News   Jul 12, 2024
 423     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 481     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 266     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

I don't mean to be ironic, but this video from YouTube hits the nail on the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7dLU6fk9QY

I just saw that yesterday - on my Facebook feed. It's true though, especially with people's addiction to texting and tweeting. Social media and surfing the net in a disciplined manner is great, but too many people have no impulse control, and little consideration for those around them. If I can't meet new friends in person, they aren't worth it to me - but that's my age talking.

I just saw that yesterday - on my Facebook feed. It's true though, especially with people's addiction to texting and tweeting. Social media and surfing the net in a disciplined manner is great, but too many people have no impulse control, and little consideration for those around them. If I can't meet new friends in person, they aren't worth it to me - but that's my age talking.

While we're on the topic of the Gays in the digital age -- as opposed to The Village -- see this thoughtful article from Huff.

Is discrimination on Grindr killing gay sex?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mathe...tion-on-grindr-killing-gay-sex_b_4558989.html

The default Grindr type are kind of vacuous anyways ("pretty" young things) - beyond that, I don't see what's so groundbreaking about it re: the sexual economy, other than making the process that much faster.

AoD

The default Grindr type are kind of vacuous anyways ("pretty" young things) - beyond that, I don't see what's so groundbreaking about it re: the sexual economy, other than making the process that much faster.

AoD

At some point - probably sooner than later - there is going to be a backlash to the digital social environment - how it manifests is the question of the day -

MP:

I am afraid I have the opposite take - that intentional, transactional fast food sex will be mostly a digital area. The backlash would perhaps be an analogue of the "slow food" movement.

AoD

The digital social environment is viewed very black-and-white, which is disingenuous. It's not as though people either meet online OR meet in day-to-day situations. Most people who meet online move forward from there the same way that any sort of relationship or rendezvous moves forward. The online part is just the beginning/conception of the relationship.

I don't mean to be ironic, but this video from YouTube hits the nail on the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7dLU6fk9QY

Meh.

I like texting and communicating online with friends. If we didn't have that option I wouldn't speak with my friends that often. As it is I see them only once a week (weekends) due to schedules, work, etc., and that's only my really close friends. It's not always the doom-and-gloom scenario some people make it out to be. Human nature will always propel us to physically connect, regardless of technology. And, frankly, who's to say that the 'old way' was 'better?' Better for who? People who prefer physical discussions over online ones, really. Welly, bully for you. :p

Why go out to a club, when you can stay home and tweet the gays? This is, after-all, Toronto. The people, are not exactly known for their warmth, approachability or charisma.

Toronto isn't 'friendly', true. It's more 'polite' — which is not the same thing. Having said that, I'd rather have cold and lacking in charisma city than a crime-riddled (which we aren't in comparison to other cities our size) or dirty (still, cleaner than a lot of cities out there) city.

We have parades, festivals, good restaurants (yes we do), mostly open-minded citizens (that's debatable, for sure), livable and affordable downtown neighbourhoods (well, condos are cheap compared to the houses! Lol.)

So, we aren't doing too bad for a cold city. :D

Toronto isn't 'friendly', true. It's more 'polite' — which is not the same thing. Having said that, I'd rather have cold and lacking in charisma city than a crime-riddled (which we aren't in comparison to other cities our size) or dirty (still, cleaner than a lot of cities out there) city.

We have parades, festivals, good restaurants (yes we do), mostly open-minded citizens (that's debatable, for sure), livable and affordable downtown neighbourhoods (well, condos are cheap compared to the houses! Lol.)

So, we aren't doing too bad for a cold city. :D

Do you think values of friendliness and charisma lead to crime and dirt?

I hope the new park is finished its renovation in time for that. When I walk by, it doesn't even look close to being finished.

I hope the new park is finished its renovation in time for that. When I walk by, it doesn't even look close to being finished.

The park is finished now. It's a conceptual installation piece designed to remind the gays of the temporal nature of existence.

Last edited:

Back