News   Jul 16, 2024
 486     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 537     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 668     2 

City Workers Strike 2009

Last time I checked, they have to negotiate that with the city, hence the strike.

Last time I checked, there was not a lot of negotiating going on, just "give us what we want, or else." They're really just waiting to be legislated back, not negotiate.

The public's opinion is irrelevant IMO. As I mentioned earlier, the city could propose to slash all City worker's salaries by 50% and they would be happy with this. As long as their "tax dollars are saved".

The irony is the public is just as greedy if not more so. They have no interest in seeing city workers get a fair deal... they simply want to save their own money.

is a 40% wage premium ALREADY paid to city workers vs. private sector not considered 'fair' ??? ( and we're not even talking about the benefits too)

or the fact that City garbage collectors are working at 50% efficiency compared to their pvt counterparts in Etobicoke?

links have been provided throughout this thread to back up my comments.

if we were to factor both wages and efficiency, then City garbage collectors are being paid 170% more than pvt workers !

i wouldn't be surprised if this was similar for the other jobs ...

cashiers - $23+/hr;
meter readers - $25+/hr ... hell, my meter HAS NOT BEEN READ for 2 consecutive billings.

Last time I checked, there was not a lot of negotiating going on, just "give us what we want, or else." They're really just waiting to be legislated back, not negotiate.

The point is -- they don't decide what's fair for themselves. They cannot say 'our salary is now X more,' and that's that. They can decide all they want, but it's not a go until the city agrees.

Moss Park Outdoor Dump Site

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Moss Park June 2nd -

Moss Park July 20th -

They can decide all they want, but it's not a go until the city agrees.

Rubbish. The city doesn't have to agree to back-to-work legislation or what an arbitrator will decide once this legislation is invoked. The city is taken right out of the equation (except the part where they have to pay for it). This has been the unions plan from the get-go. Thankfully, they made a gross miscalculation.

They may have to end up negotiating, but they sure don't want to. They're holding out for a heat wave and an arbitrator.

We are in the 21st century and these workers still want to bank in sick days and carry over sick days from year to year...
I work for one of the top 5 banks and we can carry vacation days over for only 30 days into the next year. Use them up by Jan 30th or forfeit..... these guys want to carry over 18 sick days a year.. what a joke..

We are in the 21st century and these workers still want to bank in sick days and carry over sick days from year to year...
I work for one of the top 5 banks and we can carry vacation days over for only 30 days into the next year. Use them up by Jan 30th or forfeit..... these guys want to carry over 18 sick days a year.. what a joke..

unfortunately, many in the city, myself included, were ignorant to the pay and benefits city employees received.

now that this has been brought up to the forefront, i don't think most people are sympathetic to their 'plight'.

it seems the only ones that feel entitled to banking sick days are the union members, even though the majority of the companies and gov't agencies in the real world have done away with it.

I work for one of the top 5 banks and we can carry vacation days over for only 30 days into the next year. Use them up by Jan 30th or forfeit...
Wow, that seems a bit draconian ... employers don't want excess vacation sitting their for many reasons, ... but I really don't see a problem with taking them in say ... February. I'm not even sure if that's entirely legal ... at least for the 10 days a year you are guaranteed by law ... they can probably do what they like with any days after that.

Wow, that seems a bit draconian ... employers don't want excess vacation sitting their for many reasons, ... but I really don't see a problem with taking them in say ... February.
It's common and I'm told it's legal.

My workplace is the same way BTW, but we try to be a bit more flexible.

It's an interesting side-effect of these labour disputes that they tend to reveal that, in addition to unionized employees sometimes beging overpaid, there are a lot of people out there working non-unionized jobs who are getting screwed by their employer.

getting screwed? where did you read that?

anyways, now it sounds like GO Train engineers are threatening to go on strike too. How long now with all the rotting garbage and the impending traffic jams before someone blows a fuse and kills somebody? Suddenly I am feeling glad I dont live or work in the big city...

^You alone will ensure that of course.

McGuinty is quite popular and the new Conservative far right wing leader with close connections to Mike Harris is certainly not the one to defeat him.

Dalton McGuinty has done an outstanding job in reversing the war on Toronto and social services while walking a very fine line in balancing his political capital.

Wow. This is one of the funniest things I've read in a while.. I would say at the same time, McGuinty has alienated the middle class with his tax increases. Toronto will still vote for Liberals and NDP, but the 905 and the rest of Ontario will vote in the Tories and finally the province will be a better place.

the 905 and the rest of Ontario will vote in the Tories and finally the province will be a better place.

oh yes, Ontario was all bubble gum and roses during the Tories 2 terms of downloading provincial responsibilities to the cities; and sold off assets for pennies on the dollar invested to their pals ( i.e. hwy 407)

Back