321     0 

Chinatown...Death of a Neighbourhood

S

samsonyuen

Death of a neighbourhood
Mar. 12, 2006. 07:15 AM
ANDREW CHUNG
STAFF REPORTER

Call it extreme, but when Taiwan native Henry Fu was studying engineering in Thunder Bay in the early 1990s, he would sometimes jump in a car and drive 17 hours straight to Toronto, eyes held open by strong, truck-stop coffee, just to get a bite to eat in Chinatown.
"People would say I was crazy, and yes, I was," recalls Fu, now 44. "But I had no choice. It's the food; you need it. It's an emotional thing. And Toronto was the only place you could get it."
After eating, he would raid the many crowded shops and browse among the frenetic outdoor vendors, returning to Thunder Bay the next day with a carload of Chinese groceries, herbs and newspapers to last him until the next time.
How things have changed in less than a generation.
Once a prosperous hive of activity, Toronto's downtown Chinatown, centred on Dundas St. W. and Spadina Ave, is now dismal and bleak. Most of the good restaurants have gone. Businesses are suffering. Only a few fruit stands remain. Litter swirls around the cold and lonely sidewalks.
Once the sun always seemed to shine on bustling Chinatown, but now it seems only to be setting.
"It's dying," says Vyona Ma, who, if it weren't for her job at her mother's Chinese herb and teashop, would never venture down Spadina for things Chinese.
"I only come here to go clubbing," says Ma, 22, a Seneca College marketing major. "When I go shopping or to go eat, I never come here. This Chinatown gives people the idea of traditional, old-fashioned stuff."
Last Wednesday, a group of business owners met for the first time to hash out a plan to rescue Chinatown through a partnership with the city.But some figure it might be too late. While downtown Chinatown was once the primary locus of Chinese culture and commerce in Canada, it has been decisively supplanted by what many are calling the New Chinatown, much farther north in Markham, which is very much responsible for its downtown counterpart's decline.
New Chinatown is a different world. The focal point is near the intersection of Kennedy Rd. and Steeles Ave., on the border between Toronto and Markham. Here sit two huge Chinese malls, jam-packed with cars on any day of the week, filled with shops that are bright and bursting with products.
Market Village features large flat-screen and projection TVs near its sky-lit food court, which offers cuisine from all over Asia. Upstairs, a cultural centre teaches courses in brush painting, kung fu and calligraphy.
The inside of Pacific Mall, a coliseum filled with hundreds of tiny shops, resembles the markets you'd find in Hong Kong or Beijing. In one glassed-in store, a man replenishes his jars of sliced ginseng and dried fish stomach because they've sold out; in the nearby atrium, people take a short rest in vibrating massage chairs. You can also find a sprawling karaoke club and a video-game arcade on the second level.
Already huge, these shopping centres are planning major expansions. But that's not all. Across Steeles, another large mall is under construction: the Splendid China Tower, whose design will mimic Beijing's Forbidden City, and which promises to eclipse Pacific Mall as the largest indoor Asian marketplace in North America.
"You walk along Steeles and you see the facilities are getting more and more because the Chinese population is booming," says Fu, the former Thunder Bay student, who now presides over Pacific Mall. "In our community people call it the New Chinatown."
New Chinatown has evolved alongside ethnically Chinese areas of Scarborough. Now it ripples out in every direction, with Chinese-themed strip malls and big-box super centres pushing as far north as Highway 7 and into Richmond Hill.
"The north is where most people are emigrating and staying," says Emily Ng of the Federation of Chinese Canadians in Markham. "It's much bigger, and the buying power is there. That makes it much more vibrant."
That migration of wealth from downtown Chinatown to the suburbs has happened before with other ethnic groups.
Spadina Ave. has always been one of Toronto's main landing strips for new immigrants. When the Jews began to arrive from Europe in the early 20th century, they ended up on Spadina. They worked in and then owned the many garment factories. But after World War II, and with their growing affluence, they packed up and began to move north.
Until the war, the Chinese community in Toronto was quite small. There were first a few Chinese laundries in what is now the financial district. Then the Chinese moved to the area Nathan Philips Square now occupies, says Shirley Lum, who guides walking tours around Chinatown.
After Canada repealed a federal policy preventing Chinese immigration after World War II, the population increased steadily. Today there are more than 400,000 Chinese in the Greater Toronto Area.
