676     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 926     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.1K     3 

Condo Upgrades

Upgrades Pricing

Just thought I would share pricing on upgrades for other's future reference:

• $46.25/linear feet = upgrade from 3/4" kitchen granite countertops to 1.5" square edge
  • $420 = add ceiling capped outlet
  • $450 = add electrical outlet (plug) in kitchen
  • $800-$1000 = change conventional stove to 'slide-in' stove
  • $1,373.75 = add 8 feet of under cabinet valance lighting in kitchen with matching trim

Does anyone think changing one of the tub to shower is worth it? The builder is charging $2000. Reguarly it's suppose to be $3500 for their normal quote. They said they had to tile the area so it's costly. The floor is marble so I assume the edge bounding the shower will be marble and added glass door. I was thinking of doing it after wards (not sure if it's cheaper) but the marble won't match.

• $46.25/linear feet = upgrade from 3/4" kitchen granite countertops to 1.5" square edge
  • $1,373.75 = add 8 feet of under cabinet valance lighting in kitchen with matching trim

- wow, that granite upgrade sounds expensive for only EDGING, and not fully.
- outlets prices sound typical of what i've heard of builders so far.
- to pay $800-1000 for a 'slide-in' stove, you might as well go aftermarket since you can probably find it cheaper and also get few $100 from selling the original, unless the builder is giving you a credit towards the $800-1000.
- $150 /linear foot for under cabinet lighting sounds expensive. what's the quality?

Does anyone think changing one of the tub to shower is worth it? The builder is charging $2000. Reguarly it's suppose to be $3500 for their normal quote. They said they had to tile the area so it's costly. The floor is marble so I assume the edge bounding the shower will be marble and added glass door. I was thinking of doing it after wards (not sure if it's cheaper) but the marble won't match.

Why lose a tub for only a shower?

I understand that some people don't take baths but eliminating a tub would exclude a good portion of potential future buyers when you want to sell.

Besides, I find it alot easier to clean a tub and surround VS. a shower with all the tile and the glass doors are a b*tch to keep clean. :D

Last edited:
Wow!

With prices like these, how do they make money?! :eek:

Builder installed - Rip-off, but convenient because it's done before you move in.

After market - Potentially much cheaper, but often a major PITA, especially if you actually need to live in the place during the work.

Some things like extra cable and phone jacks, etc. really need be done by the builder though, unless you don't mind ripping your walls apart.

Some things like extra cable and phone jacks, etc. really need be done by the builder though, unless you don't mind ripping your walls apart.

Well, not necessarily. You can run an extra cable on top of your baseboard and maybe even color it the same as the wall. Extra phone jacks aren't typically needed these days, as cordless phones come with an extra phone that simply needs an electrical outlet to operate.

Well, not necessarily. You can run an extra cable on top of your baseboard and maybe even color it the same as the wall.
Fugly. The only real way to run it externally and not have it be fugly is to run cable conduits... but they are damn expensive. You may as well pay to have it done by the builder.

Extra phone jacks aren't typically needed these days, as cordless phones come with an extra phone that simply needs an electrical outlet to operate.
DSL.

I understand that some people don't take baths but eliminating a tub would exclude a good portion of potential future buyers when you want to sell.

Besides, I find it alot easier to clean a tub and surround VS. a shower with all the tile and the glass doors are a b*tch to keep clean. :D

Well, there's 2 washrooms. I usually shower and hardly ever use the tub. So I was thinking of 1 tub and 1 shower. The unit I have are both tubs. I thought people would prefer 1 shower so they can have a choice at least.

i don't know much about stucco'd ceilings, but doesn't it seem like it's more work to put the popcorn stuff on than to just leave it smooth?

as for upgrades from the builder, a couple of things that you might want the builder to install for you are potlights and junction boxes for things like sconces. these upgrades typically mean that you might need to drill into the concrete in the wall or ceiling to install.

i don't know much about stucco'd ceilings, but doesn't it seem like it's more work to put the popcorn stuff on than to just leave it smooth?

as for upgrades from the builder, a couple of things that you might want the builder to install for you are potlights and junction boxes for things like sconces. these upgrades typically mean that you might need to drill into the concrete in the wall or ceiling to install.

Ceilings are uneven when unfishished so popcorn ceiling is easier as they don't have to grind and sand the ceiling down to a consistent level.

If you want to put a sconce on a wall that has concrete and it's too late to have wires installed you can buy flat wires to run up the wall and then you just paint over it and it's flat enough to look like party of the wall. Home depot has them I think.

AKS - I have the same set up in my unit: 2 bathrooms, one has a tub and shower, the other has a shower stall. Works just fine :)

AKS - I have the same set up in my unit: 2 bathrooms, one has a tub and shower, the other has a shower stall. Works just fine :)

Same here, love it ;) It's the way to go.

what is that? I thought all appliances were slide-in? Or does slide-in mean 'built-in'?

The charge is to change the stove from this:
WFE361LVB_WP-Zoom_436X510_SF.jpg

To this:
GY399LXUB_WP-Zoom_436X510_SF.jpg

it appears the builder has already applied any possible 'credit' from the original stove towards the 'upgraded' stove ... but yet it still costs $800-$1000 more :rolleyes:

Hardwood Floors

Strip Oak Hardwood in M/Bedroom (10'x12') = $2850 ($23.75/ft2)
Strip Oak Hardwood in 2nd B/R (11.5'x9') = $2100 ($20.3/ft2)

Shouldn't I be able to purchase and install for about $10-12/ft2?

Back