News   May 17, 2024
 1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 419     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 734     2 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

FYI I noticed that the Cumberland entrance to Bay station is closed off, presumably pending its rebuild...

Santa Monica Place is no longer. They've knocked everything but the Macy's, and are going to make it more pedestrianized. I would argue it was the worst part of Santa Monica's retail district.

Third Street Promenade's more than just 3 St though. It's a whole neighbourhood.

Santa Monica Place is no longer. They've knocked everything but the Macy's, and are going to make it more pedestrianized. I would argue it was the worst part of Santa Monica's retail district.

Third Street Promenade's more than just 3 St though. It's a whole neighbourhood.

Yes, that's the name of the place; thank you. Had no idea the mall was having such tough times. Wikipedia says it has never turned a profit in its 28 years.

So I inadvertently came across info that Cartier is now located where Lacoste was at 108-131 Bloor Street West? Did Cartier also take the space of the jeweler next door (Mappin's or People's, I forget). I ask this because the Lacoste space was fairly small at under 1500 sq ft, according to the Morguard website.

Indiva is moving to Yorkville Ave. near Seen Optical which means 83 Bloor will have a new tenant. They barely lasted a year.

I saw a "Hermes Site" sign at the old Cartier location beside Gucci at 110 Bloor. The old Hugo location on Cumberland is being renovated. Not sure who is moving in, but the asking rent ($125 net) is quite high for Cumberland.

Indiva is moving to Yorkville Ave. near Seen Optical which means 83 Bloor will have a new tenant. They barely lasted a year.

I saw a "Hermes Site" sign at the old Cartier location beside Gucci at 110 Bloor. The old Hugo location on Cumberland is being renovated. Not sure who is moving in, but the asking rent ($125 net) is quite high for Cumberland.

Wow, guess Hermes wants a larger store... according to this link, the new shop would be 4024 square feet. (http://www.dtzbarnicke.com/Client/J...0330099cd0085af0852571a9004e0591!OpenDocument)

The current Hermes shop is 2237 square feet, according to Morguard, landord for 131 Bloor - The Colonnade (link is PDF: http://www.morguard.com/images/propertyImages/Jan 2007 - The Colonnade - Floor Plan.pdf)

Question: Has Prada expanded into the former Tommy Bahama location at 131 Bloor, yet? Dane can probably answer that one ;)

Hermes expanding I heard about nearly a year ago.. Good to know they're going ahead with it.

The Prada expansion is supposed to be completed by this summer.. but they're really taking their sweet, sweet time. Regardless, the location is for sure a go for Prada Uomo.

Indiva vacating the old Versace shop means that this giant space will become available for a world class couturier.. I wonder who we'll get? I bet on Giorgio Armani... Maybe even Donatella wants her old store back?:)

I remember the first time I walked around on Cumberland, I thought it would make a perfect pedestrian street. Closing it to cars, though, would transfer more traffic to Yorkville Ave., which is already congested. Unless Yorkville is one-way going west, I can't remember.

The new Hermes is looking very nice (got a glimpse through the construction site doors) its where Cartier used to be, underneath the new 155 Bloor/130 Cumberland Luxury development. but Gucci has been made smaller, I wonder if they plan on moving soon? or if its just temporary during the renovation.

NOTHING has happened at Tommy Bahamas, it still has white paper up, but i am thinking now... Prada might be waiting for Hermes to vacate too, and then take over BOTH stores, so they have an even LARGER store.... that could be something special....

Bloor street is just a huge mess of construction right now, the roads/sidewalks definitely need to be re-done.

What do you mean Gucci has been made smaller? As in the wall to the right was pushed inward? I doubt they'd go ahead with that...
Interesting point with the Prada... That'd be perfect!

What do you mean Gucci has been made smaller? As in the wall to the right was pushed inward? I doubt they'd go ahead with that...
Interesting point with the Prada... That'd be perfect!

From what I saw in the PDF drawings on the link I posted, I don't think Gucci's space is being reduced? They're just covering-over the interior windows as walls for Hermes. Otherwise, I think Gucci will be kept just as it was.

