News   Jul 17, 2024
 249     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 796     1 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 630     0 

Corktown

An eviction notice is up at Bentley Flanders at King/St. Lawrence, citing over $100,000 in unpaid rent. Too bad -- though it never seemed very busy.

They did virtually no promotion as far as I could tell, and in spite of the prominent corner, it seemed to be avoiding eye contact so to speak. Tax write off?

They did virtually no promotion as far as I could tell, and in spite of the prominent corner, it seemed to be avoiding eye contact so to speak. Tax write off?
There is actually an article about one of the owners (Alex Donovan) in todays' Star. )New in Homes) Not such good timing.

Here's a pic I took the other night of Black Irish Oyster Bar's "Coming Soon" sign...

View attachment 19760

I don't quite share the negativity. It's certainly a risk, but the corner will eventually change and with all the condos immediately south, perhaps now is the time to start reflecting that.

I poked my head in the door and chatted with one of the carpenters who was a really nice Irish guy. They are doing a good job on the interiors. Creative and well designed interior, a bit hipster but comfortable and not pretentious. I think it will do well.

A bit further east along Queen is an Italian brick oven pizza place opening up called Il Panettone. Looks promising, though not sure why it's named after xmas cake.

I poked my head in the door and chatted with one of the carpenters who was a really nice Irish guy. They are doing a good job on the interiors. Creative and well designed interior, a bit hipster but comfortable and not pretentious. I think it will do well.

A bit further east along Queen is an Italian brick oven pizza place opening up called Il Panettone. Looks promising, though not sure why it's named after xmas cake.

Awesome- i really hope they do well. It wouldn't hurt the area to have that corner be a little more lively. Well, a different kind of lively. I've also noticed Il Pannettone, though I swear it's been under construction since at least the summer. Hopefully they're juts taking their time, because I'd love to have another brick oven pizza option.

Well so much for Il Panettone. I swear I was getting to the point where I was starting to think it was a front. While it seems as if rent was an issue, I can't imagine that having their neon lights / the spotlight with their name on it, going all night every night helped their cause.

photo.jpg

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 560
This does not surprise me at all. Businesses usually don't mount their signage, illuminate it, then paper up the windows with newsprint, no less, and then go silent for months. My guess is a general lack of business savvy here.

This does not surprise me at all. Businesses usually don't mount their signage, illuminate it, then paper up the windows with newsprint, no less, and then go silent for months. My guess is a general lack of business savvy here.

Same with Que, now Atelier Bistro. Atelier hasn't been open for well over a week now, and it took over in the winter for Que which was barely open at all. Maybe it's just because I walk that route all the time, but it seems like there's been a few exceptional blunders in that area lately.

I have no hard proof, but my guess is that lease rates are reasonable when compared to other properties this close to downtown, so people take a gamble without a solid business plan.

I could be totally off base here.

That's basically what it is. I know of some of the people involved in Atelier, total amateur hour stuff. Until more reputable groups come on board (like those involved with the Carbon Bar) I'm afraid we are going to see more of this revolving door action.

I have heard that a new large format bakery\café is opening this summer at a corner location on King East with a very open façade to the sidewalk.

^ Maybe at King and Princess? The former furniture and convenience stores are undergoing renos and appear to have been combined. There is also space between the east end of the building and the sidewalk.

^ Maybe at King and Princess? The former furniture and convenience stores are undergoing renos and appear to have been combined. There is also space between the east end of the building and the sidewalk.
Good news, if true. The strip outside the building on Princess is actually City property but they could probably get a Boulevard Café licence. (This is actually in the St Lawrence neighbourhood - Corktown ends at Parliament/Berkeley.)

Is Black Irish getting any closer to opening? A couple of weeks ago I wondered if it was open -- everything looked finished (interior signs and lace curtains) but nothing seems to be happening, the posters in the windows are starting to look ratty, and there's a broken window on the south side. Their website is full of demo text and no info . . . has it been abandoned?

Is Black Irish getting any closer to opening? A couple of weeks ago I wondered if it was open -- everything looked finished (interior signs and lace curtains) but nothing seems to be happening, the posters in the windows are starting to look ratty, and there's a broken window on the south side. Their website is full of demo text and no info . . . has it been abandoned?

I was wondering the exact same thing this afternoon. I peered inside and it didn't seem any different (from what I could see) than it has over the last few weeks. Tables still a bit astray, construction material. I sort of had it in my mind that they'd be open around St. Paddy's day. Sure looked like they could have been, come late february. I'd be pretty disappointed if it was deadpool already; seemed like it could have brought in some much-needed evening foot traffic to the area.

Back