News   May 08, 2024
 103     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 569     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 484     1 

Condo Upgrades

thanks for the tip neubilder.
i haven't been lucky so far because the builder (Canderel Stoneridge) is not allowing any 'upgrades' or subtle changes to the units. This includes leaving the ceiling untreated, unfortunately. Their rationale is that because this condo project is so large, it would delay the project for occupancy if they allow custom requests.

This was essentially my only request and I feel like my request is valid and easy to do. Once that stucco is fired onto the ceiling, it is expensive (not to mention extremely dirty) to take down. The other alternative is to put up drywall on the ceilings and plaster over that, but that reduces the overall height. Very disappointed with the builder and this decision...

You're right that 1/2" does make a perceptible difference in height. If you could convince them to just not spray the chunks then you could easily get it hand troweled afterwards.

thanks for the tip neubilder.
i haven't been lucky so far because the builder (Canderel Stoneridge) is not allowing any 'upgrades' or subtle changes to the units. This includes leaving the ceiling untreated, unfortunately. Their rationale is that because this condo project is so large, it would delay the project for occupancy if they allow custom requests.

This was essentially my only request and I feel like my request is valid and easy to do. Once that stucco is fired onto the ceiling, it is expensive (not to mention extremely dirty) to take down. The other alternative is to put up drywall on the ceilings and plaster over that, but that reduces the overall height. Very disappointed with the builder and this decision...

I dealt with the same thing. We did the drywall over the ceilings but actually lost very little height. It also allowed us to installed little LED potlights that are pretty cool so it all worked out. But it was a HUGE mess getting it done.

Would it be considered an upgrade if i need a celling fan installed in both my bedrooms instead of just plain light fixtures ? At what point should i request this (electrical or studio appointment ?) and is this something that would be considered a costly upgrade ?

I am not handy so am thinking of making sure at least the support is there for the FAN and i am not sure if this is there by default. If any one can shed some light of their experience, that would be awesome. Thank You

Would it be considered an upgrade if i need a celling fan installed in both my bedrooms instead of just plain light fixtures ? At what point should i request this (electrical or studio appointment ?) and is this something that would be considered a costly upgrade ?

I am not handy so am thinking of making sure at least the support is there for the FAN and i am not sure if this is there by default. If any one can shed some light of their experience, that would be awesome. Thank You

It's doubtful there's a box in the ceiling for a light (or fan). Most new condos don't do that from my experience. If your floor is already built, then you have no chance if there isn't a box already. If it isn't built, then ask asap but expect to pay a lot for it. If there is a box, I doubt the contractor on site will install fans, you'll have to do that yourself after you move in (or hire someone).

My place and my girlfriend's place both have lights in the bedrooms (both new buildings). So, if there is a box, then I'd just hire an electrician to do it after yoru unit is ready. Builder will charge you way too much to do such a simple job.

I am discovering that upgrade markups vary wildly. My last place was 600 sq ft and the flooring upgrade (to engineered rosewood) cost me $7K. My new place is almost double the size, and the upgrade to real oak solid hardwood is costing me $6K. Same goes for quartz kitchen counter - last time it was a couple thousand, this time it's 700 bucks. I'm dealing with a MUCH smaller builder now, though, and last time the builder contracted the upgrades out to a third party, so there were a lot more people who needed to get paid along the way.

My place and my girlfriend's place both have lights in the bedrooms (both new buildings). So, if there is a box, then I'd just hire an electrician to do it after yoru unit is ready. Builder will charge you way too much to do such a simple job.

Thank You , I do not have problem installing the fans through a contractor other than the builder, but wasn't very sure if there is some thing special that should be in the celling to be able to hold the FAN (and if the light fixture is just enough) - I am assuming that's what you mean by a box that is required to install a fan, and i think that's something i cant install after the building is built -

Last edited:
Thank You , I do not have problem installing the fans through a contractor other than the builder, but wasn't very sure if there is some thing special that should be in the celling to be able to hold the FAN (and if the light fixture is just enough) - I am assuming that's what you mean by a box that is required to install a fan, and i think that's something i cant install after the building is built -

That's what I mean by a box. If there's a light installed in your ceilling, then you have a box.

You're lucky. Having a switched plug is quite common. It's a big pet peeve of mine.

I dealt with the same thing. We did the drywall over the ceilings but actually lost very little height. It also allowed us to installed little LED potlights that are pretty cool so it all worked out. But it was a HUGE mess getting it done.

I was wondering what options you were presented with in regards to getting a smooth ceiling and the associated costs. I am fixated on getting smooth ceilings and I'm still devastated that I am having issues with my builder. But that is a whole other topic for discussion

I am intrigued by the led pot lights you had installed. Are the bulbs changeable? I envision having pot lights illuminating the whole perimeter of my condo if possible.

Last edited:
We weren't given options -- we were told the builder wouldn't do it, so we had to wait until getting possession and then had to hire people to do it ourselves. Yes, the LED lights are changeable. They're small and don't give a ton of light -- you still need other lighting, but they do create a neat effect.

We weren't given options -- we were told the builder wouldn't do it, so we had to wait until getting possession and then had to hire people to do it ourselves. Yes, the LED lights are changeable. They're small and don't give a ton of light -- you still need other lighting, but they do create a neat effect.
Sorry when I was asking about the options I meant options of getting smooth ceilings with your third party trades. Was the only way to put up drywall or were there other options?

Ah ok -- sorry for misunderstanding. The other option was to remove the sprayed on stucco (the builder also wouldn't just leave the ceiling bare) and replaster. We've done that before and it was an even bigger mess :) We also thought that leaving the existing ceiling and adding the drywall would perhaps add a bit of extra soundproofing.

Thanks for the information. If its one thing that I am a stickler for, it's gonna be smooth ceilings when I move into my preconstruction condo. I was worried that if I were to have this done, would I have to wait until the condo registers? If the condo was still in occupancy phase, would that screw up my warranty and such with tarion? And lastly I know that newly built houses need a while to "settle out" after construction. This means that for things like furnishing a basement, the homeowners typically should wait a while before renovating. Does the same ring true for condos?

Back