News   Jul 12, 2024
 717     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 664     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 295     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

I agree. I've lived in both London and NYC and I live here by choice. The parklets are a good reminder that we are fortunate enough to live in Toronto.

Not that I agree or disagree but why ? NYC and London have done similar things.

I've spent a couple of pleasant evenings sitting in the parklets, having an ice cream or cold drink, chatting and people-watching. They're a great addition and it's nice to hear they may be back next year.

What happened to About Cheese? It's a shame to lose that one, it was a great shop.

The cheese shop was nice but dreadfully overpriced. I imagine Loblaws and the wall of cheese killed them.

The cheese shop was nice but dreadfully overpriced. I imagine Loblaws and the wall of cheese killed them.

Agreed. I love cheese and live across the straight but rarely shopped there due to price. I like to buy from cheese shops, but this was too high priced.

Agreed. I love cheese and live across the straight but rarely shopped there due to price. I like to buy from cheese shops, but this was too high priced.

there's a straight in the village ?!? j/k ... i know it was a typo or most likely auto-correct on a smart phone.

Were they priced higher than the cheesemongers at SLM and Kensington, or just higher than Loblaws? The cheese wall has some nice selections, but from what I can tell it doesn't carry all the artisanal/imported varieties that most speciality cheese shops would carry (ie: I have yet to find any raw milk cheeses at a grocery store, but speciality cheese shops usually carry them). I've never been in this particular cheese shop, but if all they carried was what Loblaws had but at a higher price, then they ran their business very poorly.

They were priced over what I would pay at Kenginston's or at St. Lawrence Market by a fair bit. It's telling when you can go to teh cheese store in the Manulife (Yorkville) and find better prices.

I once paid $12 for a piece of cheese there ebcause I was in a rush. I did price comparison with some other cheese shops and they were a quarter to a third less.

JUst waiting for Cumbrea's to go under too now.

Were they priced higher than the cheesemongers at SLM and Kensington, or just higher than Loblaws? The cheese wall has some nice selections, but from what I can tell it doesn't carry all the artisanal/imported varieties that most speciality cheese shops would carry (ie: I have yet to find any raw milk cheeses at a grocery store, but speciality cheese shops usually carry them). I've never been in this particular cheese shop, but if all they carried was what Loblaws had but at a higher price, then they ran their business very poorly.

I don't think Loblaws had anything to do with the demise of "About Cheese". They had a store in north Toronto that shut down at the same time. The company behind "About Cheese" started out as a wholesaler and they actually supplied Loblaws, Whole Foods and Pusatari's with fine Canadian artisanal cheeses. Maybe they have decided to focus on just wholesaling. Being next to Cumbrae's they were in the perfect location for selling expensive Cheese. Cumbrae's draw's in wealthy customers from all over the city for whom price is no object. Hopefully another food-related shop will set up in this location. I would like to see a good bakery go in here. We are really lacking one in this area (Loblaws in store baking sucks for the most part)

http://www.blogto.com/grocery/aboutcheese

A good bakery would be welcome. Pusateris recently switched from Ace breads which is owned by loblaws to St. John's. I know some people like St. John's but I can't stand their bread. My visits to Pusateris have been halved since the change and my visits to loblaws increased. I know Ace is not incredible, but they make quite decent sandwich bread.

Too bad loblaws doesn't understand that bread dated today or tomorrow should be discounted.

A good bakery would be welcome. Pusateris recently switched from Ace breads which is owned by loblaws to St. John's. I know some people like St. John's but I can't stand their bread. My visits to Pusateris have been halved since the change and my visits to loblaws increased. I know Ace is not incredible, but they make quite decent sandwich bread.

Too bad loblaws doesn't understand that bread dated today or tomorrow should be discounted.

The problem with Loblaws bread is not that it is day old. It just doesn't taste good coming out of the oven (horrible texture). The exception to this are the ACE Bakery breads which they bake in the store (mostly par baked but I have seen some product baked from scratch). ACE is the only bread that I buy in Loblaws. Most often it is still warm out of the oven but I am getting tired of the limited variety. I find when it comes to in-store baked bread in the area you can't beat Metro in College Park.

I actually like the bread at MLG Loblaws...I jsut wish they'd have it pre-sliced in teh bag. Having to wait a few minutes to get it sliced is a pain.

A new food store is slated to open in the old cheese space; All The Best Fine Foods.

A new food store is slated to open in the old cheese space; All The Best Fine Foods.

This is good news and exactly what I envisioned. "All The Best Fine Foods" is the company that operates the row of fine food shops just south of the Summerhill LCBO (I think the block of buildings is called the "seven thieves" ). Their merchandise is very expensive but it is of the absolute highest quality. It will be a good compliment to Cumbraes which many consider to be the best butcher in Toronto.

Back