Re: the Hermes/Tommy Bahama update: thanks Dane! If I were in TO I'd thank ya in person ;). If Prada took over both the former Tommy Bahama store and the former Hermes store, that'd be quite large. I'm wondering if COACH would take over the former Hermes store? It is allegedly a 'flagship' Coach store after all, and annexing its neighbour would give it a similar size to the newly expanded Yorkdale Coach store.

There is a store above Betsey Johnson that has been vacant for a few months. Does anyone know why the previous store closed down? Would this be a good location for a specialized fashion retailer?

2398936515_89e911a6fc_b.jpg

so the news in yorkville? what news in yorkville?

well today we have the opening of a new restaurant of course, located at 69 Yorkville avenue, this one is called "true" and it has a nice looking patio, and they've done a great job with the space, however the patio is covered, so no-sun for the wanna-tan croud... middle range prices, and who knows what they serve! (and quite frankly who cares!? its not about what you eat, but how you look eating it! and surrounded by all that white and leather, you're sure to look fantastic.)

2519162276_f8b3debfda_b.jpg

CBRE is leasing the corner retail unit of The Regency. Asking $125 PSF and the size is 2572 SF.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 28, 2008

HMV CANADA CELEBRATES 20TH ANNIVERSARY WITH UNVEILING OF

NEW ‘STORE OF THE FUTURE’ DESIGN CONCEPT AT BLOOR STREET LOCATION IN TORONTO

Toronto, ON – With 123 stores nationally, providing customers with a total entertainment experience, HMV Canada is celebrating it’s 20th anniversary in Canada with the opening of the new ‘Store of the Future’ HMV concept store at Bloor Street on June 17, 2008. The newly designed location will be the first full-fledged ‘Store of the Future’ to launch in the Canadian market (with 20 additional stores unveiling the new look nationwide throughout the year).

The store grand opening will feature an 8am breakfast event, inviting consumers to be the first to visit the new space and enjoy coffee and snacks. The day will be filled with numerous activities; including an official ribbon cutting ceremony, an intimate acoustic performance by British cult hero Billy Bragg, a Warner Home Video Fool’s Gold contest, in addition to numerous giveaways and contests throughout the day. The festivities will continue well into the evening with a glittering, private cocktail reception for the entertainment industry tastemakers from 7pm-10pm that evening.

“We are thrilled to be celebrating 20 years in Canada. This store and its respective features reflect a new, improved, and revamped HMV. This revamped HMV will see us offering a broader range of entertainment products, including: videogames, DVD’s, iPod’s, books, entertainment focused mobile phones and of course music!†said Humphrey Kadaner, President of HMV Canada. “The new Bloor street store will provide our loyal customers with everything they have come to expect from HMV, all in a state of the art, contemporary store.â€

Located at 50 Bloor Street West in Toronto, with a total of 5,900 square feet of retail space, the store re-opening will give consumers an opportunity to experience a variety of newly expanded features, unique to the new ‘Store of the Future’ design. Beyond its new store design, other services being introduced in this location include: an interactive “Hub†encompassing 6 iMac computers featuring easy access to a variety of entertainment and social networking sites, gaming stations, as well as the introduction of a selection of books and entertainment focused mobile phones.

HMV has proven itself as an innovative leader in Canada since 1986, recognized by Canadian Music Week (CMW) as the Music Retailer of the Year by the Canadian music industry for 18 consecutive years and also the recipient of 2 Canadian Entertainment Network DVD Awards for Retailer of the Year. HMV Canada continues to expand and adapt to ever-evolving consumer needs and continues to be a leader in the retail landscape. The store offers customers an interactive shopping experience with their CDs, books, gaming, iPods and DVDs.

About HMV:

With over 80 years of music retailing history, 400 stores worldwide (123 in Canada), HMV is the world's premier entertainment retailer. The first HMV shop was opened in 1921 at 363 Oxford Street, one of London's most prominent shopping streets, and HMV has since developed into one of the world's leading retailers of music, video and games. HMV focuses on providing an authoritative range and depth of selection that is superior to that of its competitors, including hard-to-find items and a large number of back catalogue titles.

Weblink: www.hmv.ca

Back