News   Jul 16, 2024
 642     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 577     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 718     2 

City Workers Strike 2009

^You alone will ensure that of course.

McGuinty is quite popular and the new Conservative far right wing leader with close connections to Mike Harris is certainly not the one to defeat him.

Dalton McGuinty has done an outstanding job in reversing the war on Toronto and social services while walking a very fine line in balancing his political capital.

^You alone will ensure that of course.

McGuinty is quite popular and the new Conservative far right wing leader with close connections to Mike Harris is certainly not the one to defeat him.

Dalton McGuinty has done an outstanding job in reversing the war on Toronto and social services while walking a very fine line in balancing his political capital.

damn right I will :) ....kidding

no I'm just saying that don't be too over-confident about McGuinty's popularity.

Calm down andrejeffry we're trying to have a rational discussion here. If you can't control your Mil-guinty rage then maybe you should head to greener pastures.

no I won't be in this thread for too long. My rational is long gone on this issue. Just came in here to scream and curse the unions, miller and mcguinty. I'm done and out of this thread. You can continue your rational discussion now.

peace

"Sorry, This bin is full" lol No kidding!

JULY17-09010.jpg

^ ^ ^

even though it's beyond full, i'm still proud to see that people are trying to fit it in and have not resorted to littering.

^^ It almost looks like they purposely made extra space to shove garbage with that tape/plastic wrap.

EDIT: lol at the advertisement on the bin "375 000 metric tonnes of recycling annually" Not if the union can help it! :p

Stupid strike

Seriously F@%k this strike.

I am in a union (not CUPE) and I do not support this strike. Believe it or not I think the city (Miller, negotiators, managers) are right on this one. The city's financial problems were well known, well documented, and left over form the Harris years downloading of services. I am sorry but even having paid sick days is a serious privilege on its own, banking them and cashing them out at retirement is RIDICULOUS!

How can 24,000 go so long without working / getting paid! Mortgages, rent, credit cards, & bills don't care if you're on strike or not, HOW do these people go so long without getting a pay cheque. I'd be freaking if I was forced to be on strike.

This is ridiculous, the union needs to make concessions, the union conditions are already far better than non-union, they should open their eyes, back down, end this strike and get their sorry a$$es back to work.

And for all the cynics/Miller-bashers, well this proves he is not a "union-loving" NDP'er. Exactly the same thing is happening as it did when Bob Rae was Premier of Ontario. He needed to cut some costs, so he brought in Rae-days (unpaid days off work) and the unions turned against him. Imagine that - an unpaid day every now & then to hang with your family...oooooh that's so terrible!

I support Miller & the city managers in this instance. They are standing their ground, dealing with their financial struggles and not giving in.

Grass cutting

Is not one of the striking unions responsible for cutting the boulevard grass on Sheppard Avenue East? If this is the case someone is cutting their grass both figuratively and actually in Scarborough east of Markham Road.

Please don't tell me that this operation is contracted out as I would rather attribute to anti union fairies.

Is not one of the striking unions responsible for cutting the boulevard grass on Sheppard Avenue East? If this is the case someone is cutting their grass both figuratively and actually in Scarborough east of Markham Road.

Please don't tell me that this operation is contracted out as I would rather attribute to anti union fairies.

it depends on what part of the boulevard.

i noticed most areas in front of commercial properties are being cut, probably by contracted private maintenance.

the grassy areas in front of the malvern TTC station has not been cut, but in front of pvt businesses it has been cut.

Last edited:
The compensation details from the City of Toronto website.

This is the link for the local 79 agreement:
www.toronto.ca/offer/loc79-former-ca-summary.htm

This is the link for the local 416 agreement:
www.toronto.ca/offer/loc416-former-ca-summary.htm

a frigging Meter Reader makes $27.45/hour !?!?!

they don't even come read the water meters anymore ... mines been estimated for the past 2 billings.
It's hilarious. They're grossly overpaid and have great benefits yet they're still not happy. In this recession, people are not going to be receptive to greed. Hell, we got no bonuses this year, and many areas had raise freezes. No sympathy from me.

On top of that, I really hope this thing doesn't drag on even longer as it's really goign to *$*^! with the occupancy date of my place.

On top of that, I really hope this thing doesn't drag on even longer as it's really goign to *$*^! with the occupancy date of my place.

How will it mess with your occupancy date? I could understand your registration date as it needs to be inspected, etc., but to my understanding occupancy doesn't involve a lot of city inspection - it's kind of left to the builder.

How will it mess with your occupancy date? I could understand your registration date as it needs to be inspected, etc., but to my understanding occupancy doesn't involve a lot of city inspection - it's kind of left to the builder.
Don't they still require the city to determine whether the building is safe or not to live in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider

it depends on what part of the boulevard.

i noticed most areas in front of commercial properties are being cut, probably by contracted private maintenance.

the grassy areas in front of the malvern TTC station has not been cut, but in front of pvt businesses it has been cut.
------------------------------------------------------------

I am talking about literally miles of boulevard, much of which in Malvern is bordered by the back fences of residential properties.

Back