News   Mar 28, 2024
 252     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 238     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 279     0 

Canada and the World

Sadly, I feel that an extended, decidedly un-democratic period of complete martial law is the only way to fix that place.

Perhaps China should take the lead? 🤣

What's in it for them? The only value would be PR and maybe a future presence in the Caribbean (which it can get via Cuba) - it's not exactly known for resources: human or otherwise. On the other hand a unstable Haiti will probably serve the purpose of weakening the moral standing of the West (think the destablizing effects say migrants will have on North American politics), and a money/reputation sink should it get involved. On that basis, I doubt they will get involved beyond words.

If we want to help people, we should establish a program to bring in a large number of Haitian refugees into our country. That would help them, and be money well spent. Where are the people lined up behind that idea?

I am sure Legault/CAQ would be enamoured to the idea.

AoD

Last edited:
Big article in The Star on the U.S. ask of us (Canada) to lead an intervention in Haiti;

Funny how The Star seems to think this is new, when I reported it as being on the agenda of a cabinet committee some months ago.........ah well...

There are some key points brought up worth noting, the first this this:

1679160109399.png

I did not realize we (Canada) had accumulated 20,000++ Haitian refugees in the last year alone....... that is an interesting consideration in all the calculus.

On the feasibility of intervention, there is this:

1679160214934.png

Some other interesting stuff there on issues of corruption, sanctions and potential rules of engagement and the consequences thereof; along with some promised, but delayed support for local police.

Based on a survey, Canadians would want to move to Japan, the Japanese would want to move to Britain, and Britons would want to move to Canada.

Many countries have people who want to move to Canada.
Interesting that so much of the anglosphere wants to move to Japan. Weebs?

Qatar has a lot of pull for the Arab world, but Qataris want to move to Canada.

The Dutch want to move to Spain, and Portugese want to move to Netherlands. Grass is greener? Fiji and New Zealand same story.

What this tells me is that if Japan wanted to stem its population collapse, immigration is an option.

Interesting that so much of the anglosphere wants to move to Japan. Weebs?

Qatar has a lot of pull for the Arab world, but Qataris want to move to Canada.

The Dutch want to move to Spain, and Portugese want to move to Netherlands. Grass is greener? Fiji and New Zealand same story.

What this tells me is that if Japan wanted to stem its population collapse, immigration is an option.

Except they don't want immigration, only guest workers. And people probably only want to move to Japan because of the cutesy Youtube videos that doesn't really fully communicate the difficulties of living there as a gaijin.

AoD

Haha, I guess I will admit to being a Canadian who finds Japanese culture interesting.

I occasionally watch some videos from Greg Lam, a Canadian documentary filmmaker who immigrated to Japan. He tends to give a bit more even handed impression of the cultural differences.

It is fascinating, but also very hard to truly "break into" - much less being fully accepted. And yup, I watched that channel and a few others as well.

AoD

Based on a survey, Canadians would want to move to Japan, the Japanese would want to move to Britain, and Britons would want to move to Canada.

Many countries have people who want to move to Canada.

Lets have a look at areas that name Canada:

1679241117207.png

1679241214594.png

1679241299363.png

1679241427844.png

I know I missed a couple of bits.

But Canada was the 1st choice of residents of:

Britain
Ireland
France
Belgium
India
Pakistan
Azerbaijan
Mexico
Belize
Bahamas
Jamaica
Grenada
Antigua
Dominican Republic
Barbados
Tunisia
Nigeria
Kenya
Tanzania
Seychelles
Rwanda
Ghana
Zambia
Madagascar
Zimbabwe
Zambia
Botswana
Namibia
South Africa
Mauritius

So the residents of 30 countries chose Canada.

Pretty sure that's more than any other country was chosen.

Spain, Germany and Japan all fared quite well.

Especially when you consider the population of those countries. China is not shown because it is based on Google search data and Google does not operate there. I would imagine Canada is top 3 for China if not number 1.

Back