News   Jul 17, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 573     0 

Canada's next Prime Minister?

Who would win in the Federal Elections?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Calling Dion a weak leader makes me laugh. A weak leader wouldn't overcome the massive ad attack that Harper put against Dion to tarnish his image. Many (including myself) see Dion as a man who cares about our future and is willing to do whatever it takes to take Canada to that future. I can't recall ever thinking there was a politician who actually cared about Canada instead of playing politics like a game. Dion has character, and that my friend is the true core of a strong leader.

Word.

Harper's "buy stock" advice is right up there with the infamous Marie Antionette "let them eat cake" utterance.

My God, what is Harper thinking...

Calling Dion a weak leader makes me laugh. A weak leader wouldn't overcome the massive ad attack that Harper put against Dion to tarnish his image. Many (including myself) see Dion as a man who cares about our future and is willing to do whatever it takes to take Canada to that future. I can't recall ever thinking there was a politician who actually cared about Canada instead of playing politics like a game. Dion has character, and that my friend is the true core of a strong leader.

my perception of Dion has changed however, I am certain that if Dion was not the Liberal leader, the Liberals would be walking away with this.

However considering the circumstance, the Liberals will declare victory, even if they lose, because they overcome the media writing them off.

Plus Polls are showing anywhere from a 8-12% lead for the Liberals in Ontario.
I inputted the polls results from Ontario, and Its a possibility that the Liberals could easily gain seat and if there is a 8-12 point spread in Ontario, Liberals could pick up 10 seats.

In Quebec, things are pointing towards a Complete Bloc domination.

Looking around the internet, Cons from Out West are doing the Typical "Idiots in The East" thing again. Hey, at least we don't elected MP's who get 85% of the vote.

n521926812_1352775_4136.jpg

Dion has improved considerably and clearly he is confident. The recent CBC interview clearly shows why he has not been able to win (his accent), but it shows clearly this man has ideas and he has a policy and he has changes.
So imo even though many do not like his plan, but compared to Harper who has no plan or ideas, it makes Dion look strong.

What ever happened to the Tory 5-point plan, and really where is their adverting in Ontario!!! I remember in the last election, I saw the Vote Tory and Honk ad like 20 times a day. Now I see Harper trying the "don't worry be happy" thing with his sweaters again.

Really whats with CTV news showing favouritism to Harper. They were literally dismissing the Polls showing Harper falling behind.

Also they said Harper has a lot of time to recover.

NO he does not, as really has till Friday, as many people do not watch the news and care of politics on a Long Weekend. These three days were critical and today was spend on "let them have cake....

I mean stocks" gaffe. :D

Nice to see Harper falling and really he will win, but Liberal Pyrrhic Victory.

From Yahoo Canada News:

Canada's PM says mother has market jitters too
Wed Oct 8, 4:04 PM

OTTAWA (AFP) - Prime Minister Stephen Harper invoked his mother on Wednesday in a bid to deflect criticisms that he is out of touch with Canadians concerned about stock market slides and economic uncertainty.

Pursued over comments this week that a falling stock market presented buying opportunities for investors, Harper said: "I understand that the opposition parties want to talk about pessimism, about panic on the stock markets, but that doesn't help the situation."

Harper acknowledged that Canadians were upset about "big losses" in recent weeks.

"I know that because ... my mother is one of those people and I hear about it every single day," he said.

"She's the person closest to me who is most worried about the stock market these days. And, believe me, I get quicker updates from her on the stock market than I do from the Department of Finance," said Harper.

"But," he added, "what is the government to do about that? What does a prime minister do about that?"

On Monday, the Toronto Stock Exchange saw its biggest one-day drop in more than two decades. Since the start of the year, the S&P/TSX Composite Index has lost more than 25 percent of its value.

Canada's third largest bank meanwhile said in a report that Canada and its biggest trading partner the United States were on the verge of a recession that could persist well into 2009.

The International Monetary Fund offered a slightly more optimistic forecast on Wednesday, saying Canada would be the only G7 nation to see its economy grow by more than one percent next year.

But it was not enough to quell jitters that again sank the Toronto Stock Exchange in early trading as central banks stepped in to lower rates around the world.

