News   Aug 09, 2024
 594     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 570     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 2K     2 

Church-Wellesley Village

I would suggest the only way to know for sure (you could be right, I don't know anymore) would be to request a copy of the Arborist's report. Taking down just one tree in this city - even on private property can present a sea of red tape; it's not easy. I can't remember the condition of any trees there, I do know that if you sat or stood under the area where the Bixi bikes were (previously a sitting area) you'd get covered with small bugs falling from above, spring-through fall. Were they indicative of diseased trees? I dunno'. I also don't recall any dead trees in the park, not saying there weren't any - or dying trees, I never looked that closely and they're gone now. In fact, one of our residents got hit on the sidewalk late last week by a tree that fell the wrong way! Thankfully she was OK save for some scratches, but the tree took her right down to the ground.
http://www.toronto.ca/trees/city_trees.htm

On the topic of misleading, clear cutting is not at all what is happening in Cawthra Park.

On the topic of misleading, clear cutting is not at all what is happening in Cawthra Park.

True, at least not yet. I was there yesterday and several trees have been cut, but a bunch of others are fenced off (does that mean they're staying?). I'm hoping they're almost done, although it doesn't seem like 27 have been cut. Are there even 27 trees in the park??

There are many trees, and rows of trees, which have protective fences around them, which means they stay. I'd hazard a guess that there were probably 40 trees on the north side of the park from the Church Street sidewalk to the very back of the park. In the end, this part of the park loses a total of 10 trees.

Edit: the success of using Silva Cells (I erroneously previously referred to them as silica cells [D'oh!]) to plant trees in is dramatically evident at Sugar Beach with the type of trees planted there - http://www.deeproot.com/blog/blog-entries/the-wonderful-trees-of-torontos-sugar-beach

Last edited:
And another store moves on...

As a side note, anyone else see the rendering for the new condo next to the Wine Shop? Seems way too large for the current space; wonder if they're planning to take down more buildings.

As a side note, anyone else see the rendering for the new condo next to the Wine Shop? Seems way too large for the current space; wonder if they're planning to take down more buildings.

7/24 is leaving?! Now THAT is an institution on that street if there ever was one. That store has meant more to me over the years than the Second Cup steps ever did. I can't read the article as I am at work and Xtra is blocked from our server — as gayness is dirty, you know :mad:

I think the sign is an advertisement for another location? It says Avenue road or something doesn't it?

Probably then, I didn't really read it as I was walking past.

7-24 is looking for a new location near Church street, with cheaper rent. According to the article, they were paying 18,000 per month at the current space and apparently, the building also has a new owner.

Last edited:

It's just an ad for an unrelated project across town by the same owner/developer.

I heard about this earlier, 7&24 is one of the reasons I've stayed in the Village, one of the best video stores in the city. I asked just last week how business was and the fellow said "good", but I can see business has really dropped in the last year or two. People are getting too lazy to go out to a video store and rent three films for $8, they'd rather sit on their couch and let Rogers rape them for $9.99 per film on PPV. I'm worried about the building too, the North Downtown Yonge Street Planning Framework (which includes part of Church Street) can't come quickly enough. I believe it comes before Council this fall.

Because some people are too lazy to leave their home to rent something makes these stores relics? I don't buy it, I think they serve a need plus when looking for that illusive title, there's nothing more satisfying than finding it in a bin then taking it home and enjoying it. Or a TV series, like when I heard about Breaking Bad around season 3, bit by bit I rented the discs to catch up on the show.

LOL I've lived in Toronto (in the village) for almost two years now, and I don't get how the video store was even open when I moved here. They are a thing of the past. Let this be way for some good retail in the prime space they have!

Because some people are too lazy to leave their home to rent something makes these stores relics? I don't buy it, I think they serve a need plus when looking for that illusive title, there's nothing more satisfying than finding it in a bin then taking it home and enjoying it. Or a TV series, like when I heard about Breaking Bad around season 3, bit by bit I rented the discs to catch up on the show.

Need to catch up with the times ; - ) ...

But I can understand where you are coming from, I like such stores as well, they're just cool to be in ... but technology will make them more and more irrelevant ... you can get the same movies online for less money (legally).

The lazy argument is silly and out of place, one can argue the time saved going out to the store can be used to exercise / go for a run / ...

Too many people are out to "save time" so they text instead of seeing someone or meeting someone in person, they order online to save going to a store and on & on. No wonder we are following the US with obesity rates and will live shorter lives than our parents. But I guess that's a whole different discussion.

Once this video store is gone my love of film and good TV will, to a great extent, come to an end. I'll go to the cinema and watch a film here & there, try to catch a show on first-run using my PVR but I'll never pay $10 plus tax to rent a film from Roger$ nor will I succumb to the horrific quality of Netflix, which only gobbles up our monthly "allowable" bandwidth that the billion dollar telecom allows. "The little business guy/gal" continues to lose in this culture as the conglomerates move in and get bigger and bigger.

Back