News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 742     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Over the last few weeks, someone has been doing work at Cherry and Unwin and it appears to be a NEW BIKE TRACK linking the Martin Goodman Trail to the Cherry Street Sports Field. Working west (Unwin & Cherry)

East (Sports Fields)

NOTE TO MODS: This thread seems to be used for any bike track talk - maybe change thread title to Cycling Infrastructure Bike Lanes - general ????

View attachment 437065
View attachment 437067

View attachment 437068
This path has still not opened so I asked my contact in the Cycling section when it would. He knew nothing about it and suggested that it had been installed by WT. I asked them and they too know nothing about it!

Clearly someone built it but who??

This path has still not opened so I asked my contact in the Cycling section when it would. He knew nothing about it and suggested that it had been installed by WT. I asked them and they too know nothing about it!

Clearly someone built it but who??

You do love to challenge me!

I asked two of my contacts in the City, but neither was sure.

But I hunted it down!

No wonder you couldn't find it.........

CreateTO issued the tender:

1683674307312.png

You do love to challenge me!

I asked two of my contacts in the City, but neither was sure.

But I hunted it down!

No wonder you couldn't find it.........

CreateTO issued the tender:

View attachment 475842
Though I am sure you are correct about who built the trail, the trail was built in 2022 and the ad you posted is 2023 and seems to be phase 2, softscape in the area. I have asked CreateTO when it will open. Stay tuned.

Though I am sure you are correct about who built the trail, the trail was built in 2022 and the ad you posted is 2023 and seems to be phase 2, softscape in the area. I have asked CreateTO when it will open. Stay tuned.
As @NorthernLight (predictable and, as always, speedily) found out...

Thanks for reaching out and for your interest in the Unwin trail.

CreateTO did construct the new trail. We are currently undertaking the landscaping work (planting trees and shrubs and seeding grass) and still need to put the finishing touches on the path itself (centre line painting and bollards) before opening to the public.

We anticipate completion of these works mid-June and plan to open the trail shortly thereafter.

High Park Mobility Strategy passed unscathed.

Goal will be entirely car-free at some point in the future, car-free on weekends/holidays this summer.

Short-term changes (not the fancy renders, but reduced parking, and removing cars, notably from West Road, using temporary infrastructure) could come relatively soon, permanent changes won't come before 2027.

This email is to provide an update on The Esplanade and Mill Street Connection and, more specifically, the cycling trail at the north end of Parliament Square Park between Parliament Street and Berkeley Street. Construction is planned to start next week (week of May 15, 2023) and end at the end of June 2023. This timeline is weather dependent and subject to change.

The City of Toronto is preparing to install a cycling trail to connect The Esplanade and Mill Street through the former Green P Parking Lot. The trail is intended to separate people cycling from pedestrians in Parliament Square Park, where the current park path is narrow. People cycling are required to yield to pedestrians at the Parliament Street and Berkeley Street crossings. The new trail will include:
  • Separate pedestrian and cycling routes;
  • Pedestrian crossing into the park;
  • Planters, wrapped in art by Toronto artists, maintained in partnership with the St. Lawrence Market BIA; and
  • Hand and foot rests for waiting cyclists.
Here is a photo/rendering from the flyer going to neighbours:

1683918680992.png

The assorted cycling and pedestrian improvements have passed Council. Not quite unmolested, but mostly.

The north-only cycle track proposed on the Millwood/Leaside bridge is removed for now, pending Mx's install of new Cycle Tracks on Overlea, currently planned for 2028.

2 sets of new sidewalks on side streets are deferred. Otherwise, it passed mostly intact.

Its not ideal, but I'll take it.

Here's the detailed motions that passed:

1683921213671.png

This email is to provide an update on The Esplanade and Mill Street Connection and, more specifically, the cycling trail at the north end of Parliament Square Park between Parliament Street and Berkeley Street. Construction is planned to start next week (week of May 15, 2023) and end at the end of June 2023. This timeline is weather dependent and subject to change.

The City of Toronto is preparing to install a cycling trail to connect The Esplanade and Mill Street through the former Green P Parking Lot. The trail is intended to separate people cycling from pedestrians in Parliament Square Park, where the current park path is narrow. People cycling are required to yield to pedestrians at the Parliament Street and Berkeley Street crossings. The new trail will include:
  • Separate pedestrian and cycling routes;
  • Pedestrian crossing into the park;
  • Planters, wrapped in art by Toronto artists, maintained in partnership with the St. Lawrence Market BIA; and
  • Hand and foot rests for waiting cyclists.
Here is a photo/rendering from the flyer going to neighbours:

View attachment 476722
Still think all cycling lanes, cycling paths, and cycling trails should have red asphalt. To set them apart from pedestrian and motor vehicle use. (Not painted, but the colour IN the asphalt.)

Last edited:

Back