News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.4K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 625     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but today was the 'official' opening of the Martin Goodman Trail along Unwin, which many here will know has actually been open for awhile.

But today was the presser/ribbon-cutting.

Photo below is from the TRCA's Facebook Page.

A quick question everyone: why is it that Toronto Police do not investigate bike thefts? The reason that is always explained to me is: resources. But I understood that we are one of the largest police forces in North America with modest levels of crime compared to other like-sized municipalities. Bikes can be very expensive merchandise. Also, when a bike owner locates the thief, why doesn't the police do anything about it (referencing today's article from the "Daily News" section)?

A quick question everyone: why is it that Toronto Police do not investigate bike thefts? The reason that is always explained to me is: resources. But I understood that we are one of the largest police forces in North America with modest levels of crime compared to other like-sized municipalities. Bikes can be very expensive merchandise. Also, when a bike owner locates the thief, why doesn't the police do anything about it (referencing today's article from the "Daily News" section)?
I’m not sure to be honest, but as someone who has both had bikes stolen and been nearly killed by aggressive drivers executing illegal maneuvers, I would prefer we start with more enforcement on the roads before worrying about bike thefts. At least I feel a lot more empowered with protecting my bike from theft...

I hate bike lanes. This weekend I'm through Corktown and one car is parked in the lane, another slows and opens the door in front of me to disgorge its passenger. The only bike lanes should be separated lanes with a hard shoulder that no car can park on, not even police cars (one of the worst offenders of bike lane parking).

I hate bike lanes. This weekend I'm through Corktown and one car is parked in the lane, another slows and opens the door in front of me to disgorge its passenger. The only bike lanes should be separated lanes with a hard shoulder that no car can park on, not even police cars (one of the worst offenders of bike lane parking).

Couldn't agree more -- they should always be physically separated and/or elevated, regardless of road condition. The Corktown bike lanes suck big time, which is especially frustrating given that the neighbourhood was recently created from scratch.

There's some interesting emerging research that shows that drivers actually pass cyclists more closely when there's a paint-only bike lane than they do when there's no painted lane, and my experience as both a driver and a cyclists bears that out.

The good news is that the bike infrastructure coming to the Portlands looks straight up dutch level of quality (protected intersections, curb separated from the road, etc.).

Bloor between Spadina and Bathurst is also having it's lanes upgraded to curb separated this summer, with Spadina to Avenue Road coming next summer. I believe there may be upgrades planned to parts of Richmond and Adelaide this year as well.

It's coming in spits and bursts, but the amount of quality cycling infrastructure in the city is at least slowly increasing.

Do we know the timelines for upgrades to the Richmond and Adelaide bike lanes? They seriously need to have better protections from cars.

A quick question everyone: why is it that Toronto Police do not investigate bike thefts?
What do you want them to do? Finger print your broken lock, seek CCT footage to compare against files of suspects? Toronto has very few and of those very expensive police officers - if you're not actively being killed or not reporting gunfire TPS is not coming. It's a testament to the peaceful and law abiding nature of Torontonians that we live in a relatively low crime and respectful society, since the TPS has little to do with how we treat one another.

Thieves can't steal what isn't there. My bike isn't stolen because I never lock it up. When I ride to work I bring the bike into the building and put it in my office. I know that doesn't work for most, but then you need a beater bike that few will steal. Go on Kijiji and buy a cheap (likely previously stolen) bike for $50. Swap out any quick release wheel or seat bolts with regular bolts, and Red Loctite the bolts shut (you need a blowtorch to loosen Red Loctite).

Here's some $50 bikes for sales in Toronto:

$19 for Red Loctite https://www.amazon.ca/Loctite-Threadlocker-Red-0-20-209741/dp/B000FP8EUS

Last edited:
Why are we so bad at building protected bike lanes. In ottawa they have just lined bike lanes but they have a post to deter drivers. It's so easy to do it!?!? Why does millwood bridge have nothing. I feel scared whenever buses go right past me with no distance

^Yeah those posts will do nothing to stop a driver veering into you. It's a false comfort.

Back