News   Jul 15, 2024
 681     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 857     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 622     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

Last edited:
There's some kind of lighting feature designed into them but they aren't connected yet. In the third link above, in front of City Park Co-ops, you can see what looks like a green hydro meter post to the left, they were installed three or four weeks ago but I had no idea what they were for. Presumably that's the electrical source because I've seen those up at Gloucester & Church where the other two gateway markers were installed today.

There's some kind of lighting feature designed into them but they aren't connected yet. In the third link above, in front of City Park Co-ops, you can see what looks like a green hydro meter post to the left, they were installed three or four weeks ago but I had no idea what they were for. Presumably that's the electrical source because I've seen those up at Gloucester & Church where the other two gateway markers were installed today.
Yes, how ugly are those green hydro meters? Ugh.

I can appreciate the small business owner trying to make it in a competitive market but people ragging on Loblaws' on a regular basis is a little bit rich. Does Loblaw's have an aisle devoted to rainbow flags and chachkis? It certainly has half an aisle developed to overpriced Hallmark cards, but so does every other shop in Church Street. Frankly, Loblaw's stepped it up and I for one have seen my quality of life improve substantially in terms of what I'm able to purchase in my neighbourhood.

That being said, I'm happy the BIA is doing what it can to visually reinterpret the presence of the LGBT community in the area. We still have a lot of resources and specialty shops here ... although I'm still waiting for a really nice restaurant for dinner and Fresh. Ha.

I can appreciate the small business owner trying to make it in a competitive market but people ragging on Loblaws' on a regular basis is a little bit rich. Does Loblaw's have an aisle devoted to rainbow flags and chachkis? It certainly has half an aisle developed to overpriced Hallmark cards, but so does every other shop in Church Street. Frankly, Loblaw's stepped it up and I for one have seen my quality of life improve substantially in terms of what I'm able to purchase in my neighbourhood.

Great comment.
The Loblaw's definitely increased the quality of life in the neighbourhood and it shouldn't be blamed for anything. To call it a "soulless corporate chain" doesn't do it justice. Honestly, we do need corporate chains.

The entrance of Loblaw's raised the bar for local groceries if anything, if we think on the bright side. It will encourage innovation and introduction of more interesting products from smaller retailers, if they want to be in the game, which is a good thing. We don't want to see the same old stores selling exactly the same stuff year after year as if nothing ever changes.

It's too bad he couldn't have hung on. Density is increasing in the neighbourhood but it seems like the rent jumps up just before the density increases. I also don't think he should blame stores like Loblaws. They have a really nice store and they put a lot of work into it. It's too bad he couldn't have struck up a partnership with Stag. They just moved up the street to their new location but they probably could've split the rent on a larger location.

Totally agree with the Bleu. I can appreciate the history and association residents have with many of the stores but honestly so many of them have moved here from elsewhere and, unsurprisingly, vice versa. So many people lament to the loss of certain small businesses but I question how often are they visited (by bloggers, journalists, neighbours) etc? A recent post on blogTO bemoaned Loblaw's appearance as the downfall of so many businesses on Church and makes no mention of how often the writer frequented the "lost" or "struggling" businesses. My guess: never, since she didn't live or work in the hood. My other point is that retail on Church Street has been a constantly changing landscape and one of struggle long before Loblaw's entered the game. Same goes for the restaurant / bar scene. Many have come, some have stayed, others have gone or changed to stay around. It's normal. Happens on all "main street" type environments - including Danforth, Roncey etc.

Side note: I don't work for Loblaw's.

It's too bad he couldn't have hung on. Density is increasing in the neighbourhood but it seems like the rent jumps up just before the density increases. I also don't think he should blame stores like Loblaws. They have a really nice store and they put a lot of work into it. It's too bad he couldn't have struck up a partnership with Stag. They just moved up the street to their new location but they probably could've split the rent on a larger location.

They still have their location on Jarvis, stuffed to the rafters with all manner of doodads for all your doodad shopping needs.

Mural project coming to Church St.

Ward 27 Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam first proposed the idea at the Church Wellesley Village Business Improvement Area (BIA) annual general meeting in December. She wants to take public art “out of the alleyways and onto the streets” by bringing artists and business owners together to create an open-air art gallery that reflects the culture and history of the neighbourhood, similar to San Francisco’s Mission District.

Concepts for the murals will come from the community, Fowler says. Once the list of artists is finalized, by February, the group will host a public forum to get feedback from the community. The project is working closely with the BIA, the neighbourhood association and the Canadian Lesbian and Gay Archives (CLGA), he says.

“We want to ensure we represent the history and heroes of the Church and Wellesley area and of those who have worked hard to push forward for the rights of the LGBTQ community,” he says.

Eight to 10 walls have already been secured as sites for the murals, on Church Street between Charles and Carlton. Fowler is promising to release a complete list once everything is finalized.

Back