News   Jul 12, 2024
 433     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 483     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 266     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

Are we all just rejecting this mural on aesthetical level?

Does anyone have access to the artist's notes/comments/motivations?

Between the $75,000 rainbow poles and this I'm beginning to wonder if anyone deciding on these pieces of "art" is actually gay... Surely, any self-respecting gay man would have better taste?

Between the $75,000 rainbow poles and this I'm beginning to wonder if anyone deciding on these pieces of "art" is actually gay... Surely, any self-respecting gay man would have better taste?

Who ever said gay "men" are doing all the murals? This is an all inclusive community expressing art in various forms from different views and life experiences.

Not those doing it, those deciding on it. And it should be done to reflect the character and nature of the community... which is gay. I'm pretty sure that's what they were going for with the rainbow lines, madonna and the cowboys on the ones I've seen so far, but art is always open to interpretation I suppose. Either way, atrocious.

Not those doing it, those deciding on it. And it should be done to reflect the character and nature of the community... which is gay. .

Our community is gay, lesbian, transgender, bisexual, transsexual, intersex, queer/questioning, 2 Spirited, allies and of course our straight neighbours, family, business owners and friends too.

Not those doing it, those deciding on it. And it should be done to reflect the character and nature of the community... which is gay. I'm pretty sure that's what they were going for with the rainbow lines, madonna and the cowboys on the ones I've seen so far, but art is always open to interpretation I suppose. Either way, atrocious.
I thought it was Madonna too, but I don't think that's what it's supposed to represent. I think it's supposed to be a drag queen in relation to the bath house raids.

Whenever you have a committee trying to decide what's best for a public arts project, you run the risk of ending up with watered-down mishmashes or just helter-skelter/kitchen sink monstrosities. It's well-meaning but a bit of a misfire all the same. Love the period cop car/taxi, and the rendering of the woman is very good, especially her face. I think the problem lies with the glaring colours in the BG, but that's just me.

68 Wellesley St E (aka The Pizza Pizza building) to be designated. Also, the building has apparently been deemed unsafe.

"This report recommends that City Council state its intention to designate the property at 68 Wellesley Street East under Part IV, Section 29 of the Ontario Heritage Act. Located on the northeast corner of Church and Wellesley Streets, the property contains a 2½-storey building (1878), designed as a group of row houses and later converted to residential and commercial uses, which was listed on the City of Toronto Inventory of Heritage Properties in 1974.

The property at 68 Wellesley Street East (which includes convenience addresses of 70-78 Wellesley and 505-509½ Church Street) is subject to an unsafe order issued by the City's Buildings Department. The designation of the site under Part IV, Section 29 of the Ontario Heritage Act is required to protect the site′s heritage values and attributes."

From http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2013.PB27.9

That building has looked unsafe for at least 10 years. Does it have to crumble to the ground before the city does something about it? It's not like that hasn't happened before. (a number of times) Toronto is way too lenient on neglectful landlords.

That building has looked unsafe for at least 10 years. Does it have to crumble to the ground before the city does something about it? It's not like that hasn't happened before. (a number of times) Toronto is way too lenient on neglectful landlords.

At least a decade. Boots Drug Store (which later became Pharma Plus and most recently, Rexall) moved out of there to the other corner in the late 90's/very early 00's because of ongoing maintenance problems. For decades this building has been the shame of the neighbourhood when indeed it should be the shining star. The City needs more powers to prevent buildings like this from becoming "unsafe" and from buildings being rundown through neglect.

I wonder if it's even possible to restore the building? By this point it's so far gone that major structural problems are evident from a casual glance at the exterior. The entire roofline is sagging and all sorts of elements are neither plumb nor level. Once a structure has deteriorated to that point, what can realistically be done to bring it back? Anyone with technical knowledge of this have any views?

There is so much potential for this location that it's really a shame that it had to get this bad.

Honestly they should axe this building. I know it may have some "heritage" qualities, but no visual qualities that are extraordinary. Plus the damage on this building is probably far too significant.

Honestly they should axe this building. I know it may have some "heritage" qualities, but no visual qualities that are extraordinary. Plus the damage on this building is probably far too significant.

I agree it was pointless for the city to designate this building as heritage. As long as I can remember this block of building has looked like it was about to cave in on itself. You can tell just by looking at the structure that it is not on a sound footing anymore. It is beyond being saved by restoration and would have to be rebuilt from the ground up. Who would even propose such a heritage designation? KWT? Is she so clueless about real-estate?

What they should do is tear down this block and replace it with a replica of what the building looked like brand new (without the first floor additions which ruined the look of the building). To make it attractive for the building owner I would let them add on a six story condo/apt addition on the back. As it stands now none of the businesses are of interest to me. I will not eat in any of the three food establishments because I read that the building is full of cockroaches. A brand new building with brand new tenants would give the village a shot in the arm.

Last edited:
Mural project update

I stumbled upon these images from another website showing the latest progress on KWT's mural project. These murals are turning out worse than I expected - absolutely hideous.

Image credit: http://peachplumorange.wordpress.com/2013/11/14/church-street-mural-project-takes-flight/

Woman giving birth in a field of women
mural1.jpg

A woman with an umbrella
church-street-mural-project-2.jpg

Some more women
church-street-mural-project-5.jpg

Multi-colored diagonal stripes
church-street-mural-project-3.jpg

Building painted blue
church-street-mural-project-4.jpg

Last edited:

Back