News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Canada's next Prime Minister?

Who would win in the Federal Elections?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, Crisis averted.

No Majority of the Conservatives.

The Liberals sank in BC, however the NDP took thier place, so no significant PC pickpups...

Atlantic Canada is Liberal land really, the 2 of three tory seats in Newfoundland are expected to go Liberal and the third to the NDP.

Quebec was suppose to be where the Tories surged. However the BLOC and the Liberals have rebounded. Meaning, no large number of rural Quebec seats will be lost from the Bloc and the Liberals will hold onto Montreal.

Ontario is still a tie between the Liberals and The Tories and I think only 12 Ontario seats will shift from the Liberals to the Tories...

Considering they will lose a total 2-3 in Ontario, 2-3 in Atlantic Canada, there is no way.

The mentality of "the country's doing well so I am voting for Harper" has got to go.

No, it doesn't "have to go". The government should be whoever the people vote in. Your opinion is no more valid than any other's, thus it is arrogant to say that it has "got to go" because you don't want them in.

Do people have no aspirations for this country, no vision of the future?? Harper's well documented far-right ideology & policies just don't cut it!

Don't cut it for who? You? Not everyone is as left-leaning as you. I wouldn't want a far-right (which I don't consider Harper) or a far-left government. One is just as bad as the other.

Is Harper going to be capable of shifting industry towards renewable energy production? No.

Oh really. Did you just come back from the year 2013? No one knows yet. I think he's just as capable as the other major parties.

Is he going to institute national childcare

What kind of national childcare do you want? I have lots of friends with kids, and they are quite happy with the childcare companies out there. What do you see wrong with the current system?

claiming exports are very important to the economy

Exports are EXTREMELY important to our economy. Have been since our country was founded.

"I'll cut your taxes so vote for me".

I don't know if he'll be able to accomplish this or not, but I hope so.

Harper is appealing to the lowest common denominator

And the Liberals aren't? Please.

I say, let's give Harper a majority and see what happens. I have a lot of faith in the Civil Service and their ability to act as a buffer.

Oh yeah, I like this idea. That's how Mr. Mike Harris got elected. And I'm even seeing shades of Harris in the new Mr. Harper with his 'elite elitist artists' working against the 'common man.' Of course, we'll ignore that Harper is the one that's a member of the elite, not the vast majority of artists. But it worked so well for Harris.

I have no faith in the ability of Conservatives to manage a government, especially with Flaherty being in charge of the economic portfolio.

No, it doesn't "have to go". The government should be whoever the people vote in. Your opinion is no more valid than any other's, thus it is arrogant to say that it has "got to go" because you don't want them in.
Yep. I def don't want Harper's Reform neo conservative nutjobs in power. The are all recycled from Mike Harris's Ontario gov't of the 90's.

What kind of national childcare do you want? I have lots of friends with kids, and they are quite happy with the childcare companies out there. What do you see wrong with the current system?

In Ontario anyway, there IS no childcare system! You get a hundred bucks per kid a month which doesn't even buy more than 3 days at a really cheap daycare. There's years-long waiting lists for any daycare or preschool, if you can even get in at all to the place of your choice, near work or school. I would MUCH rather be paying into a system that takes care of every kid, instead of the race it is to get something privately or even city-owned! Just doesn't exist! It's a farce!

Exports are EXTREMELY important to our economy. Have been since our country was founded.

Well, I guess I have to spell it out for you Einstein. Yeah we export raw materials, such as lumber, sure, at a certain price - great for us. Yippee...but then we buy the shiz back such as hockey sticks made out of our lumber at an even higher price, made from our own exported wood! It's a negative net profit!! Totally useless!

Oh yeah, I like this idea. That's how Mr. Mike Harris got elected. And I'm even seeing shades of Harris in the new Mr. Harper with his 'elite elitist artists' working against the 'common man.' Of course, we'll ignore that Harper is the one that's a member of the elite, not the vast majority of artists. But it worked so well for Harris.

I have no faith in the ability of Conservatives to manage a government, especially with Flaherty being in charge of the economic portfolio.

Thank you.

if there is any solace you want from that is, that that message of elite artists has flopped big time in Quebec.

Imo it really sparked up the Bloc's who were able to twist it into "Harper hates Quebec Art". You know how defensive separatists are in Quebec of French culture.

It's an old tune that plays well in Quebec. There, it is construed as an attack on culture. And to many elites in Quebec, Canada has no culture - only Quebec does by virtue of the French language.

if there is any solace you want from that is, that that message of elite artists has flopped big time in Quebec.

Imo it really sparked up the Bloc's who were able to twist it into "Harper hates Quebec Art". You know how defensive separatists are in Quebec of French culture.

He should have seen it coming. And now it's cost him a majority at minimum, maybe more. IMO the Conservatives deserve losing the majority over idiotic ideological cuts like that. Cutting arts funding like that is just as bad as Liberals pledges to bring back the CCP and then double the funding. If you are going to talk the talk.....

It's an old tune that plays well in Quebec. There, it is construed as an attack on culture. And to many elites in Quebec, Canada has no culture - only Quebec does by virtue of the French language.

Yes, the pur laine have more culture that the rest of us anglo swine could ever hope for....

I liked what Duceppe said to harper in the english debate: "how can you say you support Quebec as a nation, when you tear out the culture's soul" when refering to the arts cuts. I like Duceppe, if only his party wasn't separatist, he'd be excellent PM material!

actually If duceppe ran in Toronto centre he would finish 2nd I think.

A lot of the cultural elite are singing his praises. :D

Actually, I'm surprised and heartened at just how poorly this message was received! And not just in Quebec. A sizable majority of the public disagreed with Harper's 'elitist artists' message in Ontario, B.C., and Quebec. However, in the former two places the disagreement was most widely expressed in areas where the Tories already had little chance of gaining seats. Not so in Quebec.

Yep. I def don't want Harper's Reform neo conservative nutjobs in power. The are all recycled from Mike Harris's Ontario gov't of the 90's.

In Ontario anyway, there IS no childcare system! You get a hundred bucks per kid a month which doesn't even buy more than 3 days at a really cheap daycare. There's years-long waiting lists for any daycare or preschool, if you can even get in at all to the place of your choice, near work or school. I would MUCH rather be paying into a system that takes care of every kid, instead of the race it is to get something privately or even city-owned! Just doesn't exist! It's a farce!

Well, I guess I have to spell it out for you Einstein. Yeah we export raw materials, such as lumber, sure, at a certain price - great for us. Yippee...but then we buy the shiz back such as hockey sticks made out of our lumber at an even higher price, made from our own exported wood! It's a negative net profit!! Totally useless!

Perhaps no one sent you the memo that Ontario built more automobiles than Michigan last year, making Ontario the Car Capital.
We do export a lot of raw materials, but Ontario's manufacturing base (and Quebec's) are essential to Canada's long term well being. How these are managed (or mis-managed) in the next few years could well spell prosperity or backwater status for Canada for generations to come.

actually If duceppe ran in Toronto centre he would finish 2nd I think.

A lot of the cultural elite are singing his praises. :D

It was a foolish thing to say, for sure. It's common knowledge that the "cultural/arts" industry are very well organized at the grass roots level. Nobody can whip up a frenzy or a few hundred placards on a doorstep like they can.

Back