News   Jul 12, 2024
 787     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 708     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 303     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

You do realize you can get much much more bandwidth with smaller companies for much less then the big guys ?

Anyway I disagree with sentiments like this, as technology change we adapt.

Here's some evidence it doesn't always work out this way: Take board game cafes and board game play in general ... this is a BOOMING industry as playing board games become more and more popular every year (these are physical games / nothing online), take the fact there is a new board game cafe opening up every 6 months or so now (a new one is just about to open around Yonge and Dundas).

I just looked at TekSavvy DSL, $39.99/month for 25/10 & 300GB/month - not bad. But then there's the costs of a dry loop, modem & activation fee. I have 160GB/month from Sympatico for $34.99 & I'm not using Netflix because the picture quality is horrible so I'll stick with them.

I never heard of this cafe board game thing, I'll have to look into this.

I never heard of this cafe board game thing, I'll have to look into this.

Snakes & Lattes was the first one that opened, iirc, a couple years ago and its been doing really well (they've just renovated the space a few months ago). There's also Castle at College + Spadina, and Go Lounge in Parkdale. Apparently, there's also a new one called Roll Play Cafe on Edward + Yonge.

Last edited:
Too many people are out to "save time" so they text instead of seeing someone or meeting someone in person, they order online to save going to a store and on & on. No wonder we are following the US with obesity rates and will live shorter lives than our parents. But I guess that's a whole different discussion.

Once this video store is gone my love of film and good TV will, to a great extent, come to an end. I'll go to the cinema and watch a film here & there, try to catch a show on first-run using my PVR but I'll never pay $10 plus tax to rent a film from Roger$ nor will I succumb to the horrific quality of Netflix, which only gobbles up our monthly "allowable" bandwidth that the billion dollar telecom allows. "The little business guy/gal" continues to lose in this culture as the conglomerates move in and get bigger and bigger.

Or if you're in the super young generation like me, most people would torrent a movie, get it for free, and stream it on their TV. Cheaper than PVR and going to a movie store. It's the times of technology. It's why music/CD stores are doing badly as well.

Because some people are too lazy to leave their home to rent something makes these stores relics? I don't buy it, I think they serve a need plus when looking for that illusive title, there's nothing more satisfying than finding it in a bin then taking it home and enjoying it. Or a TV series, like when I heard about Breaking Bad around season 3, bit by bit I rented the discs to catch up on the show.
I rent movies from iTunes and Zip.ca kiosks. Zip.ca kiosks are only $2 each for Blu-Ray, and $1 for DVD. They don't have the same selection as an entire store, but iTunes has almost everything I need. For everything else, I download torrents or use a friend's Netflix account.

Snakes & Lattes was the first one that opened, iirc, a couple years ago and its been doing really well (they've just renovated the space a few months ago). There's also Castle at College + Spadina, and Go Lounge in Parkdale. Apparently, there's also a new one called Roll Play Cafe on Edward + Yonge.

Yep I love Snakes and Lattes.

I only got into board games maybe 6 months ago or so, its a great social activity ! There is such a broad range of games as well, from ones that play fast / good with large groups to ones that take 2/3 hours to play and have a ton of strategy (usually coupled with a steep learning curve, at least to understand all aspects of the game).

Or if you're in the super young generation like me, most people would torrent a movie, get it for free, and stream it on their TV. Cheaper than PVR and going to a movie store. It's the times of technology. It's why music/CD stores are doing badly as well.

I'm middle aged, and us 'old folks' use torrents too! Torrents are an alternative, albeit illegal, but again the quality of the torrent can range from good to bad. I recently d/l season 5 of Game of Thrones (720p, 5.1 sound) when I got hooked on that late summer (after renting seasons 1-4) because it's not on DVD or blu ray yet. Torrents are great for stuff from overseas too, so long as you have a multi-region, NTSC/PAL DVD player.

