News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.9K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 605     1 

Corktown District (King & Sumach, Streetcar, to 6s, Quadrangle)

• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
did I really say it doesn't work for hospitals eventhough you maybe correct in assuming I don't exactly care for the asethetics of a St Mike's or Toronto Western

???

I find it strange that Toy Factory Lofts is then acceptable to you. Is a prerequisite to you liking a project being not 100% new?

Toy factory is a perfect example - did they build the new section in brick? No, of course not, they put on a modern extension, and it looks modern - not tacky like corktown or Hudson.

"In the early 20th century, Corktown became home to many of the city's Macedonian immigrants, something Michael Ondaatje wrote about in his 1987 novel In the Skin of the Lion."

I know this is way off topic.. this is fiction, there were no Macedonians, they arrived from the Balkans and were predominately slavic speaking peoples.

Please continue...

let me make it clear - the aesthetics tend to suffer on these grown out of necessity buildings regardless if they 'work' or not (I appreciate the 401 richmond complex and salute its adaptive re-use but find it unattractive compare to other warehouse structures that retain their original shape and form

Toy factory is a perfect example - did they build the new section in brick? No, of course not, they put on a modern extension, and it looks modern - not tacky like corktown or Hudson.

The modern addition for Tip Top has enough common elements to work well however for Toy Factory & Broadview Loft the additions are best left to awkward

P.S. please enlighten us on what exactly you find tacky about hudson as it's decoration isminimal or is it a faux copy of a bygone era - is it an aversion to brick?

"In the early 20th century, Corktown became home to many of the city's Macedonian immigrants, something Michael Ondaatje wrote about in his 1987 novel In the Skin of the Lion."

I know this is way off topic.. this is fiction, there were no Macedonians, they arrived from the Balkans and were predominately slavic speaking peoples.

Please continue...

I know this is off-topic, but this post is nothing but thinly-veiled nationalism and has no place on this forum. You presume to tell ethnic groups what they can and can't call themselves, when in reality it's none of your business: the term "Macedonia" is in no way Greek, as the ancient Macedonians were not ethnically "greek" (a term which is itself a fiction, since it did not exist until relatively recently, in a historical sense) but rather an ethnically different, culturally hellenized people living to the north of what is modern Greece. The entire region was ethnically a mix of Dorians, Thracians and Phrygians, only the first of which were "greek" in any real way. Even if you were to conclusively demonstrate that the ancient Macedonians were related to Greeks, the question becomes: who owns the name "Macedonia", descendants of the proto-Greek relatives of the ancient Macedonians, or the people who have lived in the geographic area called Macedonia for 1500 years? Neither case is free from holes. As such, maybe you should let people call themselves whatever they like.

Things like this irritate me to no end... the Balkans is the last place on earth where nationalism should run rampant. Every country in the region, as little as they want to admit it for political reasons, is an ethnic mishmash, Greece included. Such is the legacy of 2000 years spent under various foreign multinational empires. Maybe it's this that begets rampant nationalism, actually. Either way, it's all hot air and silliness.

Apologies for taking this more off-topic, but the above post was offensive and I couldn't keep myself from replying.

As far as this project goes, I think Corktown has great potential due to its proximity to downtown and to streetcar lines. It just needs a few projects to kickstart development. Not sure if this is high-profile enough to do so, but we'll have to wait and see.

there's something subliminally dirty about the title of this thread.

"Corktown - where King meets Queen"

Did anyone attend the community consultation meeting (June 26) regarding this project? If yes, what was the consensus?

Does anyone have any updates on this project? The website says it's 85% pre-sold and phase II 2 is 50% sold but no real action...the last I heard was that a community working group was to be set-up (back in June). Did anyone attend?

I didn't attend but did get this posting from the Corktown e-newslist. I never heard anything more.
----------------------------------------------------

tonight's meeting, sponsored by City Hall Planning Department, was
attended by approximately 50 area residents; Councillor McConnell
attended the entire meeting to hear all of the comments.