By the 1970s, many immigrants were arriving from Hong Kong, and later as Vietnamese boat people — many them were of Chinese origin — and they moved west along Dundas St., eventually reaching Spadina. A second Chinatown sprouted at Broadview Ave. and Gerard St. E., but it never reached the size or importance of its downtown cousin.
In her 1985 book, Spadina Avenue, Toronto curator Rosemary Donegan wrote that the Chinese newcomers were "rebuilding moribund shops, restaurants and theatres and revitalizing social and economic patterns."
But in the past few years, many of those immigrants, having amassed their own wealth, moved to Mississauga, Scarborough and Markham. A large number also returned to Hong Kong.
Most of the recent immigrants have come from mainland China. More geographically dispersed than earlier waves of Chinese immigrants, this community hasn't succeeded in revitalizing old Chinatown.
"The character of Chinatown has changed," says Stephen Chan, owner of Bright Pearl Seafood restaurant on Spadina. "The elders have retired and their kids became professionals and are doing other things. There is nobody to carry the torch, so Chinatown has been left unattended."
Markham and Richmond Hill, says Chan, who is also the vice-president of the Toronto Central China Town Development Association, are drawing the younger generations. "Look at the houses up there. They're larger, newer. It's urban sprawl."
He sees history repeating itself. "The history of Chinatown is the same, whether European, Irish, Jewish, Chinese. They make money and they're gone."
In the past, downtown Chinatown could always count on both locals and tourists to bring in business. By 1997, however, Pacific Mall and Market Village had set a course entrenching that region as a Chinese stronghold.
Then, the tourists dropped off dramatically. The Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the United States, as well as Toronto's SARS outbreak in 2003, reduced visits from abroad. Chinatown hasn't recovered.
Chan says business along Spadina is down at least 30 per cent. Along Dundas St. it's even worse.
With no time to lose, he's organized a group to create something he says could be the answer to Chinatown's problems: a business improvement association.
A BIA is a partnership with City Hall that helps local property owners and businesses revitalize their areas through organizing and cost-sharing (there are currently 54 of them in Toronto). The city collects a levy from owners based on their property values, and then distributes money to the local BIA, which can be used for anything from sidewalk improvements to street furniture to festival lights.
"It's the first step," Chan says. "We need to band together to clean up, beautify and promote the area."
About 30 people attended the BIA steering committee's first meeting last week. Many talked about the need to find a solution to the lack of parking in the area, the traffic problems, and even Chinatown's stigma as "dirty."
There are other signs, too, that Chinatown is fighting back.
Since December, there's been a formal partnership with Tourism Toronto, Chan says, allowing the agency to do heavier promoting of Chinatown.
And for the Chinatown Centre mall south of Dundas St., a new hotel is being built on the top two floors, which have been empty for years.
Still, these are small solutions compared to the big problem the area faces.
Walk through the glass doors of Chinatown Centre and you'll understand. Many of the stores are empty, papered over with newsprint. The escalators to and from the lower level, where you find a performance stage, sit idle, thick with dirt.
In one far corner, hairdresser Yan is cutting a long-time client's hair. Opposite her salon is an empty shop, for sale. The owner is asking $52,000. A smaller spot in the coming Splendid China Tower in Markham would cost twice as much.
"You see how dead is this mall," says Yan, who declined to give her last name. "Even I want to get rid of this business, but nobody will buy it. That's why I have to be here every day. It's very, very hard."
Her client, Haphung Hien, 78, says the thinning crowds have left her feeling unsafe. "I don't wear jewellery when I come," she says. And she points at her coat: it's an old one, so she doesn't look like she has any money to steal.
Down the corridor, Vyona Ma, surrounded by dozens of traditional Chinese herbs and tonics, says her mother wants to move her business to Markham.
But it's not all bad news for Alfred Yuen, the mall's manager. He says many empty shops are currently changing hands. And there is hope because of the new hotel, which he says will bring tourists and new customers to live where they can shop.
"I can see a better future for our shopping centre and for the whole of Chinatown," says Yuen, also a driving force behind a new BIA.
Tour guide Lum, who takes frequent treks through the downtown Chinatown, points to a new Taiwanese bakery, a herbal shop where the owners' son has decided to carry the torch despite his computer degree, and a good dim sum restaurant that opened recently as bright lights amid the dullness.
"We need," she says, "to find again that focus — our connection with the neighbourhood and its whole history.

