News   Mar 28, 2024
 954     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 539     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 833     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

In that case you (and I) need to vote in the Mayoral by-election!!
I haven't been paying attention actually (first time). From what I've seen at a glance, I've seen who not to vote for. Any recommendations?

I haven't been paying attention actually (first time). From what I've seen at a glance, I've seen who not to vote for. Any recommendations?
Saunders seems to be the most anti-bikes (by far!) - at least of the candidates who appear viable. Yet another reason not to elect a (failed) police chief as our Mayor!!

Does anyone know what the hell happened to the bike lanes on Morningside between Steeles and Passmore? I remember biking on them last summer but today they were just... gone, the grass was in it's place I belive.

Does anyone know what the hell happened to the bike lanes on Morningside between Steeles and Passmore? I remember biking on them last summer but today they were just... gone, the grass was in it's place I belive.

Bike lanes or multi-use path?

Just for clarity here.

Psst, take pics! Streetview is not up to date!

The City's project page indicates the ultimate build-out should feature an MUP on the east side:

Not Paths, They were bike lanes that looked something like this. I believe they were painted green as well but I could be mistaken about this detail. I will go again tomorrow as I live not too far and take pictures to show.
College Street Bikeway Upgrades Could be Coming - Show your support | Cycle  Toronto

Bike lanes or multi-use path?

Just for clarity here.

Psst, take pics! Streetview is not up to date!

The City's project page indicates the ultimate build-out should feature an MUP on the east side:

Ok, after looking online I found this. It is likely I did not see the lane because It was dark and I was on the west side of the road. I will still go tomorrow to confirm but sorry for inconveniences.
bike 2.png

Not Paths, They were bike lanes that looked something like this. I believe they were painted green as well but I could be mistaken about this detail. I will go again tomorrow as I live not too far and take pictures to show.

The fact that an engineer signed off on this is sheer negligence. Or the scandal is that any design manual allows for such a monstrosity.

They could do better, but I don't see an obvious way of making that bit of roadway safe for cyclists: zoom out a bit and look at traffic flows. Curb lanes would be crossing large amounts of highway interchange traffic making sharp turns. Segregated lanes in the median for the intersection does look like the best option BUT you've still got to get cyclists into the median and out of it again.

The entire interchange needs to be reconsidered.

Last edited:
They could do better, but I don't see an obvious way of making that bit of roadway safe for cyclists: zoom out a bit and look at traffic flows. Curb lanes would be crossing large amounts of highway interchange traffic making sharp turns. Segregated lanes in the median for the intersection does look like the best option BUT you've still got to get cyclists into the median and out of it again.

The entire interchange needs to be reconsidered.
The problem is thinking you should ever put bike lanes on a 10 lane high speed arterial. Worst case there should be a multi-use path. And realistically bikes should be given another route to use that is lower speed/lower traffic. That left turn and the bike boxes are going to get people killed. The road would be safer without them.

Back