News   Jul 17, 2024
 169     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 579     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 959     2 

Colour Me Impressed: the New "old" Tile at St. Andrew Station

St. Andrew Renovations

I've notice in the past couple of days the TTC seems to be replacing the paneling at the St. Andrew station with a copycat version of the orginal vitrolite tiles. They even went as far as to restore the original "Station Font" that was design for the TTC in the 50's.

Does anyone know how much work the TTC is going to put into St. Andrew? and will the Osgood station also be restored to its original design as well?

ST%20Andrew%201.JPG

ST%20Andrew%202.JPG

ST%20Andrew%204.JPG

Source:Transit Toronto

It's definitely a big improvement over the ugly slats, but I hate how the light glare shows that the surface is uneven. Looks cheap, as usual.

I think the TTC really needs to think of doing something about those ceilings, even with the old slats or tiles, the station would look good if the ceilings were cleaner and the lighting was better. Installing those sheppard-style platform edge sign would give another good visual distraction too and add color to the station.

Have any more new panels gone up recently?

Superman: I agree the ceiling needs a fresh coat of paint, or a good wash. And the Sheppard-style platform edge signs would look great throughout the system.

Last edited:
Have any more new panels gone up recently?

Superman: I agree the ceiling needs a fresh coat of paint, or a good wash. And the Sheppard-style platform edge signs would look great throughout the system.

No new panels have gone up. At this point they're seeing how the material fairs before doing more.

Last edited:
I got a reply from the TTC to my inquiry on the latest on the wall treatment at St. Andrew station.

Since it's instalation, the material began to buckle along the top. After numerous attempts at reinforcing panels, a new version was installed on March 29, 2010. The buckling has been reduced but is still evident, and thus does not look good. Plant Maintenance Engineering has developed a new fastening system that is being reviewed by the TTC this week. Date of manufacture of the new systemre is to be determined.

Can't they come up with better designs though, if it's not the public toilets look it's something plain. And at Museum Station they should have at least coloured in details on those pillars.

I forgot to mention: there is construction going on in the middle section of the platform. It appears to be on the ceiling as they have taken down the slats. I'm guessing they're extending the work they've done to the ceiling at the south end.

Can't they come up with better designs though, if it's not the public toilets look it's something plain. And at Museum Station they should have at least coloured in details on those pillars.

I agree. We should use brighter colors in the station, I think it'd make stations look less dingy, and add some spice to it. I don't know why we're stuck with those light boring colors.

I disagree. Keep true to the stations original look. They added "spice" at a number of stations that only ended up looking worn and dated in a few years time.

Back