News   May 08, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.9K     3 

City Hall Re-clad? What if?

Walking around City Hall today and carefully examining the concrete towers on a bright sunny day I've got to say it's held up well and is in very good shape so I don't see any need to touch it in the foreseeable future, thank goodness. The rear of the west tower has discolored a bit around back but that's forgivable and not noticed from any distance. Even the thin marble slats seem secure and are holding up well. Leave well enough alone!
I don't know what the answer is to the CN tower, it's a mess up close but I'd not want to see any cladding put on or have it changed in to any great degree in appearance. If there was a tough concrete paint that would retain the same or similar appearance which could last 10 or 20 years I'd be OK with that.

Last edited:
A good deep cleaning as was done with Old City Hall is all that is needed. The towers have held up well and seeing the detail up close, I'd hate for it to be changed.

Might be a better idea to reclad today's brand new glass box condo towers as their cladding is ironically less energy efficient than the 1960s slabs up for overcladding!

Back