A number of concerns were expressed, including the following:

a) townhouses proposed for Percy and Bright St, as currently
designed, do not blend in with the style of existing 100 year old
townhouses on these streets

b) some persons were unhappy with the proposed garbage solution: to
transport garbage via pickup truck from the 3 condos to a nearby
leased parking lot under the Adelaide ramp (off Sumach, south of
King). The city encourages public garbage collection (to permit
recycling and green box pickup) instead of private collection. The
larger space provided by this offsite parking lot is needed to
accomodate the large garbage trucks used by the city.

c) excessive height of proposed condo at 52 Sumach: concerns about
overlook, privacy, shadowing, increased traffic on Sumach (and more
visitors parking on adjacent streets)

To try and address concerns about 52 Sumach, the developer may revise
their plans to reduce the building to 5 stories, 16 metres high, with
approximately 40 units, no fitness centre, with landscaping instead
of an outdoor patio on the Sumach frontage.

I didn't attend but did get this posting from the Corktown e-newslist. I never heard anything more.
----------------------------------------------------

tonight's meeting, sponsored by City Hall Planning Department, was
attended by approximately 50 area residents; Councillor McConnell
attended the entire meeting to hear all of the comments.

A number of concerns were expressed, including the following:

a) townhouses proposed for Percy and Bright St, as currently
designed, do not blend in with the style of existing 100 year old
townhouses on these streets

b) some persons were unhappy with the proposed garbage solution: to
transport garbage via pickup truck from the 3 condos to a nearby
leased parking lot under the Adelaide ramp (off Sumach, south of
King). The city encourages public garbage collection (to permit
recycling and green box pickup) instead of private collection. The
larger space provided by this offsite parking lot is needed to
accomodate the large garbage trucks used by the city.

c) excessive height of proposed condo at 52 Sumach: concerns about
overlook, privacy, shadowing, increased traffic on Sumach (and more
visitors parking on adjacent streets)

To try and address concerns about 52 Sumach, the developer may revise
their plans to reduce the building to 5 stories, 16 metres high, with
approximately 40 units, no fitness centre, with landscaping instead
of an outdoor patio on the Sumach frontage.

Thank you for the update...

Some progress may have been made on the 52 Sumach front as the amenities for the entire project (Phase 1 & 2) are now to be located in the Phase 2 building at 510 King W. Which means buyers in Phase 1 (including myself in the interst of full disclosure) are going to be waiting quite awhile for amentities. As far as I can tell, Streetcar has not submitted any applications to the City for Phase 2. I'm anxious as a buyer for the project to get started, but I think Streetcar may have bitten off more than they can chew on this one. I honestly can't imagine Phase 2 being completed within the next 3 years.

As a buyer at 549 King E., I've continually checked Toronto & East York Community Council minutes for the approvals on this project. There's been nothing since the orginal proposal was deferred to community consultation in May/June. A quick check of the OMB site today uncovered a case number for this project although no hearings have been scheduled. I'm puzzled as to why this development has gone directly to the OMB without a ruling by city council. Is this normal operating procedure when a developer thinks his project will be rejected? Also, how long does an OMB ruling take? East Lofts which is right across from current condo was stuck in OMB limbo for a long time. Any insight would be appreciated!

As a buyer at 549 King E., I've continually checked Toronto & East York Community Council minutes for the approvals on this project. There's been nothing since the orginal proposal was deferred to community consultation in May/June. A quick check of the OMB site today uncovered a case number for this project although no hearings have been scheduled. I'm puzzled as to why this development has gone directly to the OMB without a ruling by city council. Is this normal operating procedure when a developer thinks his project will be rejected? Also, how long does an OMB ruling take? East Lofts which is right across from current condo was stuck in OMB limbo for a long time. Any insight would be appreciated!

Very interesting...what is the case number? I would think that the process (i.e. going to community and City Council) would have to be followed in order for the OMB to rule...

The case number is PL071130. I can only assume Streetcar has foreknowledge that council is going to reject the project at an upcoming meeting and have filed with the OMB in order to expedite a hearing (which I don't think can happen without a judgement from council).

There was a meeting between the Streetcar, the city planner and "concerned" residents on Jan 16th at city Hall to discuss revisions to 549 and 569 King St. E. Apparently some area residents were raising a stink about infractions (presumably against code) that the two buildings' current plans represented. I didn't hear anything anything out of that meeting. There seem to be many in the area who think building in the Corktown area should be restricted to 2-3 story brick townhomes.

Back