It's an interesting article, but I've seen Chinatown migrating north for a decade or so. My parents live right next to Market Village and Pacific Mall, but before that, we lived in another then-emergant Chinese area, in Agincourt.

There's always going to be a market for a downtown Chinatown though. In London, the Chinese live farther out, and the Chinatown has become more like a preserved attraction to sample Chinese culture. That seems similar to what's happening in Toronto. However, Spadina-Dundas is also welcoming new immigrants from China and Vietnam, changing the face of the area from the former Hong Kong and Taiwanese immigrants.

Cities change over time, quite to the contrast of the authors impression but "chinatown" might be dying but Spadina and Dundas is still one of the most lively intersections in Toronto. If the chinese move out others will and are moving in. The irony of the perceived wealth of outmigrants is that they may sell their victorian in downtown toronto for a monster home in the suburbs, but likely with the rising costs of living, downtown will be too exclusive for their kids to ever move back and own property as they did. So outmigration is a choice but most people will not be able to in-migrate without lowering their standard of living, in essence they are stuck (happily or unhappily) in the suburbs for good once they move. It is fine for young families, but I know that their are thousands of elderly chinese sitting in Markham basements that would give anything to live in the shoebox apartment my grandmother had off dundas.

The business woes of some chinese restaurants are the same as the business woes of many retailers on commercial strips in transition everywhere in Toronto. It is not a lack of business that keeps them struggling, but a lack of business sense in a shifting community dynamic. They keep substandard operations catering to non-existing ethnic clientele while on nearby streets people are fighting to fork over over 500,000 for housing and the fastest growing income group are those earning over 100,000.

In order to understand what's happenning to Chinatown, you have to understand the nature of the Spadina neighbourhood. It has always been a place where marginalized immigrant or ethnic groups have gained a footing in Canadian society. More so than any other part of Toronto, Spadina/Dundas is there to serve its local community. I can't stress the word LOCAL enough.

Tourists and non locals only scratch the surface of this community. They don't notice what really matters which is the doctors, lawyers, brokers, banks, and more that offer all of their services completely in the language or cultural mindset of the community. Chinatown isn't there for people from upstate New York to buy a dragon sculpture, it's the backbone of the local community.

Once the make up of the sourrounding area changes - and it has been doing that regularly for 100 years - there's no need for "Chinatown" to exist anymore. You can't preserve Chinatown when it's unable to perform is purpose anymore. If there was actually a point in saving Chinatown, the way it would have to be done is fundamentally different from reviving an area like Downtown Yonge.

This cycle is normal and healthy for this part of Toronto. Spadina and Dundas was once the thriving cultural epicenre of Jewish Toronto. It's not Jewish anymore, but it's still thriving. In 20 years, Chinatown will be a thing of the past, but a new group will have made the area vibrant again. And in 30 years, that group too will have left, and new group will take foot.

Ironically, death of Chinatown proves that Spadina and Dundas has yet again served its most important purpose. It may be tough to swallow, but the healthiest thing we can do for this area is to just let Chinatown die in peace...

It is interesting that no one (including the follow up article on Ossington area) seems to feel that the area could be gentrified by anyone other than white people (or Canadians as the other article awkwardly terms them). I am not sure why relatively affluent, young asian people would not want to move into the city and live in this area. I'm not saying this is going to or is happening but who knows? Vancouver's has been trying to gentrify and still preserve the asian-ness of its downtown chinatown. They have built a new gate, funded the chinese cultural center and museum and are trying to promote some kind of "silk road" walking tour to link the area with downtown. There have also been some condo's build catering to asian demographics with asian retail inclosed (international centre (?) and a TNT (asian supermarket).

I think the (Spadina + Dundas) Chinatown as it is must accept the reality of the demographic forces (gentrification, dispersal of the Chinese community, aging of the local Chinese population, etc) at work, and look for opportunities to capitalize on it. There is nothing wrong with welcoming retail opportunities in the area to cater to the increasingly diverse area.

