News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 617     1 

Bridge, The + Connect (Urbancorp, 22s, Kirkor)

Are you allergic to precast?

Perhaps not physically, but theoretically that seems accurate.

When you walk by condo's that use brick do you get all excited? Is it an invigorating experience?

I don't necessarily get all lascivious, but it is a more engaging and uplifting experience.

Or are you simply buying a unit in this project and were mislead by the sales agent in regards to the materials being used?

Not a buyer, just a critic.

It's appropriate because from a distance you can't tell the difference. It's appropriate because the maintenance costs are less. And yes its also appropriate because the installation costs for the developer are less.

Good from afar but far from good? Surely you were a teenager at some time Vegeta, you know how depressing that can be. Should the developer not take pride in the product they are producing? Too often I find that the built environment suffers as developers increasingly see buildings as cash registers, rather than meaningful additions to an enviably tight, existing fabric. Buildings should form the spaces between them, not simply be objects in that space.

I find it odd that you are defending a developer who fired Alsop, fired BSN, scrapped their cheerful, multi-hued designs (while duplicitously keeping the original buildings in the marketing material) and hired Kirkor, the Michelle Bachmann's of the architectural world, forever spewing out that which they do not understand, to complete an underwhelming, neigh, depressing redesign. In other words, you find it appropriate that business interests were able to completely neuter what could have been the best set of buildings (with matching pedestrian infrastructure) in recent memory? That a developer would set out to create something really interesting, only to retire that interest in favor of bland, quotidian crap and still you defend them for it, really speaks to the cash-and-carry culture of development these days as well as our blithe, willful acceptance of it.

You ask how this affects me and others so much? I'd flip that question around and ask how it doesn't affect you? How is it that you can not only accept, but defend a building which has been cut down multiple times by a developer who seems not to care, then ask me why I'm annoyed?

Woa, don’t get me wrong, I’m not a fan of this project at all, though I understand how I could have been misunderstood. The actual intent of my previous post wasn’t to defend this project in particular, but rather the use of faux precast bricks.

Am I accepting banality? No I’m just accepting reality, not every building can be covered with real bricks. While it doesn’t have the authenticity of the real thing, if done well I find the difference isn’t all that noticeable. It shows some degree of attention to detail and it is steps above the minimum - a bare uninviting precast wall.

In regards to this project in particular, I haven’t been paying much attention to it and so I wasn’t quite aware of the rather unfortunate history behind the project. After a little reading up on it, I do however understand your disappointment with it.

Last edited:
but in all fairness to this project "The Bridge", little has changed on the design from the original concept, therefore the builder really didn't really do anything to disappoint purchasers here ... given the price tag of the product, this building isn't all that terrible

However, I 'think' ProjectEnd may have been trying to express his frustration with Urbancorp as a developer whom has cheapened great designs and dropped great architects from their project team (specifically, on the Westside Gallery Lofts project), which I agree they should not be forgiven; however I think we should be clear where to direct our anger, at the builder (Urbancorp), rather than their projects (The Bridge)

Starting to rise up.:)

November142009380.jpg

November142009382.jpg

5 floors high and rising

I noticed that there is a difference between what is being constructed and what is on the model. For the unit on the SE corner they have constructed 3 structural wall segments between the corner and the balcony. In the original design and model it had only 2 segments. I wonder how this will change the interior layout.
I wonder how the NE wing will be constructed. The concrete abutment is only a small portion of it. Will the rest be a steel frame tied to the concretes tower?
Anyone have current estimates on completion date?

Attachments

• IMG_6799.jpg
    IMG_6799.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 229
colour selection & connect

They are already on 9th floor for phase 1 colour selection but I didnt' recieve notice. I heard they tried to call people during the christmas holidays and if you don't respond or miss your colour selection date, they will choose for you. just and FYI

I really hope they didn't miss mine. I would really be unhappy if they chose for me! I am on phase 2 though, the west tower, so i think i should be ok for now.

Xmas Photos from a different angle

DSC_5017.JPG

DSC_5018.JPG

DSC_5022.JPG

DSC_5036.JPG

DSC_5034.JPG

Some of the south wing and the east face of the building.

It was talked about earlier, the possibility that there would be no brick. In fact there is brick being layed over the lower walls right now. If it will extend up to the top of the building, I am not sure, but at least it will cover the ground level walls.

Attachments

• DSC_5031.jpg
    DSC_5031.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC_5032.jpg
    DSC_5032.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
February 20 2010 update

Southeast Elevation - this is the side that will now be totally blocked by Fuzion Condominiums (to be located in foreground, behind chain linked fence)
IMG_2080.jpg

Northwest Elevations - phase 2 (Connect) will extend out from the blank wall
IMG_2081.jpg

A decent window+spandrel combination
Click to Enlarge

Real brick at the base ~

Back