News   May 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1K     1 

City TV Cuts New Personalities

How many people here seriously get their news from TV nowadays?

I think these cuts are just a reflection of media reality today--it's moving on to a different model, one where expensive on air personalities become obsolete.

Perhaps I'm in the minority but I used to get my Toronto news from CityTV, pieces of international news from BBC, CNN, FOX (just to keep an eye on what those nuts are saying) and of course The National at 10pm. I also read 4 or 5 National & International newspapers online when I wake up and/or on the go. I don't read blogs nor do I follow any twitter feeds.

Last edited:
I think these cuts are just a reflection of media reality today--it's moving on to a different model, one where expensive on air personalities become obsolete.
Which model are you referring to? Because most "different models" I've seen aren't employing journalists, but bloggers, etc. It's not just about pretty faces, but the closures of news rooms that won't be replaced.

^I look at the launch of Apple's ipad today as just the beginning of a media revolution. Will TV--cable included--even have a place in society by 2030? I'm happy these news rooms are laying off staff-mostly they were "propaganda" artists, hired to promote the same tired news items of the day. If these folks were really needed, why do all major media outlets report the same old lame old news?

Although by no means perfect, I've come to believe the only source for reliable NA news (that matters) is coming from the British press. For locally-sourced news, perhaps a future version of foursquare meets twitter with live video will be the solution, viewable on your ipad v.3.0?

It's a sad state that we find ourselves in that no over the air channel covers live breaking news about our city. David Miller's "big announcement" today wasn't covered by CityTV or CTV. The only channel covering the press conference was Hamilton's CHCH. CityTV has become a rebroadcast of US reruns. Sad.

Local news was what they were about. You could count on CityTV to cover breaking news and scoop big news about our city. Their transition from City Pulse to CityNews made their news department even more effective. Since cutting their weekend newscasts, they've become another empty channel like OMNI, regurgitating other channel's programming and playing the one off newscast. Shame on Rogers for putting the final nail in the coffin of a Toronto icon. Speaking of coffins: Ted Rogers must be rolling around in his... so sad.

For the record, I cancelled cable years ago and only switch to broadcast TV when I want to watch the local news.... CityTV was the only reliable station with good local news.

Most good TV is happening on cable channels now like HBO, Showtime, Showcase, AMC, Comedy Central etc.

It's a sad state that we find ourselves in that no over the air channel covers live breaking news about our city. David Miller's "big announcement" today wasn't covered by CityTV or CTV. The only channel covering the press conference was Hamilton's CHCH. CityTV has become a rebroadcast of US reruns. Sad.
I'm all for complaining about the death of City-TV, but even the old City-TV wouldn't have cut into scheduled programming for a press conference by the Mayor. They'd simply leave it to CP24, etc. (who did cover it live). CHCH is an all-news station by day, so it wasn't terribly surprising they'd cover it.

A bigger issue was trying to find local weekend news during the Olympics. No CBC, no CTV, no City-TV, just the horrid Global Weekend.

Some good news. Some of those laid-off have found new work.

Farah Nasser is now with CP24
Marianne Dimain is now with Global
Michael Serapio is now with CBC
Richard Madan is now with CTV

Back