Take note of the history, provide cultural specific services to individuals in the area that requires them, but let the area evolve. Ultimately whether Chinatown survives or not as a functional Chinese community is something only the latter can decide.

mpolo:

I am not sure why relatively affluent, young asian people would not want to move into the city and live in this area.

The perception of Chinatown as it currently exists differs significantly from what a good chunk of the affluent young asians want. It's probably too downmarket for the HK type to start, whereas those who are born and/or raised here might find it a little too closely associated with Chinese culture, whom they might only have a low level of affinity to.

re: the article:

Once a prosperous hive of activity, Toronto's downtown Chinatown, centred on Dundas St. W. and Spadina Ave, is now dismal and bleak. Most of the good restaurants have gone. Businesses are suffering. Only a few fruit stands remain. Litter swirls around the cold and lonely sidewalks.

That's bit of wild hyperbole - certainly, there are quite a few good Chinese restaurant still in the area (which I think is on par with what's available at the burbs); Asian Legend opposite the AGO for northern Chinese fare - a chain that has outlets in Markham but this one is the fanciest - I shudder to think the amount of money they spent on the renovation) and Lee Garden near the LCBO on Spadina - which is consistently one of the best Chinese restaurant anywhere, period.

They've also neglected to note the fact that Chinatown has been extremely "Chinese" for awhile now, given the large influx of Vietnamese businesses into the area. The Vietnamese restaurant at the NW corner Spadina and St. Andrew is certainly great.

AoD

Vancouver's has been trying to gentrify and still preserve the asian-ness of its downtown chinatown. They have built a new gate, funded the chinese cultural center and museum and are trying to promote some kind of "silk road" walking tour to link the area with downtown. There have also been some condo's build catering to asian demographics with asian retail inclosed (international centre (?) and a TNT (asian supermarket).

Interesting you point out Vancouver, which I believe has by proportion of population the largest Chinese community in Canada (by number it's Toronto). Enclosed retail, combined with residential units in Chinatown already exists in Dragon City and Chinatown Centre. Chinatown gates are being planned for both this Chinatown and East Chinatown at Broadview and Gerrard. However there are areas that Toronto can learn from Vancouver. I know that Vancouver's is one of many North American Chinatowns that shuts down its streets for an annual Chinese New Year parade. Toronto, on the other hand, holds a boring CNY celebration at the Automotive Building at CNE that few people go to.

There's a T&T in Vancouver's Chinatown? T&T is a good place to shop, but it has a reputation of being the Chinese-Canadian version of Walmart. Its two Steeles locations recently killed off the Big Land Farms chain. There's no way of telling what a Chinatown T&T would do to the grocery stores there.

re: Chinatown cuisine

Since I went to Ryerson, with the help of some people in my class who frequent Chinatown, I've been able to go to a number of decent places to eat in Chinatown. My personal favourite is Canteen, a somewhat "fobby" Hong Kong style cafe in Dragon City that serves cheap and delicious lunch specials. It's very popular with university students.

re: article

Is "death" really the best word to describe Chinatown? I don't see much death going on, considering how lively Spadina and Dundas is with the pedestrian traffic, and considering how the LRT stop at Dundas is so crowded most of the time that TTC staff is stationed there to keep order (among other things). "Decline" might be a better word, especially to describe the situation with the old Chinatown community.

I don't see Chinatown dying any time soon. It's supported by Chinese students from downtown university campuses, as well as other Asian ethnic groups (mainly the Vietnamese), as some of you mentioned. There are also some old people in suburban Scarborough who can't stand places like Pacific Mall, and would rather make a daily commute to Chinatown to buy groceries.

Perhaps keep in mind that the biggest victims of Chinatown's "decline" are the 80s/90s-style enclosed shopping experiences like Chinatown Centre--that is, the stuff which catered most openly to the suburbanizing mindset in the first place.

Which leads me to imagine an dipsticky Asian miketoronto making a mountain out of this molehill, i.e. Chinatown is dying because the Chinatown Centre is dying, and those 905-zone Asians ought to be "punished" for abandoning the core, etc etc.

Lee Garden is certainly good...but it and its ilk are, I'm afraid, no comparison to some of what's on offer in Markham, which is simply sublime and much more upscale--Ding Tai Fung comes to mind.

