News   May 29, 2024
 1.1K     6 
News   May 29, 2024
 2.5K     7 
News   May 29, 2024
 562     0 

Cabbagetown

Am I reading this right? Parliament Street is about to get a full blown gay bar/dance club?
Perhaps The Village is ready to decamp for greener pastures to the east?

Or maybe just the lesbians? Maggie Casella is funny.. she used to be on TV (Much or MuchMore or something).

We went on a friday night, the beer was ok ( Caffreys on tap), the food was passable, considering it was all deep dried. I would say the place was a welcome edition to the neighbourhood, it offers something more lively than the HOP, more group orientated, I think the HOP appeals to those looking to talk, drink and eat, while the music in Stouts cuts into the conversation somewhat.

I checked out Stout the other night. I sat in the front, near the fireplace. I'm usually pretty sensitive to loud (conversation killing) music but didn't notice it at all. Perhaps they've already changed their policy on that. I was there on a Thursday, so that could also be the explanation.

I tried the devil's beef stew (which looked good from the pictures in the Toronto Life review). The first few bites of the stew were great but then I realized it was just really salty. Good thing I also had a pint of Cameron's Auburn Ale. Anyways, I liked the atmosphere there and would definitely go back and give them another try for dinner.

Young Thailand finally got it's sign up and it looks decent. Other than that, all seems to have been quiet on Parliament lately.
Has anyone heard of anything going on? Has anyone been to The Flying Beaver?

I haven't done this walk in a long while but I plan to soon:

How's the stretch of Parliament doing from say around Wellesley down to Gerrard.

There weren't too many vacancies when i did the walk last time and it seemed pretty vibrant ! That was a while ago though.

The Blockbuster on Parliament is going out of business. They have a big sale on right now. Also just around the corner on Winchester a store is opening up in the vacant sales centre for the town home project. Not clear what it will be - the sign in the window just says "something good coming to the hood June 1st". Down the street the home decorating store across from No-frills has a sign that says it is moving so maybe this is where they will be going.

There's a dozen fire turcks, haz-mat and ambulances racing up Parliament to cabbagetown. Police have Parliament street closed. What is going on?

There's a dozen fire turcks, haz-mat and ambulances racing up Parliament to cabbagetown. Police have Parliament street closed. What is going on?

A suspicious package (with white powder) was sent to MPP Glen Murray office.

I wonder if it is related to his speaking out against the Muslim Imam who spoke at the convention centre (on pride day) stating that homosexuals should be executed:confused:

A suspicious package (with white powder) was sent to MPP Glen Murray office.

I wonder if it is related to his speaking out against the Muslim Imam who spoke at the convention centre (on pride day) stating that homosexuals should be executed:confused:

Why should it be anything to do with muslims? In fact Glen Murray and Bob Rae share an office so it could just as well be a protest about some federal thing or just some stray white powder. Why speculate with abolutely NO evidence?

The Blockbuster on Parliament is going out of business. They have a big sale on right now. Also just around the corner on Winchester a store is opening up in the vacant sales centre for the town home project. Not clear what it will be - the sign in the window just says "something good coming to the hood June 1st". Down the street the home decorating store across from No-frills has a sign that says it is moving so maybe this is where they will be going.

Kendal ended up moving into the space east of parliament on Winchester...

Anyone knows whats coming into the Blockbuster space? heard a rumor that guardian is interested in the space... the landlord is tight lipped about it right now... id love to see a cool building like winchester hotel being built there with retail on the ground level...

there havebeen some great additions to the neighborhood this year... have you tried any of these?

Merry berry
Caroline's
Mylk Uncookie (on gerrard)
Cabbagetown Kitchen
Winchester Hotel

any thoughts?

I checked out Stout the other night....I tried the devil's beef stew (which looked good from the pictures in the Toronto Life review). The first few bites of the stew were great but then I realized it was just really salty.
I've been three times to Stout and the food was poor. I won't be returning to Stout until I see a "new cook on staff" sign out front.

Of course there isn't a good Brit-style pub anymore in Cabbagetown. The HOP has gone from a nice Rovers Return style informal pub with a large patio into a boutique restaurant that more suits $50 steaks avec frits and $15 glasses of wine as opposed to fish and chips, kidney pie and a pint. The HOP made the decision to go up-market - that's fine, and I hope it works for them, but I've been once (as opposed to dozens of times to the old place) and it left me cold - I won't be returning. Maybe the Ben Wicks is still good, I haven't been there in 15 years.

I hope someone buys or leases the old HOP location and opens a new Brit-style pub. Assuming of course that the slum lord who owns the building either renovates or sells. Heck even a Animal and Firken would do nicely there. My ideal pub name "the cockerel and beaver", for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
The Grasshopper Bar seems to be gone (the sign has been taken down). That makes all the retail units in that entire building vacant. I don't know who the landlord is, but they're clearly wasting a fantastic building and location.

The Grasshopper Bar seems to be gone (the sign has been taken down). That makes all the retail units in that entire building vacant. I don't know who the landlord is, but they're clearly wasting a fantastic building and location.

I don't understand why or how this building got into this condition:mad: It is a designated heritage building. I could be wrong but I thought that owners of designated Heritage buildings are entitled to special grants to maintain the heritage character of the bldg. as well as special tax breaks:confused: Nothing has been done to repair the damage caused by fire last year - the upper level windows were just boarded up. I wish it would undergo a complete restoration as was done to the building to its South housing the new H.O.P. For a designated Heritage district - the commercial parts of Cabbagetown are pretty shabby looking:mad:

Back