News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 846     0 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

Interested to know where you got those debt figures? I had lunch there recently with someone from a company that was in the process of going through some due dilligence prior to a possible bid for the space and the debt figures they quoted me were substantially higher than that (really substantially higher)

I was hopeing someone would ask that. http://documentcentre.eycan.com/Pages/Main.aspx?SID=108 first report states how much they owe and how much they had at the time the report was filed

Watched Cityline and CityNews the other day and I have to say the views aren't what I expected. I was hopeful we'd be seeing people milling about in Yonge Dundas Square, but all I see are boring streets and walls. You don't feel as though you're in the middle of anything exciting.

Yeah, they're looking east down Dundas which is pretty bland. Even the weather guy's view of the square is just a green screen. They could be filming from a bunker in Burlington and get the same affect.

Watched Cityline and CityNews the other day and I have to say the views aren't what I expected. I was hopeful we'd be seeing people milling about in Yonge Dundas Square, but all I see are boring streets and walls. You don't feel as though you're in the middle of anything exciting.

I haven't seen Wednesday or Thursday's broadcasts on my PVR yet (I'm following their TIFF coverage) but they are using the outside areas from the 4th floor every broadcast so far for CityTV News at 6, most often to open the show. Three common angles are using the signage in the Square as a backdrop (most common), facing TLS and down Victoria Street (the railings behind them need to be painted!). Your comment about the absence of people in these shots is quite valid although they have used remote cameras to broadcast from the areas around their new home with plenty of people shuffling about behind the on-screen talent (Gord, Anne, Merella, Michael Kuss etc.).

I haven't seen Wednesday or Thursday's broadcasts on my PVR yet (I'm following their TIFF coverage) but they are using the outside areas from the 4th floor every broadcast so far for CityTV News at 6, most often to open the show. Three common angles are using the signage in the Square as a backdrop (most common), facing TLS and down Victoria Street (the railings behind them need to be painted!). Your comment about the absence of people in these shots is quite valid although they have used remote cameras to broadcast from the areas around their new home with plenty of people shuffling about behind the on-screen talent (Gord, Anne, Merella, Michael Kuss etc.).

I noticed that too! I was wondering if the rust was partially a result of the salty tears of the losing bid.

A few days ago, on this very forum, someone aired concerns about the stage blocking the view of the square and after having watched a couple broadcasts, the concern was well founded. You really feel as though you're away from a sort of 'urban excitement' and, in the same respect, the 'everyday' of Queen West.

I noticed that too! I was wondering if the rust was partially a result of the salty tears of the losing bid.

A few days ago, on this very forum, someone aired concerns about the stage blocking the view of the square and after having watched a couple broadcasts, the concern was well founded. You really feel as though you're away from a sort of 'urban excitement' and, in the same respect, the 'everyday' of Queen West.

It's not just the stage, Y+D Square graduates upward as it approaches the east end of the Square. Not much that can be done about it given the underground parking beneath.

^ Well, if the "back" of the stage wasn't used to store crowd control gates, chairs, tables, etc. the steps on the East end would be used for their intended purpose: for people to sit on and congregate.

The square was designed without a front or back, it's the management of the square that has given the East end that function. A proper stage canopy that doesn't turn its back on the East will go a long way to fixing that. The original stage canopy was designed diagonally and with opened ends on both sides.

In the future, when a hotel pops up where Hakim Optical is, when the base of the HNR building becomes a popular restaurant or other destination, when condos occupy the parking lot next to the Senator... then Victoria will see a lot more people. Citytv is already doing its part to turn attention to that part of the square and will only do so more once all the lighting fixtures, LED signs, etc bring the outside of the building to life.

About the parking garage entrance, not much can be done to make it look better. In fact, it's quite attractive already as far as parking garage entrances go.

^ Well, if the "back" of the stage wasn't used to store crowd control gates, chairs, tables, etc. the steps on the East end would be used for their intended purpose: for people to sit on and congregate.

The square was designed without a front or back, it's the management of the square that has given the East end that function. A proper stage canopy that doesn't turn its back on the East will go a long way to fixing that. The original stage canopy was designed diagonally and with opened ends on both sides.

In the future, when a hotel pops up where Hakim Optical is, when the base of the HNR building becomes a popular restaurant or other destination, when condos occupy the parking lot next to the Senator... then Victoria will see a lot more people. Citytv is already doing its part to turn attention to that part of the square and will only do so more once all the lighting fixtures, LED signs, etc bring the outside of the building to life.

About the parking garage entrance, not much can be done to make it look better. In fact, it's quite attractive already as far as parking garage entrances go.

Good points and I agree about the parking garage entrance. I'm willing to bet that Rogers will put some pressure on the City to re-think the east end of the Square to increase CityTV's presence. I'm sure we'll see some changes within the next two years at that end, if not sooner.

We'll likely see the street between the Hard Rock & Y+D Square eventually removed from the grid too and hopefully integrated into the Square, to expand the Square or simply converted to add some much needed green space.

I don't think they can remove the street otherwise they probably would have when they built the square. It's the only way out of the midblock laneway (or is it in?)

And, really--I don't see Dundas-Square-the-street getting in the way to any great extent. It's already practically a low-intensity service-only street--to abolish it altogether on behalf of "extending the plaza" is making too much of a supposed no-traffic "good thing".

It makes the setting more properly "urban", IMO.

I agree. Dundas Sq. (the street) doesn't get in the way. It would need to remain open for the alley way that services the loading areas for all the stores along Yonge from Shuter to Dundas Sq. The street would also need to remain open for the garage entrance. It's fine the way it is.

It's the uses of the HNR building that are low traffic. Such a high density pedestrian area could turn the street level commercial frontages of the HNR building into a goldmine.

If the building were to become a boutique hotel with a restaurant/café/bar at the bottom à la Drake Hotel, Victoria would gain new life.

In time, I think money talks and the owners of those properties on Dundas Sq., Victoria and Dundas East will soon find out ways to tap the potential of their buildings and Victoria and Dundas will become as busy as -- if not more than -- Queen West.

Actually I could really see the HNR building being reborn as a W. It just has the size, the location, and the feeling.

I dont know if this was mentioned already, or if anyone even noticed, but under Canada's Economic Action Plan (Stimulus money)... Dundas Square has received money to build a permanent storage facility.

If the building were to become a boutique hotel with a restaurant/café/bar at the bottom à la Drake Hotel, Victoria would gain new life.

In time, I think money talks and the owners of those properties on Dundas Sq., Victoria and Dundas East will soon find out ways to tap the potential of their buildings and Victoria and Dundas will become as busy as -- if not more than -- Queen West.

That would be great for the area. I've always loved some of the squares in Europe that have grand hotels surrounding the area with lovely street level restaurants and patios.

Back