News   Jul 18, 2024
 216     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 376     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 772     0 

Cabbagetown

Random question but would one say this is one of the best places (closest to the core) to see fall colours on trees ? (less parks / the Don Valley i.e. in an actual neighborhood) ?

The signs say what will be moving in is "Mymark". The employees in the store said that this is essentially a Bargain Shop! re-branding.

Unless I see otherwise, I don't think Mark's (Work Wearhouse) is moving in to this space.

I too thought that Marks Wearhouse was moving in here but I went to the Facebook page listed on the window and it is indeed a new store "new concept".

http://www.facebook.com/MyMarkStores

I had heard that it is being operated by the same company that runs the Bargain Shop (which began as Woolworth's) and that this re-branding is an attempt to counter competition from Target.

From FB page:

"You don't want to spend a lot to get the styles you love. You want incredible prices on the latest trends to keep your home looking great and you and your family dressed in style. Seems like a simple concept to us.

mymark makes shopping fun again, with a selection of cool clothes and home furnishings that you will love at prices that you'll love even more. "

Last edited:
Looks like an early morning for some local gangbangers in CT http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1274956--violence-puts-cabbagetown-residents-on-edge-fiorito

It's interesting that they describe the shooters as black male youths, since the Star usually doesn't provide descriptions.

Ha! Was just about to post that here.

Not so great, but from the couple folks I know that live in the area (though they never witnessed it first hand, just from neighbors), it does happen and isn't anything new, which makes it even more unfortunate in some ways.

A woman was stabbed to dath this morning on Ontario Street, near Winchester, per The Star. Some people tried to assist, but the suspect ran away. There is apparenttly security footage and a good description from witnesses.

Cabbagetown stabbing suspect described as "white man, standing about 5-feet, 10-inches tall."
Police believe that a woman who was fatally stabbed in a laneway near Toronto’s Cabbagetown district Tuesday was walking home from work at the time of the attack.

The stabbing took place at about 7 a.m. in a laneway off of Ontario Street, near Carlton and Parliament Streets.

Surveillance cameras recorded footage of the woman being followed by a male suspect before being stabbed once in the arm and a few times in the torso.

She was transported to hospital, but did not survive.

Witness Paul Down said he was nearby when he heard the victim screaming.

“(The assailant) started stabbing her repeatedly while she was screaming. My buddy fought him off with an umbrella,†he told CTV Toronto.

Down said the assailant fled south on Ontario Street, before running west on Carlton.

Little information has been released about the woman, who paramedics believe is 55 years old.

Toronto Police have just uploaded a security video to Youtube showing the suspect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atB5Z8U1qmY&feature=youtu.be

According to early reporting Police claim that there is a "tremendous" amount of surveillance video. I hope that they will not waste any further time in getting each and every one of these video's uploaded to Youtube.

From the very short clip my impression of the suspect is that he is not a homeless person - don't know why - something about his stride perhaps. Given the savagery of the attack I wonder if we are dealing with a thrill-killer?

I think that the best advice that we can give to women living downtown is to carry with them a can of mace. The Police will say that it is illegal to do so but the cops are rarely around to stop such attacks.

If this turns out to be a random event, my bet is it's a crazy guy, I mean emotionally disturbed person, who will soon be caught by police, determined to be unfit to stand trial, briefly institutionalized, deemed to be no longer a hazard, self-medicated and then released back into the public. I give it 2 years from murder to release. Hopefully I'm full of sh#t (not the first time) and this fellow goes away for decades.

That's an eerie video. You're most likely correct, Admiral. If that's the case, his release should be contingent on the shattering of his kneecaps with a Louisville Slugger. May the poor lady rest in peace and her loved ones find some comfort in this tragedy.

Last edited:
Hi. I live on Sumach, south of Spruce, bought our semi in 1998. Haven't seen a hooker since about 1999.

My two kids attend Winchester PS. It's switching to 100% French Immersion in Sept 2012, and enrollment won't be based on catchment area, but on lottery and waiting lists, so if you want in you need to enroll this Sept 2011. My kids are in the English stream at Winchester, which will eventually be eliminated in seven years time - at least that's the plan from the Trustee.

No one in CT sends their kids to Spruce Court. It's populated nearly 100% with Regent Park kids. ESL is big there. When Winchester goes to full French Immersion Spruce Court will be converted to a K to 6 to a K to 8 school, likely with portables in the short-term, but also requiring a bigger gymnasium. Maybe then Spruce Court won't be seen in CT as a school solely for minority immigrant children.

Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic school on Sherbourne is also very well regarded. It's easy to get in, just get yourself or your child baptized Catholic, and sign-up on registration day. The school bus for Lourdes picks up at the corner of Sumach and Spruce.

Never had a problem with on-street parking. You need a permit from the city. The ticket police are vigilant so make sure any visitors you have buy a daily visitors permit from the city.

I love living and raising my kids in Cabbagetown. I work in Markham so the commute can be nasty, but I'll never move to the burbs. I lived in Fredericton, NB for three years and rented out the house on Sumach, but the maritimes is not my favourite spot, good for vacation, not for living, especially if you're "from away".

AB, I've been reading this thread (and this one, http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...ughts-on-French-Immersion?p=679211#post679211 , and this one http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/18198-The-quot-School-District-quot-question ) with great interest. Thanks for providing info on the Cabbagetown school situation.

A few followup questions:

- Do you have a recommended daycare or similar (for those of us who are nanny-less)? Is Cabbagetown Co-op the only worthwhile one? http://www.cabbagetownnurseryschool.com/
- Are there nursery/daycare programs in the area to avoid? I would be interested in the Yonge Street Mission daycare, but it's in the sketchy building on Gerrard which gives me pause http://www.oldcabbagetown.com/content/yonge-street-mission-day-care
- Now that Winchester is moving to 100% French Immersion, how has the school changed?
- Is there a lottery at Winchester to get in? Is anyone "rejected" from the FI program?
- Now that Sprucecourt is the only non-French option in Cabbagetown, are more CT parents sending their kids there? Is it getting better?
- Are there specific programs or places for young mums that you recommend?

thanks / cheers

Last edited:
Police were out in force last night. A woman riding a bike up Parliament Street appearerd to either get hit by a car or hit by the car door just north of Winchester. Three cruisers showed up within 3 minutes, one of them unmarked. Then 3 cops on horseback appeared a few minutes later. No way they could get up from the division that quickly. The mounted units then turned down the alley and headed towards where the woman was stabbed.

On the plus side, it's good to see a stronger presence in the area, on the down side, there's horse shit all over the place. Seriously, why don't they use horse diapers?

Seriously, why don't they use horse diapers?
Horse pants...

47.jpg

Back