LOL I've lived in Toronto (in the village) for almost two years now, and I don't get how the video store was even open when I moved here. They are a thing of the past. Let this be way for some good retail in the prime space they have!

I like renting a DVD/Blu-Ray for the extra features you can't find online (plus the quality is better). There is also the fact that Rogers charges way too much for what I consider to be a lesser product and movie experience. Mind you, I rarely rent anymore as most movies nowadays are only online-worthy (for me, anyway). Buying it off of iTunes or what-have-you will never be a consideration for me. I like the physical Blu-Ray. But, I only buy a movie if I've already seen it and I want to support it (and I can see myself watching it again in the future).

My concern with taking away 7/24 is that a 'good retail' shop will most likely NOT open in that space.

Last edited:
Torrents are great for stuff from overseas too, so long as you have a multi-region, NTSC/PAL DVD player.

Do you burn everything you download to a DVD to watch it? Wow...that must be a pain. Even if you don't want to watch stuff on your computer (which I understand), there are a number of ways to stream video from your computer to a TV (both wired and wirelessly, and ranging from expensive to not expensive at all).

We have a computer in a closet that we use as a media centre (it's a mac mini just because our other computers are macs, but you can easily get an inexpensive windows PC to do the same thing) to store all our content, and it connects to our TVs over the wireless network using a plex media server (our TVs have built-in wifi, but you can easily get boxes to connect to non-wifi-enabled TVs that do that same thing). It takes a bit of time to set up, but now that it's up and running it's really easy to use, and I can control everything from my laptop while sitting in bed using screen sharing.

LOL I've lived in Toronto (in the village) for almost two years now, and I don't get how the video store was even open when I moved here. They are a thing of the past. Let this be way for some good retail in the prime space they have!
Well, as far as technology goes, you're right. Video rental places are a thing of the past. Just like record stores. But 7-24 has more to offer than just that. It's not a generic video rental place like Blockbuster, for example. If it were, I totally agree that there would be no justification for it. But, if you go in there, you will discover a huge range of films from all countries and historical periods. It's really fantastic. You won't see that kind of selection anywhere, and certainly not on Netflix, or a PPV service.

7-24 can continue to operate, despite the technical obsolescence of the DVD format, because they have identified a niche market of people who are really into film and cannot find that range of selection anywhere else, via any channel.

The record store Soundscapes at College and Euclid runs on the same principle. Stores like these are rare and can only be sustained by proprietors who are uncommonly passionate about what they do.

I'm saying all this, by the way, as someone who doesn't even own a device capable of playing either a DVD or a CD. I gave up physical media long ago.

Last edited:
This is the old Barn location, can't remember the new name.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5B 2A3

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 246374 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Oct 4, 2013

Project: Multiple-Use Building Other Proposal

Description: To propose an outdoor patio containing 55 seats off the north side of the restaurant. Note: Interior of restaurant contains more than 30 seats.

The new fine food store is great, a good addition to the street. I think they will do well.

I rent from 7/24 regularly. I hope they don't move far. Proximity is one reason I frequent them. Distance would make me tolerate higher online prices more.

I honestly can't believe that the video store is still open - I haven't rented a movie (via a hard copy dvd) since probably 2006-7. Most people I know are in the same boat.

Look in when you go by, you'll see why they are still open. Their business isn't what it once was, but they are holding on. Why pay $9.99 (plus tax) for a new film on PPV to Rogers when you can rent the same film, and get two more all for only $8 (incl. tax)? Blu ray offers better picture quality than cable (or satellite) too.

Why pay $9.99 (plus tax) for a new film on PPV to Rogers when you can rent the same film, and get two more all for only $8 (incl. tax)? Blu ray offers better picture quality than cable (or satellite) too.

Why pay $8.00 for only 3 movies when you can pay $8.00 /month for unlimited viewing from netflix?
Like rogers, bell, netflix and OTA, Bluray is also a compressed medium.

Back