Opposition parties meanwhile hammered Harper on his "stay the course" plan, accusing him of glossing over fears of a possible spillover of economic and financial woes into Canada.

"Rather than acknowledging the fear and hurt being felt by Canadians, Stephen Harper said yesterday that he saw buying opportunities in the stock market," said Liberal leader Stephane Dion.

"He is completely out of touch with the impact the current economic turmoil is having on the lives of everyday Canadians," he said.

Harper shot back: "We know that people are worried and they have a right to be worried about what's going on in financial markets."

"The point I'm trying to make is that governments do not get caught up in stock market panic and pessimism."

Rather, governments must focus on long-term economic plans, he said.

In the interim, Harper urged Canadians "not to panic ... and we will get through this."

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/081008/canada/canada_vote_family

The Average Joe is less concerned about the stock market than what the general economic crisis will mean for their job, retirement, ability to get a mortgage, etc. If all Harper can muster is getting stock tips from his mom instead of thinking and demonstrating how he can manage the coming rise in unemployment, bankruptcies and such, he is quite frankly more out of touch than one can image.

AoD

Really, mark my words, the "let them buy stocks" gaffe can cost him his job and 100% cost him any chance of doing better.

lol, Tory are really not doing well.

The Tories would easily win arguments over the Green plan, but when ever they criticize the Liberal plan, the Liberal person says you have no plan.

I am seeing the Liberals winning arguments over the Green Shift now on TV.

WTF!!! :eek:

People have realized Dion is not a lost guy who is a oaf, and that the green shift is a crazy tax hike.

Also, when Harper says the Liberals are bad economic managers.

People may not like Chretien and Martin, but they remember their tenures as as being good times.

"Come on! The Ontario car industry is the US companies for the most part. A small increase in expansion from non North American companies is not going to make up for a larger decline from the three majors in Detroit."

SHHHH! Do not confound the debate with reality! Toyota builds a plant in Woodstock and hires 900; GM and Ford lay off 2,400 - that is what passes for progress in this day and age. Japan Inc has done an admirable job of convincing the sheeple that its okay to offshore most of our jobs because, after all, the Civic is 'built' in Alliston - yeah, right! Who owns the intellectual property? Where are the value added jobs (engineers, designers, metallurgists, etc.)?
Japan Inc 'assembles' cars here. Nothing more. GM actually designs and builds them here. The Germans and Koreans don't even do that much!

And while GM struggles with over 100,000 people on the pension plan, Honda has 200 people on retirement.

But that's okay! Go ahead Kingsway and Rosedale with your love affair of all things foreign: I hope yours are among the first jobs to be lost as Bay St. melts down.

[End of rant.] :eek:

Some polls are showing a practical dead heat.

Others show there is no Liberal surge...

hey these are the same polls that said Harper won the debate...

So the vitriol is starting to pour in from the West for Ontarians daring to not vote like them. This one is from the Dregs of the Earth, the Globe and Mail message board. I know, I try not to read it. Funny that we don't hate them for not voting like us all these years... The biggest irony about his rant against the dastardly tax-and-spend Easterners is that his riding is represented by the NDP... Sounds like most of his "Cascadian" neighbours don't share his values either.

Michael Sharp from Victoria BC, Canada writes:

As of today, it is all a disappointment.
Status quo.

I am appalled by ANY support for the Liberals.

Apparently the lust for tax and spend runs deep back east.
And all based on a platform of anti-Americanism.

I don't like you.
I know you don't care, but what I've seen is plenty.
Your values are NOT my values.

I am seriously considering running for office on a party whose premise it is to leave Confederation.
I am tired of taxation without representation.

So it matters little if I don't like you.
What matters is the steps I take to change my situation and millions like me.

The Republic of Cascadia.
We will pride ourselves on our anti-Canadianism.
Posted 09/10/08 at 12:00 AM EDT |

People in BC should shut up.

They are the biggest supporters of the NDP...

They are more anti-American then anyone here in Canada.

unimaginative:

I am tired of taxation without representation.

Geez, how original (and inaccurate) is that. Perhaps what he meant to say is "I am tired of my vote being of the same value as everyone else in the country, because my views are right and special."

AoD

Back