News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

Cannabis Law

Just to be clear, I am for legalizing it. Decriminalizing sort of seems like the worst of both worlds. Given that it is almost de facto decriminalized (I don't think any cop would charge you with anything under 5g), I don't see what decriminalization would accomplish.

I think decriminalizing pot is the first step - but as mentioned it's not a perfect step. Some sort of imagined instant legalization would create a huge number of problems due to misperceptions. For some ardent cannabis promoters, legalization would mean a free-for-all; do as you please anywhere and any time. Remember, legalization also means definition by laws, and those laws must first be created. Any effort to do so would inevitably be very contentious. Just look at the legal history of tobacco and alcohol for examples.

To illustrate, you can smoke tobacco while driving your car, but you can't drink alcohol. Would you want someone lighting up some cannabis while driving? Effects can vary considerably. You can drink alcohol on the outdoor patio of a bar or pub, and sometimes you can smoke, too. Should that automatically mean someone can smoke pot there as well? Who would be allowed to sell cannabis? If the cost is regulated and taxed by government, will it actually eliminate the illegal (unregulated) sales? Will you be allowed to cultivate it in your own back yard? Then there are the ongoing issues of addiction and health, and the costs associated with those. In the end, how many pot advocates would bridle at the thought of the government actually regulating the distribution, use and content of their favoured substance?

Wanting to do as one pleases does not automatically secure goods for all of society, or satisfy the concerns of all citizens. Legalization would certainly not result in allowing someone to do as he or she pleases.

i'd rather they regulate/legalize prostitution first.

Prostitution is legal in Canada.

There are probably a dozen or more laws making it hard to conduct business (like a normal business) though:
- Operating a common bawdy house (more than 1 prostitute)
- Living off the avails of prostitution (pimping - i.e. agency)
- Soliciting for the purposes of prostitution (mostly aimed at street-level)
etc.

I heard one can be a prostitute but not be on the street selling her/himself.

Prostitution is legal in Canada.

There are probably a dozen or more laws making it hard to conduct business (like a normal business) though:
- Operating a common bawdy house (more than 1 prostitute)
- Living off the avails of prostitution (pimping - i.e. agency)
- Soliciting for the purposes of prostitution (mostly aimed at street-level)
etc.

oh ya, forgot it was legal. :eek:

still think it should be a regulated business with testing, etc.

I don't touch the stuff, but I'm all for decriminalization and then legalization. Sell it in packages like cigarettes and tax it. Smoking pot has a stigma attached to it but I have to tell you, I'd much rather encounter a group of pot smokers than someone who is drunk on my way home at night.
At the end of the day we'll never see any progress for this topic or sex trade workers under the current government.

I think the decriminalization/legalization movement is in some ways it's own biggest enemy. I like pot, but am not in love with it. If anyone has ever attended a pot power rally, it is quite a silly procession. People just make crude jokes, superimpose the Cannabis leaf on random memes and then portray pot as the ultimate solution to societies woes. It is almost cultist. I think the movement would have much more credence if it got normal people to make a case for liberalizing pot laws based on purely economical, social and ethical benefits. Not a bunch of people wearing RATM t-shirts going to Queen's Park to hit a bong.

I think the decriminalization/legalization movement is in some ways it's own biggest enemy. I like pot, but am not in love with it. If anyone has ever attended a pot power rally, it is quite a silly procession. People just make crude jokes, superimpose the Cannabis leaf on random memes and then portray pot as the ultimate solution to societies woes. It is almost cultist. I think the movement would have much more credence if it got normal people to make a case for liberalizing pot laws based on purely economical, social and ethical benefits. Not a bunch of people wearing RATM t-shirts going to Queen's Park to hit a bong.

You're right. The stereotyped pothead who looks like he hasn't had a shower in a week inevitably gets covered on the evening news all too often.

During a past election I was at an all-candidates debate. One of the people running was from the Marijuana Party, and every response of his was to turn the issue back to marijuana. And yes, every solution to every problem was to be found in cannabis. It was amusing only up to a certain point.

Or the one's who are pushing medical marijuana who also just happen to love it recreationally. They are using the sick as a wedge issue, so as to allow them to get high legally further down the road.

My old girlfriend used to work at the Toronto "Compassion Centre" and man oh man, did the guy who owned that place make a tonne of money. It was sickening to me that he was protrayed (by himself and his supporters) as someone who was taking this risk for the good of the sick, meanwhile he was lining his pockets, daring the police to take him on.

Have these people ever gone out of their way for the sick in any other capacity? Doubtful in a vast majority of cases (and I would guess never with the same vigour), yet they claim to be champions for them. Enough.

That being said, just legalize the damn stuff. Nothing will change, anyone who wants it can easily get it now, anyway. May as well legitimize the production and control the product.

Taxing it heavily would just push it underground again and maintain the criminal element
Tax it identically to cigarettes.

It would but imo many people would pay extra to buy weed in a nice shop instead from drug dealers with guns. :D

Or worry about what's in it...

Everyone has heard a story about someone in their community that got seriously messed up or died from laced marijuana.

Back