News   May 08, 2024
 323     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 437     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 654     0 

Condo Upgrades

but they are damn expensive..

That's the "Fugly" part to your message mister. I'd rather run a wire on top of the baseboard done well and painted the same color than have to spend hundreds for something so small.

Strip Oak Hardwood in M/Bedroom (10'x12') = $2850 ($23.75/ft2)
Strip Oak Hardwood in 2nd B/R (11.5'x9') = $2100 ($20.3/ft2)

Shouldn't I be able to purchase and install for about $10-12/ft2?

Of course you can purchase and install for cheaper, but just make sure
you get the same color and kind of wood. My partner and I purchased hardwood for the bedroom as well..especially because it's all open concept.

As a side note, regarding most of the upgrades, you're basically stuffing more cash into the builder's pocket. I don't care what they say, you're not getting any credit. I had the idea of "upgrading" the washer and dryer combo, but you're basically losing the money that you paid for it on the suite and giving further profit to the new one that you're buying. It's all a game.

such a cash grab (and I mean, some of the stuff is just nonsensical). If you can live with it, it makes sense to just do it when you move in...you'll save a LOT of money.

For the most part, upgrades never pay themselves back - even after market upgrades that are a lot cheaper. All builder's upgrades are a ripoff and you will never see any of the money you're investing in them back in resale - even hardwood floors in the bedroom, upgraded stoves, etc. will not get you any more money when you come to sell your home - if the buyer wants it - they know they can install it themselves and it won't affect the sale. Only massive deficiencies like horrible bathrooms/kitchens, etc. will.

I wouldn't upgrade anything except maybe hardwiring issues, electrical outlets etc. cause it's kinda hard to run wire through solid concrete after the fact ;)

For the most part, upgrades never pay themselves back - even after market upgrades that are a lot cheaper. All builder's upgrades are a ripoff and you will never see any of the money you're investing in them back in resale - even hardwood floors in the bedroom, upgraded stoves, etc. will not get you any more money when you come to sell your home - if the buyer wants it - they know they can install it themselves and it won't affect the sale. Only massive deficiencies like horrible bathrooms/kitchens, etc. will.
I'm not sure that's completely true. One of the reasons my place sold for 7% over asking was because of the hardwood floors. Apparently the buyer was quite happy it was already there. (Some of my neighbours had broadloom in the living room, and their units sold for significantly less, albeit a few months earlier.)

I agree I paid too much for my hardwood floors in the living room, but then again, the $1000 premium (over getting it done after the fact) was worth it to me, because it was ready when I moved in.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the possibility of "white boxes". I've always lamented the fact that the builders make so much profit on stuff that's more easily and cheaply done after the fact. They squeeze their trades pretty hard, so with a white box, the only people who seem to lose is the builders. Fine with me.

Aside from getting it done for a better price, the main advantage I see in having a white-box is getting to choose the finishes and craftspeople you want. Builders often only let you select from a small number of choices, and it's a hassle to negotiate for something else.

Hardwood Floors

I know it's a hassle to put hardwood floors in after moving in, but the builder is charging me $4900 to put it in both bedrooms while I can get it done after for $2300. $2,600 savings for two days of inconvenience sounds like a great deal to me. Damn that's a Caribbean trip for two :D

I know it's a hassle to put hardwood floors in after moving in, but the builder is charging me $4900 to put it in both bedrooms while I can get it done after for $2300. $2,600 savings for two days of inconvenience sounds like a great deal to me. Damn that's a Caribbean trip for two :D
Yeah, that's quite the difference. The difference in cost was much smaller for me. I think it was more like $2000+ (plus the cost of removing and disposing the broadloom) compared to $3000ish.

Yeah, that's quite the difference. The difference in cost was much smaller for me. I think it was more like $2000+ (plus the cost of removing and disposing the broadloom) compared to $3000ish.

still, $2000+ is a good chunk of change ... that's about 2 weeks of pay after-tax (or almost full month pre-tax).

Last edited:
still, $2000+ is a good chunk of change ... that's about 2 weeks of pay pre-tax (or almost full month after-tax).
No I mean it was going to be a little over $2000 after market vs $3000ish from the builder.

So I still overpaid by several hundred $ to $1000ish, but not anywhere near the $2600 extra that Ric was looking at paying.

That's not true at all. It's different for every case and not just your own.

I spent a few thousand dollars on upgrades such as hardwood in the bedroom and den, smooth ceilings, bathroom/kitchen tile, etc. I know that it would have been cheaper to do/contract out on my own but I felt paying the premium to have my unit the way I wanted PRIOR to moving in was well worth the cost. For me, I knew that I'd be less likely to make major changes (smoothing out the ceilings, replacing the tile, installing hardwood) if I was already living in the unit.

I spent a few thousand dollars on upgrades such as hardwood in the bedroom and den, smooth ceilings, bathroom/kitchen tile, etc. I know that it would have been cheaper to do/contract out on my own but I felt paying the premium to have my unit the way I wanted PRIOR to moving in was well worth the cost. For me, I knew that I'd be less likely to make major changes (smoothing out the ceilings, replacing the tile, installing hardwood) if I was already living in the unit.

How much did you pay for the smooth ceilings?

Back