News   Jun 26, 2024
 105     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Corktown District (King & Sumach, Streetcar, to 6s, Quadrangle)

• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
Letter?

Streetcar sent an update to all Corktown buyers informing us that Phase One has "unfortunately encountered some delays in the rezoning process". A "friendly appeal" has been filed with the OMB although the city endorses the project (which will be presented in the final report to city council in April). Buyers are assured that the OMB process is just a matter of expediting the approvals process.

Hello,
I am a purchaser in 52 Sumach and just wanted to know if in fact you or anyone had received a letter/update outing 'dealys in the rezoning process'?
I called Streetcar (Apr 30) because I had not yet received any information and was informed that a letter was 'just going out' and nothing had previously been sent?

Hello,
I am a purchaser in 52 Sumach and just wanted to know if in fact you or anyone had received a letter/update outing 'dealys in the rezoning process'?
I called Streetcar (Apr 30) because I had not yet received any information and was informed that a letter was 'just going out' and nothing had previously been sent?

I'll be surprised if all 4 of these buildings get approved / built

52 Sumach and 549 King E. loom over their historic neighbours. I doubt very much that owners of the row houses on Percy Street are going to allow a 6 story building across their narrow lane, ditto for Bright Street.

569 King East's south-facing units will be about 6-8 feet away from the warehouse it backs on to.

510 King East is probably the best sited of the bunch. They SHOULD build a 6 story condo here. I think the other three sites should have been townhouses. Save the condo blocks for the WDL.

Purchaser at 569 - I have been following streecar corktown development closely - they seem to be close to finished the process. Percy street folks are getting improved street out of the deal. I received update on delays in the mail today - to be expected. BTW - my suite at rear is almost 30' from warehouse (I checked out the plans)

Regarding 569 if you look at the city planning documents as referenced by UNKOW above the distance between the 2 buildings looks to be 6+ metres.

I don't know where things landed with the arrangements between Percy Street Residents and Streetcar but originally they were talking about not just upgrading the Percy st which is practically a dirt road right now but also replacing the 100 year old sewer that is underneath it (bearing in mind that the street and sewer below it are privately owned by the owners rather than the city) as well upgrading the roofs and facades of the owners. As this would clearly increase the value of the little cottages on Percy you can see that this would be a rationale for them to support 549.

Regarding 569 if you look at the city planning documents as referenced by UNKOW above the distance between the 2 buildings looks to be 6+ metres.

The city is forcing Streetcar to move the buildings back at least 5.5 meters from the south property line. That can't leave a very deep building. I'll believe the 6+ metres when they break ground. Until then, it sounds more like sales-floor assurances.

I don't know where things landed with the arrangements between Percy Street Residents and Streetcar but originally they were talking about not just upgrading the Percy st which is practically a dirt road right now but also replacing the 100 year old sewer that is underneath it (bearing in mind that the street and sewer below it are privately owned by the owners rather than the city) as well upgrading the roofs and facades of the owners. As this would clearly increase the value of the little cottages on Percy you can see that this would be a rationale for them to support 549.

What a shame, Percy St's 'upgraded facades' will still look across at some of the worst condo architecture going up in the city :( I wish residents had stuck to their guns more.

Purchaser at 52 Sumach - we received both a newsletter from Corktown outlining the reason for the delays and a letter (just yesterday) formally extending occupancy to May 29, 2009. You should be receiving something soon.

The OMB prehearing on the development was held on April 17th. The OMB has not updated their site with the results of the the hearing. Anyone know what happened?

May 2009?? I really do not understand Developers, there is not any way that project can be done before 3 years, what is the point is sending such a letter with occupancy within a year?. purchasers will be lucky if they got their units before January 2011

Anyone purchasing a condo should do their homework first and not listen to lying salepeople. The vast majority of today's condo purchasers buy condos that are not approved by the city, and therefore there is a high likelihood that their suite /building will be changed before construction starts.

That is the problem in Canada, the law only protects Builders, they can do and change whatever they want. and then, after they finish the project you have to pay occupancy fees for one year until the building gets registered with the city, this is ridiculous!, so buyers in this particular project will be lucky if the unit transfer date occurs before 2012

Catcher...pardon the pun, but purchasers are in a bit of a Catch-22 situation with new builds. The vast majority of new condo developments place units up for sale before the city has given approval. Look at the new developments downtown - Leslieville Lofts, King East, Victory etc. etc. - none of which have been approved. The problem is, if a buyer waits until the approvals process is complete, the building is 80% sold. Ideally, the province (or city) would enact legislation to ensure a project has approval BEFORE being being sold...it'll never happen though because developers have too much clout and $$ cash strapped governments need.

Ideally, the province (or city) would enact legislation to ensure a project has approval BEFORE being being sold...

I completely agree with you. Just think of the wonders that consumer protection legislation could do for buyers. And well they are at it, maybe enact mandatory standards for the home renovation industry to stop crooked individuals from shoddy workmanship and sometimes, outright theft.

I do realize that this will never happen, so in the meantime, buyer be ware.

Back