But re: Chinatown, I don't get how one of the most vibrant, busy neighbourhoods in the city is "dying." What we may see, however, is a hipster takeover--being between Queen and College, Chinatown could easily be absorbed into the trendy maw. There are already a few such places on Spadina (Red Room, Shanghai Lily, and wasn't there an outpost of the Roxy nightclub in some alley off Spad.?) I think that would be a shame, as Chinatown is the only major ethnic neighbourhood that is so cose to downtown, but given the inexorable pace of yoga-and-sushi scenesterdom in the rest of Toronto, it seems likely.

Which leads me to imagine an dipsticky Asian miketoronto making a mountain out of this molehill, i.e. Chinatown is dying because the Chinatown Centre is dying, and those 905-zone Asians ought to be "punished" for abandoning the core, etc etc.

I'm in for punishment? That's news to me.

allabootatt:

Lee Garden is certainly good...but it and its ilk are, I'm afraid, no comparison to some of what's on offer in Markham, which is simply sublime and much more upscale--Ding Tai Fung comes to mind.

Actually I found a lot of the restaurants in Markham et al., for the lack of a better word, "anal" and pretenious, while serving food that is IMO ho-hum for double the price and 3/4 of the serving in the name of being "delicate".

The only thing good about Ding Tai Fung is the the soup dumplings (xiao long biao), the rest of the menu is only so-so. A better place for Shanghainese food would be 369 Restaurant in Mong Kok Plaza (is that the right English translation even)?

wylie:

There's a T&T in Vancouver's Chinatown? T&T is a good place to shop, but it has a reputation of being the Chinese-Canadian version of Walmart. Its two Steeles locations recently killed off the Big Land Farms chain. There's no way of telling what a Chinatown T&T would do to the grocery stores there.

I have to say that Big Lands was probably done in by their expansion in Mississauga, where they dumped in millions for the store (with granite flooring, even!), along with greater competition by T&T. The fact that there are other survivors in Scarborough/Markham suggests to me T&T wasn't the sole cause. And let's face it, T&T is the cleanest of the lot (and that's a good thing, considering the mostly abysmal hygiene conditions at most of their competitors).

I have to say, I am a fan of their "Chi Fan"...

AoD

I think the English name of "Mong Kok Plaza" is Peachtree Plaza. The one at Hwy. 7 and Kennedy, right?

re: T&T

There are way fewer Chinese supermarkets in Scarborough and Markham than there were a few years ago. I used to remember Chinatown-style supermarkets sprouting up all over the place around Scarborough. The plaza near where I live used to support two supermarkets. Now, with the closure of Big Land Farms, you can't get groceries there anymore. With the rise of not just T&T, but big mainstream stores like No Frills, Food Basics and Loblaws that are selling Chinese food products to attract Chinese shoppers, the small supermarkets are getting less and less of the market. It's like the Walmart phenomenon all over again.

The Chinatown in Toronto that I see dying out first isn't Spadina and Dundas. It's Agincourt. On Sheppard from Brimley to Kennedy you can see dead or declining Chinese malls which a decade ago was the heart of Chinese Scarborough. Part of the reason for the decline is the rise of malls and big box Chinese shopping around Kennedy and Steeles. Also, many of the Hong Kong immigrants in the area have moved out to bigger homes in Richmond Hill or Markham, replaced by mainland Chinese who have less spending power and are relatively less entrepreneurial than the Hong Kongers, and South Asians who care little for Chinese shops and restaurants. The crime wave hitting Scarborough right now is only going to help fan this "yellow flight". I can see Agincourt either turning into a South Asian strip like Eglinton East, or just dying out completely. Too bad the proposed Sheppard Subway extension dips south to Scarborough Centre just as it hits this area, so I don't see how the subway might benefit this strip.

Back to T&T. Despite being so much like Walmart, I have to say I do like their food. My favourite is their $3.99 rice box combo- comes with choice of two Chinese dishes, a soup, and an occasional green banana.

Also you know it's going to be boaring and lame as hell with all those stores, all selling the same boaring crap in Pacific Mall.

As they say, one man's garbage is another man's treasure. People flock there to buy cheap computer parts, essential Asian appliances like electric rice cookers, hot pots, and soy milk makers, and Chinese herbal medicine. Not to mention fake DVDs of Chinese and Hollywood movies and TV shows that the police have an easy time raiding there once in a while.

