News   Jul 18, 2024
 310     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 472     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 656     1 

Cabbagetown

Cabbagetown Restaurant comings and goings:

The "Hamdi" Halal Restaurant is closed and a liquor licence application has been posted for a new Japanese Tapas Restaraunt "Zakkushi". This is a Vancouver based Restaurant which should be a great addition to the neighborhood: http://www.zakkushi.com/new.html (opening in December)

Almost directly across the street in the storefront that housed the Trophy store another restaurant called "Cafune" is going in (liquor license applied for). Don't know anything about this restaurant but from the name I'm thinking it could be Portuguese, which again, would be a great addition to the area. Something different!

Finally on Parliament directly across the street from the Gas Station a restaurant has opened in the recently restored Victorian's. Not sure what the restaurant is because there is no signage other than "open" Looks nice inside with crystal chandeliers. Anyone know what this is?

UPDATE:

The website for "Cafune" is now up and it looks like my intuition was correct. It is going to offer Brazilian fare. From the description it looks like it will offer some exciting menu options.

http://cafune.ca/?page_id=5

"Cafuné connects you with the origins of Brazilian cuisine. We offer a variety of traditional meals, snacks and baked goods inspired by Indigenous and Afro-Brazilian cooking in early Brazilian times."

Last edited:
What happened to Viva Mexico on Parliament south of Wellesley. The lights are out but there is no sign. Somebody on the street told me it had been closed a couple of weeks but that he had heard it might re-open. Anybody know?

Also, Margaritas was closed last night, too. I hope that's just temporary.

Tried to go to Margaritas again last night and it's still closed with no sign in the window. Anybody know what happened? They were very established and doing fine as far as I could tell. The owner was great.

Do you know if Viva Mexico re-opened or is it gone now?

Tried to go to Margaritas again last night and it's still closed with no sign in the window. Anybody know what happened? They were very established and doing fine as far as I could tell. The owner was great.

Do you know if Viva Mexico re-opened or is it gone now?

Regarding Margaritas I heard that the owner was getting on in years and his daughters were no longer interested in running the business. I find it strange that they would just lock the place up and walk away since they could have sold it as a going concern and made lots of money, but who knows, maybe they own the building and have other plans for it.

In other restaurant news I noticed that a new restaurant opened up on Gerrard just east of Sherbourne in the storefront next to the Auto repair garage. I was surprised to see this because this storefront has been vacant for at least 10 years. I can't remember what was in there before. No clue about the menu but it looks nice inside.

UPDATE:

The new restaurant on Gerrard is called "Restina" offering a Greek menu. From their FB page:

"Retsina, located in the heart of Cabbagetown, is a dining room that is warm and inviting and our patio is one not to be missed.

"We carefully crafted fusion of traditional Greek dishes & enticing bistro fare, making the menu ideal for every palate. From mouth watering Moussaka, to fall of the form Roasted Salmon on grilled veggies to succulent Souvlaki. The mains make choosing your meal choice a challenge and pleasure, as everything on Retsina's menu is made fresh with locally sourced ingredients.

The wine bar offers a vast selection of wines from Greece, as well as notable growing regions by the glass. If your favourite is not on offer we will be happy to ensure it is available on your next visit.
If your pleasure lies in spirits, Retsina's bar is the home of smokey scotches, warm tequilas, soothing liqueurs and a variety of other premium tipples. For the lover of malt and barley, Retsina's selection of local and craft beers on tap will surely quench any thirst."

http://www.facebook.com/RetsinaRestaurant

Smash Burger from Restina's

A7KBy-wCMAEDhK6.jpg:large

Roasted Salmon

59637_374759302610231_895688508_n.jpg

photo credit: Restina's Restaurant

Last edited:
I think this is the old Coffee Time spot @ Winchester.

Application: Designated Structures Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 12 232416 DST 00 DS Accepted Date: Aug 21, 2012

Project: First Party Sign Building Permit Related

Description: To erect and display three wall signs and one overhanging structure sign at the westerly elevation and three wall signs and one overhanging structure sign at the southerly elevation of the building, all illuminated static copy, in conjunction with a proposed pharmacy. **Rexall**

Signs are up, along with new exterior lighting. Looks pretty good!

Snow removal services?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but here goes.

New to the thread. I think "Cabbagetown" is the thread. Correct me if I'm wrong. I live in cabbagetown, obviously, and I need a snow removal service. Does anybody know of anyone they can recommend? We have to clear the snow in our alleyway to allow us to swing the back gates open for parking and we also have the usual front sidewalk, walk to the house and stairs. We can't use a plough in the alleyway because we'd screw up the neighbours, and our alleyway is dead-end so it's a shovel-only job.

I'd appreciate any recommendations.

I've used Raymond Sykes, who lives near Cabbagetown. His number is 647-668-4352. He shovels laneways and sidewalks for me - more of a cleanup guy than a professional gardiner. In Fall/11 his labor rate is $13/hr (may have gone up - I changed tenants and got the new ones to shovel themselves).

Anyone been to the Japanese restaurant in the old Hamdi space?

I'm also curious about Jam Cafe, but we always end up at Stout (their draught cider is always sparkling nicely) or House (although the last 5 times, it's been bad.. but we've been going there since 05).

Anyone been to the Japanese restaurant in the old Hamdi space?

I'm also curious about Jam Cafe, but we always end up at Stout (their draught cider is always sparkling nicely) or House (although the last 5 times, it's been bad.. but we've been going there since 05).

I didn't know there was a new Japanese place in the old Hamdi. So there's the sushi place on the north side of Carlton at Ontario, Omi, the new place in the old Stone Grill, and now this? Someone is going to have to go.

Jam Cafe is ok. The food and service are good, but it's not cheap. If they took the prices down a bit, I'd eat there more.
Sunday's they have no corkage fees on BYOB, which certainly sweetens the deal.

My best outing at Stout was worse than my worst night at HOP. Loud music, slow indifferent service, sub-par but pricey food. I'd rather the Ben Wick's.

I've eaten at Kingyo twice now and I loved it both times. A great addition to the neighbourhood. I've also heard good things about the other new place down the street (Zakkushi...it's Japanese but not a sushi place, despite the name), but haven't tried it yet.

I tried Omi a couple of times when I moved into the neighbourhood a couple of years ago and wasn't that impressed. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it lost out to the new places (Kingyo and Zakkushi), but then again neither of the new places are really sushi places so they're not directly competing anyway.

Wait, i forgot the place which opened where the little wine bar was (just north of Jet Fuel, I can't believe I can't remember the name of it. Jason, it's where I met you and Dan for drinks during the Cabbagetown street festival a couple of years back). That's, what? 5 Japanese places within a block of each other? I know they're not all sushi places, but still. I don't see room for more than 3.

Wait, i forgot the place which opened where the little wine bar was (just north of Jet Fuel, I can't believe I can't remember the name of it. Jason, it's where I met you and Dan for drinks during the Cabbagetown street festival a couple of years back). That's, what? 5 Japanese places within a block of each other? I know they're not all sushi places, but still. I don't see room for more than 3.

The Coburg, that was it. It's also now a sushi/Japanese restaurant.

Back