News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.8K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.1K     0 

CityPlace: St. Jamestown in waiting?

whoa cowboy your not talking about CP are you or Toronto in general?

Living high up in a condo, there's a lot that can go unnoticed. Speaking with management and the concierges of my complex (N, Gallery, West One), there have been incidents of attempted rape, sexual assault, shootings, and robberies this year alone. And these are only the reported cases.

People have argued this occurs in other condo complexes, which is true, but there is a tangible higher rate of incidents in cityplace.

Given these events, I've come to believe it has less to do with income level or social stature, but the transient nature of many of the residents. It's not cheap to rent a unit at Cityplace, but 80+% of residents are renters and there is an unbelieveably high turnover.

I'm not against the community housing, but believe the proposed project is too dense and too big without accompanying infrastracture, and it would be great if someone, perhaps here, can come up with a great idea of encouraging less turnover in the community housing. Perhaps larger suites to accomodate families? I would think having many parents with children, adds to the community, by providing a group of individuals interested in the well-being of their kids, and consequently the well-being of the neighbourhood - sort of a natural, societal way of checks and balances.

I haven't heard of any of those incidents other than the ones posted in the bulletin. I am surprised there is rape going on here. The stairways are locked. The elevators are locked unless you have a fob. The only way people could get up here is if they live in the actual building or they're bringing strangers into the building. It's not surprising due to some of the nature of the crowd. I used to see a lot of people carrying alcohol up the elevator. Also I've seen people bring in their friends. Because some didn't seem to have fobs. As for the number of renters. I'm not too sure. I seldom talk to any of the people living in the building other than maybe say a few words on the elevator up or down.

I really have no idea how one would go about getting rid of all those people committing crimes, unless there's a neighbourhood watch to snitch on the tenants and get them kicked out. I know for one thing there's a girl living at WestOne who has a reputation of renting and subletting without paying the owners. Also claims she owns the unit when she's actually renting and I doubt paying rent for it. Hard to get rid of her too since she has keys to so many units. I also wonder what types of guys she takes into the building.

AKS exactly why my friend left CP,she didnt feel safe from day one.People roaming around the buildings seemingly lost,a lot of "guest" of renter/owners using the common space like it was their own,probably more drunks per unit than any condo project in the GTA...Im not kidding when I visit her on the weekends I swear everytime there was some one "not there" in the common areas or riding with you in the elevators that smelled like they had a bottle of J Walker.

Well, I doubt I'll be around all that much longer to witness crimes at WestOne committed on me. I won't be in the country even.

It's sad to see people ruin the building though. It just takes some bad people to ruin it for everyone else.

Cityplace park

It's sad to see people ruin the building though.

WestOne is the most poorly built and designed building I have ever lived in. I won't bother to re list the problems (non tenant related) as they have already been stated. Most decent tenants in here get sick of the constant building problems and lack of a BoD who care to fix things in a timely manor and move out. I'm happily looking to leave here soon.

I have lived in Cityplace for 6 years, I have nothing but good things to say.

I feel safer there. Especially with the fort knox style security. And I don't have an issue with the construction either.

WestOne is the most poorly built and designed building I have ever lived in. I won't bother to re list the problems (non tenant related) as they have already been stated. Most decent tenants in here get sick of the constant building problems and lack of a BoD who care to fix things in a timely manor and move out. I'm happily looking to leave here soon.

hmm...I can't say I've had any real structural problems. The only big issue was the cracked window. But after rushing them to fix it, it's alright now. The other big issue is carpets but there's no budget to change them so it's hard to blame the board. Sometimes there's elevator problems, but that happens with many buildings once in awhile. Sometimes electricity is out. It happens. At least there's less fire alarms ringing at night. I had them frequently (once every few months or sometimes several in a week) when I was in Scarborough.

I feel safer there. Especially with the fort knox style security. And I don't have an issue with the construction either.

security means nothing if the renters are causing the problem,since they have all the excess cards and keys they can roam basically any part of the complex at will.Add into the mix of friends staying over and total lack of respect for the neighbors CP could be a real problem when the area gets a lot more tenants.The issue is the high amount of renters and how nomadic the sub leasers are.ALOT of units are rented to college and university students and when they leave at the end of the year they sublease to other people for two or three months until they come back.Those are the troublesome ones.

security means nothing if the renters are causing the problem,since they have all the excess cards and keys they can roam basically any part of the complex at will.Add into the mix of friends staying over and total lack of respect for the neighbors CP could be a real problem when the area gets a lot more tenants.The issue is the high amount of renters and how nomadic the sub leasers are.ALOT of units are rented to college and university students and when they leave at the end of the year they sublease to other people for two or three months until they come back.Those are the troublesome ones.

ducati0000;328334; you clearly don't know what you are talking about. At Cityplace An access card only gets you through to YOUR area, YOUR floor and the shared area's like the pool.

In my building, I can't even go to the south side of MY FLOOR. I can't even visit my friend who lives on another floor, I have to meet them in the lobby, then go up. Access cards give you very limited access.

Regarding the high amount of renters; This is true in the early stages of any building. Typically, developers target investors before the building is built. And those inverters generally sell after the building is built, or matured. It's just part of maturity process.

For example, My building Optima started with 60% Investors/renters and 40% owners. 3 years later it was 40% Investors/renters and 60% owners. Now it's 20% Investors/renters and 80% owners. The numbers are similar in Matrix and Apex. This is a common occurrence.

It's uneducated assumptions like ducati's above that give the condo market a bad name.

I have to agree here, CP has been good to me since I moved in almost 2 yrs ago.

I hate hearing bad things about CityPlace. It's in the perfect location and I love the look of these condos. So hearing there's a large proportion of crime and it's at risk of becoming a slum dissapoints me.

I hate hearing bad things about CityPlace. It's in the perfect location and I love the look of these condos. So hearing there's a large proportion of crime and it's at risk of becoming a slum dissapoints me.

It's not at risk of becoming a slum.

At least, not a "Robert Taylor Homes" kind of slum. But I can see it at risk of being a different kind of hellhole of fly-by-nighters, sleazeballs, high-rise hookers, etc...

Back