News   Mar 28, 2024
 105     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 176     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 247     0 

Bloor Annex

Yes, part of it is seasonal, but I think there's some larger changes afoot. I've been hanging out on that strip since around '93-'94 when I was an undergrad, and yes, the nightlife was definitely more active then as there used to be many more pubs along that stretch: The James Joyce, Los Iguanas, and back in the day when the Brunswick House was still an actual, everyday bar and not a nightclub. Kilgour's, Paupers, and a couple of other places are still there too at least. There still is that vibe, but it's definitely died down and I think one factor is demographic: U of T is...how shall I put it, more "international" in its student makeup than when I attended, and so the sheer number of sushi, shwarma, and other take-out joins reflects the fact that a lot of U of T students don't seem to be into the pub drinking scene as in days of yore. More bubble tea than Bud I guess.

Gentrification is another factor. Over the past 25 years or so many of the homes in the area, such as along Brunswick, have been converted back into single-family homes, and so I think that stretch is accommodating a higher-order level of services (more restaurants, less "bars" per se), and with the Honest Ed's redevelopment that process will shift into overdrive. I also suspect a lot more students at U of T commute and so that may also play a part in the calming of that stretch (with accompanying NIMBYism, etc.). The Madison (Paupers' sister pub) is still busy but not as much as I remember it (there used to be *lineups*). I'm also suspecting that students just don't have as much money to spend on pitcher after pitcher, and that 20 bucks doesn't go as far as it used to when I drank at these places back then as opposed to now.

Perhaps the most extreme example is Bedford Road, which used to actually be kind of slummy (rooming houses, frats) about 20 years ago but now is nearly unrecognizable with luxe condos at both ends, renovated houses with Porsches in the driveways and an air of being in Summerhill or some other area rather than near U of T (anybody remember Bohemian just south of Dupont?).

Incidentally Runt, who painted Lee's Palace, is a friend of mine and he often talks about the changes as well.

Yeah, the type of student that would frequent the Brunswick House etc. is now more likely to go to Western, Queen's, McGill or Dalhousie.

On the nightlife issue I just wanted to add that while the observation that the nightlife is less lively may be valid (I don't do nightlife that much anymore) we shouldn't give the impression that the area is less busy. I find it to be much busier than when I was an undergrad in the late 90's early 00's.

The Annex, and the city in general is always less busy in the summer, especially in mid-late August. Actually I've noticed that the city is more busy than it once was during summer months. It explodes back to life in early September and traffic of every kind in the central city (car, pedestrian, and bike) feels appreciably greater every year.

Anyone else notice that the Annex's nightlife has started to die down?

Madison pub used to be packed, nowdays half the times I go there it's dead by 1 AM.

The whole street as a whole seems far less busy than a few years ago on Thursday to Saturday nights.
Unfortunately yeah when I was in university, it was much lively than it is now. Maybe the younger generation parties less?

Ugh. A corporate chain that makes lousy pizza in this gorgeous, historic building? Disgusting. The Brunny isn't exactly a high class establishment, but I'd much rather keep that than get this proposed garbage in its place.

I really wonder about the appeal of BP. No one orders the pizza, there's nothing even remotely Bostonian about the place and everything on the menu is a sodium bomb.

I wasn't a fan of the Brunny - although I guess you owe it to yourself to experience the crowds, the sticky floors and the watery pints once, as a student, if that's your thing - but I would rather see a really nice pub there instead. Like Paupers or the Madison, except ... more presentable.

Yes, part of it is seasonal, but I think there's some larger changes afoot. I've been hanging out on that strip since around '93-'94 when I was an undergrad, and yes, the nightlife was definitely more active then as there used to be many more pubs along that stretch: The James Joyce, Los Iguanas, and back in the day when the Brunswick House was still an actual, everyday bar and not a nightclub. Kilgour's, Paupers, and a couple of other places are still there too at least. There still is that vibe, but it's definitely died down and I think one factor is demographic: U of T is...how shall I put it, more "international" in its student makeup than when I attended, and so the sheer number of sushi, shwarma, and other take-out joins reflects the fact that a lot of U of T students don't seem to be into the pub drinking scene as in days of yore. More bubble tea than Bud I guess.

I'm surprised that there are line-ups out the door for at least one of the sushi places, on Sunday nights, no less, and it doesn't seem to be just students. The Brunny doesn't seem to have had as much appeal lately and El Furniture Warehouse appears to have taken its place as the 'serious drinking' establishment.

Anyone know what's replacing the frozen yoghurt place that used to be Dooney's?

I really wonder about the appeal of BP. No one orders the pizza, there's nothing even remotely Bostonian about the place and everything on the menu is a sodium bomb.
It is probably the worst of the bunch as far as suburban power centre franchises go. I don't know how you can have "pizza" in your name and make such horrible pies.

Back