News   Jul 11, 2024
 339     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 484     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 676     0 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

So what? One sign isn't going to make a difference. We've taken this whole environmentally friendly thing way too far.

Not far enough, and it's only beginning to pick up steam and is gaining wider acceptance as each year passes.

The garbage all over the city and in our ravines and parks along with our poor air quality is far worse for our environment than neon signs and incandescent light bulbs.

Do you even live in Toronto?

I love neon as much as the next guy/gal but it's pretty much a thing of the past here. Incandescent bulbs are on their way out too. Stock up!

Just went past on the streetcar and they were working away outside from a 'cherry-picker'. The Olympic Spirit lettering seems to have been (finally) prised off the tower and they appear to be adding the ticker to it too.

Hopefully the ticker is the same sort of display system Rogers uses on the Jarvis headquarters for the Sportcentre displays

Also management has informed staff that the City TV sign that is supposed to go on the torch? Will be installed in the spring which will be followed by the ticker shortly after.

Really?? My source doesn't work @ CityTV, she's with Rogers but she told me that the CityTV sign and the LED ticker would be put up before Christmas.

They're also working on a smaller satellite NYE party at Dundas Sq. with a countdown on the Torch's screen and fireworks off the roof of the new HQ. I don't know the details, but I'd suspect they'll rent the stage on the square for some of the performances.

... just knocked on my friend's door and we chatted about this over a glass of wine. :)

Indeed what I said above is true:

- The CityTV sign has just finished being fabricated and will be going up in the next couple of weeks
- The LED ticker will be up before the end of this month
- Coloured LED's will be installed inside the Torch when the CityTV sign goes up.
- NYE party @ YDS will be a Rogers party, not a CityTV party. It'll be broadcast on OMNI 1 and partially broadcast by CityTV intermittently with the Nathan Philips Square event.

Finally Yonge Dundas Square will have its own New Year's Eve party! :D

I'm thrilled to read that CityTV is continuing at Nathan Phillips Square and that Rogers is hosting an event at Yonge-Dundas Square. It will hopefully bring out more people and fill two great public spaces with entertainment on New Year's eve. I hope the City is prepared with crowd control measures just in case they get a large crowd. I'm not a drinker so most New Year's eve's a couple of friends and myself will head down to Nathan Phillips Square but it can get pretty cold there sometimes. Y+D Square works especially well because of the bars/restaurants which surround the Square and it gives people a close place to slip into after the entertainment concludes shortly after midnight. I prefer Nathan Phillips Square myself however on cold, blustery New Year's eve's that corner is brutal, Y+D Square doesn't get the wind tunnel effect so it could be a good alternative.

It's also great to read that the CityTV/Omni building will be a little more animated by the end of the year and that they finally knocked out those Olympic Spirit letters off the north side of the building.

I could see two different sorts of countdowns emerging. Nathan Phillips might turn into the party families go to, while the Dundas Square countdown would be a younger/rowdier affair. Of course it would be ideal if they could make use of all of the video screens in the square, but I'm not sure if that's even possible to sync everything up like that or even to control them from a single place.

NPS has never had any entertainment that I would actually want to see live. Maybe YDS will have better entertainment. I certainly hope so, or I still won't go there.

NPS has never had any entertainment that I would actually want to see live. Maybe YDS will have better entertainment. I certainly hope so, or I still won't go there.

Me either, it was a destination or something to do more than what bands were performing. There have been some good surprises over the years as in bands that I didn't know about which turned out to be pretty good.
YDS may indeed attract a younger crowd and the programming will likely evolve over the years if that's the case.

E-mail I got last week from the boss of CITY TV says sign/ticker is scheduled for January.

I'm booked to work the New years show and have yet to hear anything about a portion being done at YDS. Then again I haven't asked.

I can most likely confirm details of the NYE party sometime this week.

^ They just finished fabricating the CityTV sign. It's in the shop waiting to go up. Why would they wait for January to install it? The LED ticker is also going up ahead of what you were told.

Again, my source isn't from CityTV. She works for Rogers so I'm pretty certain she's ahead of the game. So far, she's been dead on with all the info.

If you work for CityTv, you probably won't hear about the YDS party since it'll be mostly done in sync with OMNI and only partially broadcast on City.

MetroMan,

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just simply sharing dates of which I've been reading from internal e-mails. I agree that if the sign is ready it's in their best interests to put it up early.

If CITY TV is doing even minor portions from YDS it would be reflected in the rundown as our hosts would have to throw it over YDS.

As mentioned I'll just ask the production manager on the project as that's who hired me for the show.

I'm not arguing either :) Sorry if it's coming across like that.

What I'm suggesting is that the info from within the executive circle @ Rogers is in contradiction with the info that you've been given.

The ticker, for example, is going up right now according to members here. My source tells me that it's supposed to go up this month, which is to say this week since the month ends on Monday.

I'd love to hear from the NYE project manager about the YDS party. Please let us know what you find out.

The early talk I've heard is Blue Rodeo was going to be the headliner for the show.

They are currently promoting their new CD. That being said I'm a bit doubtful on that as in the past it's been very difficult to attract a big name to do the show.

Can confirm the following.

Nothing planned at YDS. No Omni, No nothing. It was originally proposed by the planning team but Rogers said no due to budgets.

All bands are confirmed only ones I recognized were Kardinal Offishal and Faber Drive (I think).

Mirvish Productions has been in contact and want to do something at the end of the show for their upcoming production. <-- This is early talks, we don't know what show their talking about but they said it would launch in Jan.

It would be similar to the previous years e.g. Jersey Boys or We Will Rock You

Back