News   Jul 18, 2024
 345     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 500     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 850     0 

Cabbagetown

Many thanks Admiral Beez (and others), these replies have been quite helpful.

Oddly, my kid(s) does not exist yet, however I really do like the idea of using French Immersion to segregate and get your kid in the best seb-set of an otherwise mediocre school. I think it's great that you're raising kids in Cabbagetown and we hope to do the same.

Jonny5... did you pick your handle in tribute of the peg hook-price tag fixture at Canadian Tire?

No, but I am intrigued to know more about how my name could be though of as a tribute to a piece of store equipment. Is that what they call them?

- What's the yummy mummy quotient (YMQ)?
I omitted to comment on the YMQ. If you're referring to the high-household-income white women who had their kids in their mid to late 30s or 40s, and now utilize full-time Filipino nannies who push their high-end designer strollers and take their kids to band, swimming and dance classes and the local parks, while the mothers partake in local yoga classes and met in small groups to drink fair trade coffee at Jet Fuel or Starbucks.... then yes, we have LOTS of those. I know at least a dozen in CT.

No, but I am intrigued to know more about how my name could be though of as a tribute to a piece of store equipment. Is that what they call them?
Go to any Canadian Tire store and look at the peg hooks with the white price tag fixture clicked into the end of the peg. Look at it from the side and it looks like a five. Take off the white price tag fixture and you'll see it right away. It is this white piece that is referred to at CT as a Jonny5.

I omitted to comment on the YMQ. If you're referring to the high-household-income white women who had their kids in their mid to late 30s or 40s, and now utilize full-time Filipino nannies who push their high-end designer strollers and take their kids to band, swimming and dance classes and the local parks, while the mothers partake in local yoga classes and met in small groups to drink fair trade coffee at Jet Fuel or Starbucks.... then yes, we have LOTS of those. I know at least a dozen in CT.

Thanks for addressing the YMQ.

The YMs I have in mind might more of the Leslieville demographic - a little younger, 30-38, they buy organic everything but can't yet afford a nanny. Your desription seems a bit older and wealthier, possibly like some sort of Trophy Wife - Yummy Mummy hybrid. This is not a bad thing as it does leave some "headroom".

Either way I consider your answer to be appropriate and helpful. Thanks!

Your desription seems a bit older and wealthier, possibly like some sort of Trophy Wife - Yummy Mummy hybrid.
When I think of Trophy Wife I think of the super attractive young'ish woman with the older wealthy yet unattractive and often divorced from "starter wife" man - basically the old bargain the beautiful make with the rich.

The CT wives I see are your average white North American, but with sufficient finances to outsource their child raising to the poorer women of the developing world. Not that it isn't a good deal for the Filipino nannies - sure they have to abandon their own children and families in the Philippines in order to raise the developed world's babies, but after a few years they can gain Landed Immigrant status in Canada and then bring their families to Canada. So, like the Trophy Wife and Old Rich Dude bargain, there is a bargain between the Cabbagetown wives and the Filipino nanny.

Not that every child in CT is raised by nannies. My wife and I have two children under nine years old and through hard work, sound educational and financial decisions and good luck were able have my wife stay home to manage the kids while I worked full-time. It can be done, but it's a challenge for sure.

Cabbagetown news has some encouraging information about the work to be performed at the site of the old H.O.P and Grasshopper:

"As you can easily see, the building where Grasshopper and the House on Parliament used to be located is now under construction. The owners are repairing the damage done by the fire in October 2009 and they’re preparing to build new housing units at the back. Considerable effort will be made to preserve and improve the historic façade. When details are ready, we’ll publish them here"

http://cabbagetownnews.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-08-26T16:09:00-05:00&max-results=1

Glad to hear that "considerable effort" we be made to restore the facade.

What's the deal with DACHI (Don Area Co-operative Homes Inc)? It seems to be a 70s-era housing co-op, with a lock on the real estate around No Frills. I had no idea there was such a big block of (essentially) social housing in Cabbagetown proper. Are they good neighbours, or slightly OCAP-eqsue?

Its history makes for interesting reading:

In 1972, city council put a freeze on high-rise developments. Don Vale speculators turned to renovating and reselling their houses as luxury townhouses. So began the "white-washing" of Cabbagetown. Middle class professionals moved into the neighbourhood. Tenants were being evicted.

What are now DACHI houses were at that time part of a group of properties assembled by speculators in the late 1950's, known as the Cowley houses. Being the only cheap housing in the area, evictees from the neighbourhood crowded into these houses, often living in appalling conditions.

On June 28, 1973 the first meeting was held to plan non-profit low-income rental housing in the Don area. By November, DACHI incorporated as a not-for-profit co-operative, and obtained an option to buy the Cowley houses. The plan included the renovation of thirty-six existing houses and the building of eight new houses for low and middle-income families who would be their own landlords, but who would have no equity in the property.

After overcoming substantial opposition by a local property-owners' association, Don Area Co-op was approved for a loan from CMHC, with just six days left before the March 5, 1974 closing date for the purchase.

The delays had been costly. It was decided to sell a vacant lot on Spruce Street and two large houses on Carlton Street, demolish one house on Dermott Place, and convert most of the thirty-three remaining houses to separate flats. Eight new townhouses were to be constructed on the west side of Dermott Place, between Carlton and Spruce.

http://www.dachi.ca/about.html

Last edited:
I have two friends who live and raise their families in that co-op and it seems to work nicely. Don't fool yourself though, that Co-op is as white bread as the rest of CT, just with lower income artists, retail workers, etc. They fit in just fine.

...while the mothers partake in local yoga classes...

I just moved into the neighbourhood and my wife's looking for a local yoga or pilates studio (preferably both), but not having much luck. Are there any that anybody knows of? The only one I was able to find was this 'renaissance yoga' place that sounds a little too...out there...for what she's looking for.

I just moved into the neighbourhood and my wife's looking for a local yoga or pilates studio (preferably both), but not having much luck. Are there any that anybody knows of? The only one I was able to find was this 'renaissance yoga' place that sounds a little too...out there...for what she's looking for.

There's Hipjoint Yoga at 603 1/2 Parliament St. (just south of Wellesley).

http://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/Hipjoint-Yoga/168107913204457?v=info

hipjointyogastudio@yahoo.ca

Back