"The plaza near where I live used to support two supermarkets. Now, with the closure of Big Land Farms, you can't get groceries there anymore."

One of which was good old Miracle Mart.

"The Chinatown in Toronto that I see dying out first isn't Spadina and Dundas. It's Agincourt."

Probably, but it'll be a while, decades, maybe 50 years even, and only if/after the cultural makeup of Agincourt undergoes a sweeping change. I can see it turning into a jumbled Asian strip, but as long as a decent number of Chinese people live in the area it'll keep some Chinese businesses.

The stores and mini-malls in Scarborough are mostly second class compared to what's gone up in Markham the past few years...there's a lot less of that flashy Hong Kong style (which makes Oriental Centre, the ex-Brimley Ghost, seem pathetic in context) and while some of that is just due to it being the first wave in the Great Mall of China (I guess Markham is the second), some might now also be due, as you say, to catering to mainland Chinese folks who are replacing the wealthier Hong Kong'ers who're movin' on up to the 905.

I had to laugh when I read in the article that the streets of Chinatown were deserted. I live a 20 min. walk away from Chinatown and I shop there 2 to 3 times a week. I can tell you that the streets and stores I shop in are never deserted, as a matter of fact, on the weekends it's so packed, I get clostophobic in the stores, so I have no idea what they are talking about. With all the new development, especially in cityplace, which seems to have a high Asian population, I can't believe Asians, en mass, are abandoning Chinatown to shop in lifeless, depressing strip malls like Pacific Mall. I go to Pacific Mall about once every 6 months but it will never be a place I frequent because driving there is a pain and with traffic on Steeles getting worse by the day, downown Chinatown is a much better option. I can have a much nicer time and meet way more Asian friends I know walking and socializing on Spadina, then I ever would meet at the, get in and get out quickly, mentality of suburban shopping malls on Steeles. Also you know it's going to be boaring and lame as hell with all those stores, all selling the same boaring crap in Pacific Mall. I don't get why anyone but a total suburbanite, would go up there to shop and not all Asians dream of living in suburban hell. (trust me)
As for Spadina Chinatown, I find it interesting the guy who runs Chinatown Centre Mall is instumental in starting the BIA. I think he should clean up his own mall first. Both Chinatown Centre and Dragon malls arein serious need for som TLC. They build them up but then let them deteriorate until it looks like some slum mall. Spend a bit of cash to renovate and fix things up. All of Chinatown needs a renovation and a huge cleanup but it must be maintained, not just once and then left to decline. Some of the restaurants there look so dirty and run down. My frends from America wouldn't even condider eating in Chinatown last summer due to the fact everything looked to dirty for them. Clean up the stores, restaurants and the streets. Hold a few more major festivals and events there, where you close off Spadina to all traffic. (Yonge st. does it) Put some money into distinctive Asian design, art, architecture, culture, museums, and PROMOTION, then maybe you can make Chinatown seem cool and turn things around. Yes, it takes money but that's what it takes for ALL parts of Toronto to thrive. Nothing stays the same, either it get's better or worse. Putting in new gates, hotels, nice restaurants, cool stores, flowers, benches, art, fountains and anything with a distincly Asian style will all help to change the perception of Chinatown dieing. As for the guys who own Chinatown Centre and Dragon Mall, clean the damn things up. The walls and floors are just nasty! Buy a bit of paint, some flooring, nice wood, new furnishings and invest in your properties. I once saw some crazy guy throw his milkshake at the main window where the elevator is in Dragon Mall and a month later it still hadn't been cleaned up. It would have taken a cleaner 3 minutes to clean it up but it stayed there for months. That is simply neglect and inexcusable. That's the reason Chinatown is looking so dumpy. It can be easilly turned around, hopefully the city will put some pressure on the BIA there, (once it gets started) to get it's act together, not only for the sake of Chinese merchants but for the city as a whole.

As a smaller example Chinatown can just look at Koreatown which has been making steady improvements with a host of bright new clean restaurants, supermarkets and retailers. There is a youthful energy and general optimism. The BIA is active and non-koreans are taking notice (this was not at all the case in the 80's and 90's when local business were incredibly uninterested in non-Korean patrons). The potential is there for Chinatown to be thriving, but the business owners need to get it in their heads that this is 2006 and people, chinese or otherwise, will not tolerate filthy substandard establishments.

Back