News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 465     0 

Britannia Farm & Development Parcels (Peel School Board, various)

what's with you people and demanding street frontage even in a place like mississauga.

is this for all the 10 people in the city who are actually walking?

Mississauga Transit actually has an 8% mode share, so there are at least 56,000 people who are actually walking. And furthermore, these proposed office buildings are located on Hurontario, which has 25,000 riders per weekday, making it the busiest bus corridor in the 905 and one of the busiest in the GTA, and there is an LRT line planned for it.

So yeah, it probably makes sense to give pedestrians and street frontage some consideration.

All buildings are to be 6+ story tall along Hurontario St and that 2nd building doesn't meet the standard.

I dont think there is a minimum height requirement for Hurontario. Citi was able to build a 2 storey office and further north by the 401 there are single storey office buildings that are under construction/nearing completion. I believe the only requirement is that they meet the street well.

Upper Hurontario Guidelines

The Citi building was approved and built prior to the new guidelines coming into effect.

City Council only recently approved the Upper Hurontario Guidelines.

Also, from what I recall this site falls just outside the boundaries of those guidelines.

There is already a significant level of pedestrian and transit ridership at this intersection with 2000+ students from St. Francis Xavior right across the street.

The building will almost certainly get built as it already has a significant anchor tenant lined up as the new home for the Centre for Education and Training (CET) which currently takes up several floors of office space in the City Centre. Sheridan College is also considering this site for its new Mississauga Campus.

While this is not an ideal use of the site which is suppose to be reserved for the students of Peel, this is a much better proposal then the golf course plan a decade ago. I need more detailed renderings and a complete site plan before I can pass judgement on the proposal.

Louroz

what's with you people and demanding street frontage even in a place like mississauga.

Ummm, maybe it has something to do with intelligent planning and undoing the overwhelming mistakes of Mississauga's past instead of repeating them?

First rendering from the Mississauga News:

906c7c1e42d09195de8d83979636.jpeg

I love the design, hate the arrangement of the buildings on the site. Both should be fronting the street. Leave the 'park' in the area that will face the farm.

That tall building is about 15 floors plus mech. Other buildings are 4 stories.

How hard is it to make those 4 stories into a long building connecting the tall tower and run next to the street edge?

Do this and make it 6+ stories tall will make more land free and more support for this plan.

Putting parking underground, it will free more land. Love the free surface lot thinking.

It will mean no existing building will have to be relocated.

Try for 2 tall buildings at each end and make them taller. As it has been stated to council, there are no buildings in Mississauga that have larger plate floors that are found in Toronto and this would be a good place to start.

If they use a 10,000 Sq/ft plate, we would see an 85 story building or 45 floor using 20,000 plate. More free land

I do like the tall building also, but lets stop the square box thinking.

I'm curious to see how the site is accessed by cars. Hopefully it will be at the intersection one light north of Bristol. (Currently, there is only a road on the east side of Hurontario.) If there is access from Bristol, the block is going to be a nightmare of traffic during the morning rush hour. I have been in that area before school starts at Xavier and the backups are already massive without adding access to a number of high rise offices on the north side of the road.

Update on the project:

The developer has pulled out, and the project is not going forward.

Peel District School Board officials confirmed Friday that the development proposal for about 32 acres of the board-owned Britannia farmlands in Mississauga has been withdrawn. The deal with Toronto-based developer Osmington Inc. was expected to bring the board millions of dollars. File photo

http://www.mississauga.com/news/article/1041017--lucrative-farm-deal-stopped

The signs for this development were removed early this year and knew then it was dead.

Eva Adam who was the ward councillor was to call a meeting late last year or early this year, but never did.

You would found me on the front line opposing this development or any future one like this as its poor planning and waste of land use.

I came up with a better plan that could do more with less space.

Last edited:
Last edited:
That link goes to a Mississauga News front page, but not to a story.

Interestingly vague at this point!

http://www.mississauga.com/news-story/7018079-peel-board-approves-revived-britannia-farm-plan/
Peel board approves revived Britannia Farm plan
N_MB_Britannia_Approve_Gallery.jpg

Mississauga News
By Jason Spencer

An ambitious plan to turn the Britannia Farm into a top-notch, outdoor education facility was approved by Peel District School Board trustees Monday, Dec. 12.

Emily Reisman, a partner with planning consulting firm Urban Strategies Inc., presented the refreshed master plan for the 200-acre site — bordered by Hurontario Street, Bristol and McLaughlin roads and Matheson Boulevard — at the regular board meeting.

She noted several proposed features such as a new field centre, a trail network, wetland restoration and an outdoor gathering place, known as Britannia Common.

Reisman also touched on possible experiential learning opportunities centred around historical, agricultural and ecological programming.

Though excitement was palpable, financing the plan hinges on the development of a 32-acre parcel at the southeast corner.

Reisman suggests that mixed-use development would be optimal, adding that the location will be even more inviting to developers with the coming light rail transit (LRT) line in Hurontario.

Development of the corner parcel was the most disputed issue among public consultations for the plan.

Mississauga Ward 5 Coun. Carolyn Parrish previously estimated that the corner parcel, with the addition of an LRT, could be worth up to $5-million an acre.

Her colleague, Ward 11 Coun. George Carlson, said upcoming steps for the parcel would include the board filing an application with the city to amend the official plan for development.

That would trigger the planning process, which could take upward of 18 months, he said.

Trustees aren't deluded by the road ahead, but they're thrilled by the possibilities and remain confident the timing is right.

"This is absolutely a dream and it's going to take a long time to get there," said chair Janet McDougald.

She also expects to see First Nations "playing a significant role in this property".

Trustee Brad MacDonald asked about future public access to the site, making the distinction that the site is not a park, but a learning centre.

Reisman was hopeful that controlled public access could encourage stewardship of the property. She said the city would have to make a public access agreement that addresses items such as maintenance.

Reisman will be presenting the refreshed plan to Mississauga councillors this week.

a627fa4b-fc26-4527-8840-dd597a614570_zpsp4gcntyt.jpg

I fully support this new plan, and do hope public access becomes a priority as was brought up by Brad MacDonald.

Interestingly vague at this point!

Vague is an understatement. I have no idea what is being proposed here. Trails to and from where? And why? And what is a "field centre"? Terms like "experiential learning" also set off red flags. My BS detector is going off big time.

Back