News   May 24, 2024
 443     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 447     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 290     0 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

I dont know if this was mentioned already, or if anyone even noticed, but under Canada's Economic Action Plan (Stimulus money)... Dundas Square has received money to build a permanent storage facility.

Well, I hope we don't get another "shipyard crane" crappy add on. Hopefully the storage area is built underground. I can't think of anywhere it could go without being and looking obtrusive.

That would be great for the area. I've always loved some of the squares in Europe that have grand hotels surrounding the area with lovely street level restaurants and patios.

Me too. Like in Paris, but that took bold action and from what I remember, the leader took considerable unpopularity and flack to make Paris look the way it does now.

Even in a city like Vienna and Prague, it took hundreds of years. Toronto is relatively new by comparison. Who knows, maybe something will happen and Christopher Hume becomes an icon 100 years from now. :)

Originally Posted by CodeMonkey
You work for CTV? If you do, would you know what their plans are for the former newsroom?

Officially announced today, BNN will be moving into the old CITYTV newsroom.

I can shed some info on what I've heard.

Omni was always scheduled to move into October. I can confirm they have been training on new equipment the last 2 weeks. Sets are starting to come together also. They are much more functional than they were a week ago.

Also to note with OMNI is they do nothing live so they can take their time.

The torch, besides possibly some signage changes I doubt there will be much done with this. A lot of equipment is mounted to it as is. For sure it's not coming down.

HAKIM Optical. From what I understand Rogers already bought the land which Hakim sits on. Hakim is moving to the building under construction between the Bond St. hotel and CITY TV.

Senator / empty building. I know the empty building is asking an insane rate for the land so Rogers has budged. Senator is willing to negotiate but no point if the land in between is not available.

Parking lot south of the building. Rogers has been in talks with the lot and they have a few ideas of what they want to do with it e.g. build more tier parking for production vehicles or buy it straight out to redevelop.

City of Toronto is very happy with the presence of CITY TV. I have not heard of any talk where they would change the square to help us. From what I understand the Square is still run like a business so we can't just decide to go set up something and shoot it if we feel like it.

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised the torch wasn't included in the plans. Seems like it could have been a relatively easy retrofit for a visible icon at this location.

I believe the torch wasn't touched as it's not just a cosmetic element.

It houses quite a bit of power and misc. other things. Granted that may just be power for the screens on the torch.

Keep in mind there was a few factors working against Rogers. From what I understand a structural engineer advised Rogers it would be better to just knock the building down and build from ground up. As CITY TV was a tenant in the CTV building at 299 this wasn't a real option as we could not wait 3-4 years for a building to be complete.

The old Olympic Spirit building had a lot of wasted space and some things they were not able to change. There are 2 stair cases here that lead nowhere. (only 1 flight to nowhere, but nowhere nonetheless)

To clear up space on the ground floor for shooting they decided to take out a support column and put in a support structure on 2nd floor instead. When this process occurred the above levels shifted just enough where the 4th floor is not leveled. Not noticeable to an employee but put a ball on the ground and it'll roll the same way every time.

Keep in mind there was a few factors working against Rogers. From what I understand a structural engineer advised Rogers it would be better to just knock the building down and build from ground up. As CITY TV was a tenant in the CTV building at 299 this wasn't a real option as we could not wait 3-4 years for a building to be complete.

Even still, that is what should have been done.

I wounder what their planing for the HAKIM Optical place if they already own the land. A random guess would have a new building that's connected to the torch via skybridge or have two or three floors over Dundas St connected from the torch to the new building.

The priority now is to get OMNI in the building and fully functional.

The all news channel will come after that but from what I hear they are in no rush because #1 CP24 really hasen't done anything to establish themselves #2 budgeting. I suspect they want to be more careful with their money.

As for the Hakim Optical land. From what I hear the plan is to use it just for parking for now e.g. spots for VIP's until they figure out what to do with the land. Part of this is because they still want the 2 buildings directly south and possibly the parking lot. If they get those then I can see them making some kind of connection as the south end of the building is just stair cases as of now.

As for tearing the building down again it was not an option. We were a tenant in the building of our competition. Moving us to lakeshore short term was not an option either.

It should be noted that the tracks that the streetcar tracks running under City TV is still owned by the TTC. They don't want to give it up as they want to retain it as an emergency turnaround. That being said they have not used it for over 2 years since it's been a construction zone.

The base of the torch on ground level is currently unoccupied. There was talk about putting a little radio booth in there which could broadcast to any of the Rogers owned stations. During the Olympic Spirit days it was a cafe and a few people have already approached Rogers to ask about renting it out as a cafe again.

An earlier poster commented about how the "deck" railing needs a paint job. I'll bring that up as it does look pretty nasty on air.

On another side the giant billboard on Dundas that faces north towards the alley beside Hakim apparently would generate 1million in ad space sales if it wasn't currently occupied by a Rogers sign. I can't imagine how much revenue space on the torch would go for.

Last edited:
I can shed some info on what I've heard.

Also to note with OMNI is they do nothing live so they can take their time.

Actually, OMNI produces 4 hours of news programming every day from Monday to Friday, divided among 5 shows, INCLUDING 2 HOURS OF LIVE NEWS on each of those days. OMNI news Cantonese Edition airs live between 9-10 pm; Mandarin Edition 5-5:30, and South Asian Edition between 8-8:30. The other newscasts are the Portuguese and Italian editions. In addition, OMNI produces several specials and weekend programs, many of which are also aired live throughout the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
The priority now is to get OMNI in the building and fully functional.

The all news channel will come after that but from what I hear they are in no rush because #1 CP24 really hasen't done anything to establish themselves #2 budgeting. I suspect they want to be more careful with their money.

They better hurry soon; word through the grape vine is that CTV will be launching CP24 HD soon, as it was already approved under CHUM in 2006-2007. How HD is going to work with that channel who knows:rolleyes:. But i would think Rogers would want to get a head start on promoting before they lose potential viewers.

On another side the giant billboard on Dundas that faces north towards the alley beside Hakim apparently would generate 1million in ad space sales if it wasn't currently occupied by a Rogers sign. I can't imagine how much revenue space on the torch would go for.

I remember this, it was on this thread that part of the sale agreement of the torch between Rogers and PenEquity was Rogers couldn't put any ad's up until ~4 years after the sale date. PenEquity didn't want competition for awhile.

I don't think OMNI actually does anything "live" from what I've been told it's live to tape. Granted i could be wrong here. I've never had to deal directly with OMNI yet.

CP24 going HD doesn't mean anything. CITY TV, CTV are fully HD and it's not like by being HD makes more viewers watch. There's just more stuff in the frame and a better picture. That being said it's possible they could add in extra information for the HD 16:9 box

Back