News   Apr 26, 2024
 375     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 951     1 

City Hall Re-clad? What if?

Nahhas

Member Bio
Reaction score
With the re-clad project of FCP well underway, why not consider the idea of revitalizing other buildings around the city?

In addition to the FCP re clad, the renovations on Nathan Philips Square has also got me thinking, if we were to re-clad the exterior concrete of city hall what material would be appropriate?

Glass has characterized much of the Toronto's recent developments, and is becoming much too common. I have not considered any specifics in construction, nor am I certain that this is even possible but wouldn't aluminum panels (similar to the Michael Lee Chin Crystal at the ROM) do City hall justice?

What do you think?

Last edited:
fe04fd76.jpg

A lot of concrete-laden modern architecture has not aged well, eg. Nathan Phillips Square. City Hall, on the other hand, is one of those rare concrete buildings that still looks great after decades. I wouldn't touch it.

Glass has characterized much of the Toronto's recent developments, and is becoming much too common. I have not considered any specifics in construction, nor am I certain that this is even possible but wouldn't aluminum panels (similar to the Michael Lee Chin Crystal at the ROM) do City hall justice?

City Hall's alleged design flaw is the lack of windows on the outsides of the towers. What do you propose - covering those that do exist?

And the city hall precast cladding isn't just concrete either - it's embedded with marble - that's what give the material the vertical texture.

AoD

What do you think?
I think your idea is getting steamrolled because a masterpiece like City Hall should never be tampered with. You'll find this forum is laced with regret over the destruction of our historic structures and past mistakes/attrocities committed against some of the buildings that weren't senselessly razed for the sake of modernization.

And, if I'm not mistaken, the ROM's aluminum panels were a disappointing compromise. The crystal was meant to be clad in glass.

Also, the very idea that anything to do with the widely unpopular ROM Crystal should be applied to our beloved City Hall is probably an invitation for ridicule and sarcasm (as per the above posts).

I understand that the aluminum of the ROM crystal was a compromise, and by no means was I trying to belittle City hall by citing the ROM; although it did sound as if I was, I do admit. I believe I have approached this entire thread in the wrong manner, and I have chose the wrong building to make an example of. However, I am more interested in possible new building materials (materials aside from concrete and glass), than in making a criticism of concrete architecture. So, if I may redirect this thread, or put it to rest all at once, that would be just splendid.

What other building materials would you like to see used in Toronto's developments?

This topic is difficult to discuss because New City Hall is sacred in Toronto. Along with the CN Tower, it represents a moment in time when Toronto wasn't afraid to be ambitious and aim for the highest bar. The towers today still look modern, it's hard to believe they're already 35 years old.

I would approach this in the same manner that Nathan Philips Square is being renovated: what's Viljo Revell's vision? How can we update it to reflect that vision and take advantage of new technologies while preserving the historic design of the building?

Similar to Nathan Philips Square, some corners were cut and other compromises were made in the name of practicality.

Here's the maquette:

s0843_fl0134.jpg

And what was ultimately built:

cityhalloutside_001.jpg

A few things look different but one thing jumps right at you: the architect didn't account for the south sun shining into the offices all day which immediately became a problem and shades were added. This made the façade look messy, not at all what Revell envisioned. The windows could be replaced by new reflective and tinted glazing that wouldn't need shades and would improve the overall energy efficiency of the building.

As for the remaining touches that didn't make it such as a copper topped council chambers, I would balance the vision of the architect with what Torontonians and visitors the world over have come to know as Toronto's City Hall. Improvements must be subtle.

There is an approved plan and budget to restore the tower similar to what was done to Old City Hall. I wonder what is holding it back.

Last edited:
A few things look different but one thing jumps right at you: the architect didn't account for the south sun shining into the offices all day which immediately became a problem and shades were added. This made the façade look messy, not at all what Revell envisioned. The windows could be replaced by new reflective and tinted glazing that wouldn't need shades and would improve the overall energy efficiency of the building.

I believe the interior (?) of the glazing has a 3M reflective film applied to it - though one would imagine the windows are one element that should be nearing the end of the design lifetime soon. Perhaps what they should have is computer controlled shades that are built into the window unit.

As for the remaining touches that didn't make it such as a copper topped council chambers, I would balance the vision of the architect with what Torontonians and visitors the world over have come to know as Toronto's City Hall. Improvements must be subtle.

Personally I think a copper roof for the council chambers would look kind of odd - the white sort of give the place a sci-fish sort of feel.

AoD

MM mentioned the CN Tower in his post upthread. Now THAT's an iconic structure that really could use a reclad. The FCP glazed or smoked glass or whatever it's called would look great imho.

Back