News   Jul 17, 2024
 158     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 560     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 952     2 

Colour Me Impressed: the New "old" Tile at St. Andrew Station

A good idea, but I wonder if it's possible. What was uncovered at St. Andrew looked badly damaged and many sections were then further destroyed to test the integrity of the wall underneath. Is preserving any Vitrolite (aside from Eglinton) still feasible?

And back to the topic, they should really just remove the new wall panels and put back the slats if they don't plan to finish the job. The wall panels are mismatched among themselves even, and they look dirty.

Well, I'm sure that St Andrew's and Osgoode are virtually the *only* stations where older Vitrolite remains under the present cladding--the nature of the original Yonge-line renos is such where the 1954 line stuff would have been trashed rather than overlaid. So yes, it's not feasible, because there's nothing old left to restore, and nobody manufactures Vitrolite these days. Except at Eglinton (and various bits of edging-tile at Queen, and who knows where else it's buried besides St Andrew and Osgoode) it's neither a functional nor a viable proposition.

And of course, the nature of the St Andrew's renos is such that it would appear to address the "unrestorable Vitrolite" circumstance, without trying to recreate the material holus bolus.

Well, I'm sure that St Andrew's and Osgoode are virtually the *only* stations where older Vitrolite remains under the present cladding--the nature of the original Yonge-line renos is such where the 1954 line stuff would have been trashed rather than overlaid.

A couple of the original Yonge line stations actually do have the original vitrolite remaining underneath the present cladding. Take a look at where the station platform walls meet the floor: if the wall isn't flush with the floor there's likely vitrolite hiding underneath. St Clair is definitely one of them; in fact, last I checked there's a piece of the current tile missing near the south end of the northbound platform where you can see the original yellow vitrolite wall behind. Agreed that it would be silly to try and recover it, but it's there.

A couple of the original Yonge line stations actually do have the original vitrolite remaining underneath the present cladding. Take a look at where the station platform walls meet the floor: if the wall isn't flush with the floor there's likely vitrolite hiding underneath. St Clair is definitely one of them; in fact, last I checked there's a piece of the current tile missing near the south end of the northbound platform where you can see the original yellow vitrolite wall behind. Agreed that it would be silly to try and recover it, but it's there.

Ah that probably explains why the wall covering at Dundas juts out unnaturally over the platform.

Other Yonge stations where there is vitrolite intact under the newer tiles are Summerhill, College, Dundas and King. St. Clair and Summerhill were covered over at the same time in the mid-80s. At Union there is still a strip of yellow vitrolite on the edges of the end wall at the west end of the platform. Vitrolite at King is visible on the northbound platform just north of the Commerce Court exit between two ads.

20120911205556.jpg

This thread is back from the dead, as the TTC has just issued a tender for a new wall-cladding system for St. Andrew Station.

I'm assuming this is for the track-side walls.

No word on what the exact tile system they settled on, here's hoping its attractive.

http://www.merx.com/English/Supplie...nm&searchtype=&hcode=iDfvh+VKLhuaZvDBZtisfw==

I'm not sure the outcome of the first tender - if it was awarded or not. However there is now a second tender - http://www.merx.com/English/SUPPLIE...ORT=0&IS_SME=N&hcode=hkxDkieI1ZVOTsu08DCElA==

The original was for 400 wall cladding panels, and the new one is for 448, but for both St. George and St. Andrew. Not sure if they need some extra ... or what this means.

The original tender was for 400

I'm not sure the outcome of the first tender - if it was awarded or not. However there is now a second tender - http://www.merx.com/English/SUPPLIER_Menu.asp?WCE=Show&TAB=3&PORTAL=MERX&State=7&id=PR256378&src=osr&FED_ONLY=0&ACTION=&rowcount=&lastpage=&MoreResults=&PUBSORT=2&CLOSESORT=0&IS_SME=N&hcode=hkxDkieI1ZVOTsu08DCElA%3d%3d

The original was for 400 wall cladding panels, and the new one is for 448, but for both St. George and St. Andrew. Not sure if they need some extra ... or what this means.

The original tender was for 400

Could be spares or spec wrong in the first place.

Just as long as they don't go with the previous which looks awful. You cannot have bright white tiles on a wall you can't wash that gets sprayed w ith black dust every time a train passes.

Back