News   Aug 06, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 961     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 557     0 

Colour Me Impressed: the New "old" Tile at St. Andrew Station

There was no significant renovation proposed for St. Andrew because the three renovations were meant to compliment the three new cultural institutions opened/renewed nearby (ROM, 4SC, AGO).

Personally, I hate the strong bluish light of the LEDs the TTC has installed at St. Andrew, and they might ruin certain stations on the Spadina line. I can't imagine bluish light working too well with rich shades of red, orange and brown.

Though again, it's only part true--the colour and general visual appearance evokes the old, but they're using Museum-esque vertical panels rather than tiles...

June 27

video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIqjVXEmyME

IMG_june-27-09-0090.JPG

IMG_june-27-09-0092.JPG

IMG_june-27-09-0093.JPG

IMG_june-27-09-0094.JPG

IMG_june-27-09-0095.JPG

Channels coming off northbound
IMG_june-27-09-0096.JPG

Last edited:
Who knew there was a St. Andre West station. Seriously TTC, hire some competent designers who have at least completed grade 8 art. If it wasn't for that, i'd be pretty happy with the new panels.

Who knew there was a St. Andre West station. Seriously TTC, hire some competent designers who have at least completed grade 8 art. If it wasn't for that, i'd be pretty happy with the new panels.

The spacing between the E and W is exactly the same as the spacing of all the other characters. They did nothing wrong.

It's that old font they are using. Perhaps they should find something that's a bit more professional :)

Looks nice overall, but I agree with the St. Andre W comment. The EW pair is not supposed to have the same spacing as the other characters. I think it's called kerning.

The look is good. I agree the character spacing is off. I am also concerned about the warping at the top. This is a brand new installation... how can it be warped? Are they just using a plastic sheet of wallpaper?

I'm extremely happy that they have returned to the classic font but they just need to fix that kerning between the E and W. As a designer myself, that item should have stood out for anyone in their design department. The only problem is that the design dept of the TTC is probably a bunch of non-designers using corel draw.

Is that ceiling panel piece the new ceiling treatment? I wonder if they are going to be painting the roof black to help hide the brake dust.

^^^ It would be a lot easier to convince TTC and the public that retaining the original station designs is a good idea if they still looked like that. The current condition makes the campaign for redesign so much easier, especially with St. Patrick.

Back