been moved up against the curb. Any information on why this is the case - I'm guessing some sort of temporary measure related to the ongoing construction? Naturally, vehicles were back to their old habits blocking the bike lanes.

To add to this very fine breakdown of otherwise very fine new infrastructure, this is case and point of a mistake that the Cycling unit keeps making and really has to fix: wide bike lanes are great once you’re in them, but also readily invite drivers to enter unless/until they put bollards in the middle of each entrance. I’ve not yet ridden the Wellington bike lanes when there has not been a driver parked in them.

View attachment 507951
The curb cuts are quite long to allow for driveway access across this bidirectional cycle track, which leaves enough space for vehicles to enter in some cases. Not sure how that can be fixed if the driveways need to remain operational.

The curb cuts are quite long to allow for driveway access across this bidirectional cycle track, which leaves enough space for vehicles to enter in some cases. Not sure how that can be fixed if the driveways need to remain operational.
Bollards in the centreline of the trail at each driveway would do the trick.

Works in NYC just fine and, most importantly, keeps drivers out. Need this here badly.

IMG_0637.jpeg
IMG_0627.jpeg

I noticed today that the new concrete barriers on the cycle tracks on College St. between University Ave. and Spadina (installed a couple of months ago) have been moved up against the curb. Any information on why this is the case - I'm guessing some sort of temporary measure related to the ongoing construction? Naturally, vehicles were back to their old habits blocking the bike lanes.

Because you asked; I asked.

The short answer: Correction of contractor error.

(line markings)

I’ve read up on the topic and the general strategy for most snowy North American cities is to just remove bollards before winter, or whenever snowfall is anticipated, to allow for snow clearing.

Sounds simple enough, ideally the bollards are up long enough in the mild months for drivers to learn the lanes are not for cars when winter cones around. If not - well we’ve cheaply solved the problem 2/3rds of the year.

The Hudson River Greenway is literally the only place I've seen bollards for bike lanes in NYC.
To be clear, we’re talking about any form of bollard. In most cases, just simple plastic ones.

I pulled this from a Tacoma, WA review of other North American cities, Chicago in this instance:
Some of their bike lanes employ flexible bollards inserted into embedded anchor cups which can be removed during winter months, simplifying maintenance operations.

I contacted Councillor Pasternak’s office regarding the upcoming installation of bike lanes on Bathurst from Earl Bales park to Steeles.

it is planned to be a multi-use trail and it is scheduled to be installed sometime between later on this year and next year.

I don’t understand the “multi use trail” part. Isn’t that what they call trails in off-street areas like Finch corridor ?

A multi-use path is typically a 2.5m+ wide bidrectional cycle path+pedestrian walkway that replaces a standard sidewalk.

I contacted Councillor Pasternak’s office regarding the upcoming installation of bike lanes on Bathurst from Earl Bales park to Steeles.

it is planned to be a multi-use trail and it is scheduled to be installed sometime between later on this year and next year.

I don’t understand the “multi use trail” part. Isn’t that what they call trails in off-street areas like Finch corridor ?

It will absolutely not be this year. No chance, no way, on how.

There will be a public consultation first; and it will go ahead with major road reconstruction on Bathurst, hopefully next year.

The intent is to put a paved bike path in the boulevard here. Likely in addition to the sidewalk, but I haven't seen the design yet.

Generally, MUPs in Toronto range from 3M to 4M. This would probably be in the narrower side.

The 4M is typically in Toronto Parks and meant so that an ambulance can navigate it, this should not be a consideration for a trail beside a road.

Back