News   Jul 12, 2024
 584     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 602     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 281     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

I spent a night in this building many moons ago and the floor in the particular apartment was on a noticeable incline. Nonetheless, I don't think we should be jumping to conclusions that it "can't be saved" though. Structural engineering has fixed much worse and I do see the value in the building. It really does have the potential to be the nabe's crown jewel.

Is it just me or are there less holiday decorations this year? Has teh BIA scaled back?

Can't say I am a fan of the AIDS ribbon on the corner of Church and Alexander as a new addition. I know it has special significance for the gay community but it seems crass to me. The holidays are not about political causes plus it ruins the simple beauty of the lights on teh tree there. I wish they'd string those whote lights along all the large trees in the area, especially on Alexander west of Church.

I'm not sure an AIDS ribbon is necessarily political though (although it certainly can be at times). There's many who have been lost by the disease in the C&W community and the holidays are a time when people simply reflect on such things.

Is it just me or are there less holiday decorations this year? Has teh BIA scaled back?

Can't say I am a fan of the AIDS ribbon on the corner of Church and Alexander as a new addition. I know it has special significance for the gay community but it seems crass to me. The holidays are not about political causes plus it ruins the simple beauty of the lights on teh tree there. I wish they'd string those whote lights along all the large trees in the area, especially on Alexander west of Church.

It's the same illuminated decorations off the hydro poles as usual, same as the past few years, the only thing missing that I can think of are of the lights in the park due to it being under construction. The ribbon has been up for years, re-located this year from the north side of the park to Church & Alexander.

I've stopped reading this thread on a regular basis because so many users here prefer to complain about everything, rather than have a dialogue about how to improve the neighbourhood. Parklets suck; murals are ugly; the Village is basic; who cares about x closing because you can buy y online anyway; opinions are one thing, complaining is another.
I must concur that I find it weird too that some that hate The Village so much spend so much of their time on a thread about The Village.

As a point of comparison, here's what a parklet in Sao Paulo, Brazil looks like...

photo.jpg

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
Both those parklets look great but there's one issue. Neither of those cities get snow. Taking up a full lane of traffic on each side of Church leaves little room for snow removal. Church would end up looking like most side streets after a storm. Not to mention they'd be unusable for half the year due to the weather.

Not to mention they'd be unusable for half the year due to the weather.

Your point about the difference in climates is well taken. However, except for the past two weeks with the unusual December sub-zero weather we are having, outdoor coffee patios and sitting areas around here are quite popular most of the year from morning until early evening, even in the winter.

True,

there are always a few die hards. Like the guys who wear t shirts and shorts in -30 weather. But I don't think there would be too many willing ot brave teh cold there.

Still, it might have been a good place to set up a Christmas market, old style with gluhwein, food stands (sausage vendors, Beavertails, hot pretzels, doener and hot chocolate and such when I think about it. Maybe use them as a place for outdoor businesses interspersed with seating. Better yet, if you decided to put them in place, make them covered.

Your point about the difference in climates is well taken. However, except for the past two weeks with the unusual December sub-zero weather we are having, outdoor coffee patios and sitting areas around here are quite popular most of the year from morning until early evening, even in the winter.

Back