News   Apr 23, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 350     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 590     0 

Bloor Annex

Interesting massing and development potential study by Smart Density for the Metro grocery store site at 425 Bloor West & Robert St:

1599083529058.png

1599083547581.png

Attachments

• 1599083546910.png
    1599083546910.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 374
Interesting massing and development potential study by Smart Density for the Metro grocery store site at 425 Bloor West & Robert St:

View attachment 267390
View attachment 267392

Not much setback on the Bloor frontage......pretty sure that would violate City guidelines.

Otherwise, a sensible site for intensification.

Though, I think I might prefer that a development on this site involve the JCC, not necessarily one building, but an integrated proposal.

Have to say, I think someone would have to find another supermarket site in the area for Metro first.

That store is busy and turns some serious coin per ft2.

Not much setback on the Bloor frontage......pretty sure that would violate City guidelines.

Otherwise, a sensible site for intensification.

Though, I think I might prefer that a development on this site involve the JCC, not necessarily one building, but an integrated proposal.

Have to say, I think someone would have to find another supermarket site in the area for Metro first.

That store is busy and turns some serious coin per ft2.

Ideally, the new Mirvish Village community should have room for at least one new supermarket. But overall, the general area remains fairly under served by larger format grocery options. Which is why the Metro is still a vital part of the Annex and certainly a highly profitable location.

A pair of older semi-detach homes on Major Street just north of Sussex (south of Bloor W) are being fully renovated.

20220108_152055.jpg

A new restaurant called "So Famous" is opening soon along Bloor W, just west of Walmer:

20220108_152530.jpg

I've seen this building reconfiguration project on Bedford a few times before when passing by. But first time realizing that it's for a multi-unit residential instead of a single family home:

ACO with a profile on the building which was originally built in 1906:

85 BEDFORD RD
Ward 11: University-Rosedale

Draft Plan of Condominium for 3 units.

--------
Google Maps view from June 2021:

bef.JPG

Proposal for a rear and overall 3rd floor addition and interior alterations at 475 Bloor St W, which is just east of the former Brunswick House:

475 BLOOR ST W
Ward 11: University-Rosedale

Enlarge existing building by rear and third floor addition, interior alteration to add retail bookstore use.

bmv.JPG

Since Koreatown doesn't have its own thread, I deem it appropriate to share the news here that the first downtown location of Mary Brown's is now open on Bloor a couple of blocks west of Bathurst (old KFC location)!

Since Koreatown doesn't have its own thread, I deem it appropriate to share the news here that the first downtown location of Mary Brown's is now open on Bloor a couple of blocks west of Bathurst (old KFC location)!

There is actually a thread w/Koreatown in the title, its just not the lead 'hood name:

The Annex has been featured as #38 on Timeout's "40 Coolest Neighbourhoods in the World":

38. The Annex​

Toronto, Canada

The Annex has changed. After the closure of the iconic Honest Ed’s department store changed the area’s landscape, the neighbourhood is now finally emerging from years of construction with a fresh new look. The developing Mirvish Village hub brings new retail spaces, more housing, plus a music venue and park to Queen Street West’s uptown younger sibling. Combined with long-standing favourites like Hot Docs Cinema, pubs where professors, students and professionals stand shoulder-to-shoulder to grab a pint and a new addition to Toronto’s Michelin Guide, the Annex is making a comeback in 2023 – and is Toronto’s coolest place to be right now.

The perfect day Start out at what might be the tiniest coffee shop in Toronto, Coffee Pocket, and then meander along Bloor Street West, popping into eclectic gift shops selling incense, homewares and books. Catch a film at Hot Docs Cinema, then stop for a drink at one of the many local watering holes like The Lab pub or the Writer’s Room for a skyline sunset. Hungry? Nab a sexy red banquette at Michelin-starred Mimi Chinese and finish the night with a tableful of traditional Chinese dishes with a spicy twist.

Plan your trip For the return of the Hot Docs festival in 2024. Spring is also when the new developments in the area are slated to be completed, so the Annex will be buzzing with new activities and events.

Back