News   Jul 11, 2024
 193     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 352     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 630     0 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

Think of it this way - are people going to be like "oh my god, I'm totally going to start watching more OMNI because their logo in Dundas Square is so dynamic!"?

Yup; that's how advertising works.

I also agree effective signage is important for the stations overall branding..perticularly within the toronto market, where the vast majority of its programming is focused.

I don't know what you're all complaining about... really. The signs are actually of very good quality.

They could have just slapped on a lightbox with a logo on a transparency. Instead, they had custom signs made with individual separate backlit sections with no visible connection between them. I think the signs are great.

They're not going to be the star of the building anyway: the torch tower (colour lit from within) with its display and the ticker will add the flash and dynamism to the building that everybody's clamouring for.

so let me get this straight - If OMNI put up an amazing sign you'd be more likely to watch the station? Despite its programming? As someone whose significant other works behind the scenes at a TV station, I'm pretty sure programming/personalities are the only reason why anyone watches any station. If you watched OMNI before they put up a "dynamic sign" you'll watch it after, likewise vice versa. If you want a great example of how a TV station brand means nothing just look at TV ratings and where stations have ranked over time. It's entirely based on programming, and no sign anywhere is going to make a difference.

The flashy sign is not gonna make anyone watch omni...what a flashy sign will do is help in branding the station which is also important... thats coming from someone working in adverising

How flashy do you want the sign to be? It's in keeping with the branding. They're not going to change the logo to stand out @ YDS.

I worked in the signage industry for 15 years and I've seen these in person: they're top notch.

If the rest of the signage going along the black glass at street level, the ticker and the CityTV sign are this good, they'll have washed out the greyness of the building.

The only improvement on signage that I'd lobby for is the actual tower. They need to either stick with the original plan and bring on the display prism or at least replace the screen with a much bigger and rounded one. They have much competition for attention across the square.

Last edited:
Signs don't get me to buy or watch.

It is the product or the shows that get me to do it.

Advertisement is to keep reminding people that you are still around and have a product for sale.

There is nothing on this building causing me to rush out and watch a program.

In fact, I have drop all Rogers products.

Having a more dynamic sign (ie led or neon lit) does not require a change in the corporate logo. a dynamic flashy sign will establish and cement brand recognition as some just posted above....cuz now your brand is in their heads even if they dont planning on changing their buying or viewing habits.... Everyone remembers the old citgo sign at fenway park... a billion dollars could buy all the effective branding that free sign did for them over the years before a design changed forced them to actually purchase advertising from the ball park...

Last edited:
The signs look good - at least they aren't large rectangular "banner" signs with the logo floating in the middle. The signs are made up of indiviudual letters, each separately lighted.

Just because they may be good quality doesn't make them good signs from an impressive branding/'make a splash' point of view, necessarily.

Back