News   Oct 11, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Oct 11, 2024
 3.1K     2 
News   Oct 11, 2024
 713     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

This is the rendering, of the completed product, so you can see how it would work:

View attachment 586003

There's actually a fly-through video, I'd forgotten that!

Though I think it best to wait to see the final product and usually like the Cycling Group's plans, I wonder about all these concrete islands. Even if they improve signage on them (like Adelaide/York) I can see people will hit them.

bloor.jpg

Though I think it best to wait to see the final product and usually like the Cycling Group's plans, I wonder about all these concrete islands. Even if they improve signage on them (like Adelaide/York) I can see people will hit them.

View attachment 586478

I have never been involved in design of these and have little practical experience with them, I would defer to @reaperexpress to offer intelligent commentary here.

I have never been involved in design of these and have little practical experience with them, I would defer to @reaperexpress to offer intelligent commentary here.

How about painting the concrete islands red? Those red priority bus lanes really stand out.

Understood if there is some technical / safety reason this can't be done.

Looking forward to commentary from @reaperexpress.

Kingston Rd looking west at Scarborough Golf Club Road.
DJI_0035-HDR-2.jpeg

Can you discuss the substance? The post has been deleted by Reddit for doxxing.

It was reposted with identifying marks of the truck in question removed, and then there was another post of a different truck. Both parked approximately where the dumpster was that is thought to have contributed to the recent death of a cyclist.

Obviously the solution in that particular spot to prevent this is bike lane with physical.separatoon.

I guess the broader concern since this keeps happening, is if there needs to be perhaps some more accomodation for delivery trucks with the separated bike lanes.

Perhaps starting with converting some of the street parking into dedicated loading zones?

Perhaps starting with converting some of the street parking into dedicated loading zones?
We should, but drivers will just park in the dedicated loading zones, and construction companies will put their dumpsters there. It won't be any more illegal than doing it in the bike lanes.

We should, but drivers will just park in the dedicated loading zones, and construction companies will put their dumpsters there. It won't be any more illegal than doing it in the bike lanes.
Taking up a designated parking space with a dumpster has the benefit of not blocking a bike lane/cycle track.

That's horrifying. We're only seeing the footage because he wasn't killed. More disturbing is that was a society we treat this as a matter of a driver not obeying a sign instead of infrastructure inadequacy that leads to this predictable failure mode.

I'm working on another bike traffic study for the Bloor street extension. This is was done Aug 1st (1 day after the memorial bike ride)

I noticed in the morning there was a group of 9 people going (all dressed in bike "uniforms") even counting them, along with cyclists on the road or sidewalk I found the ridership is flat if not lower than the day I measured in early July......

I'm hoping to release my count some time this weekend, though it's a very labor intensive process! I'm aware it takes time for ridership to go up but I'm curious what winter numbers will look like

Doing another bike traffic study, this one is for August 1st. Link to the previous one https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/cycling-infrastructure-separated-bike-lanes.15478/post-2111332

I noticed even though there was likely higher ridership due to the memorial the day before, ridership has not grown much.
I know "things take time" but I'm curious why ridership growth is stagnant even months after the lanes have been open. My best guess is there are only so many people willing to bike to work, as well as concerns about comfort, this being the summer.
I didn't spend the time yet to count cars as this makes the process 5x slower.

I still noticed a handful of people riding the wrong way, or on the sidewalk.

6AM-7AM
14​
31​
4​
EB-BIKEEB E-ScooterWB-BIKEWB-E-Scooter
7AM-8AM
34​
1​
12​
2​
EB-BIKEEB E-ScooterWB-BIKEWB E-Scooter
8AM-9AM