2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 487     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Black Lives Matter Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
You all realize that this Jeff person is trolling you and not part of BLM, right?
Nice one! You can't face reality so you call me a troll! I am part of BLM although Jeff is not my real name since I don't want the police to come after me. I work with BLM at all levels, both the protest and organizational level and have had great success in gaining funding for our organization. At least people are starting to wake up.

Canada did not have slaves. What compensation do you want from Canadians? We have asset redistribution, it's call progressive taxation.

Where? Not in Canada. What society are you referring to?
White people have an advantage that black people don't. Whites live in houses in the suburbs and blacks are in housing projects. Sorry but being in a crime ridden building infested with bed bugs doesn't cut it even if it is "government funding". The rich should be taxed at over 90 % and the income should be redistributed to disadvantaged minorities.

And yes black men die at the hands of police daily both in Canada and the US.

Also, that term, white privilege, is a ridiculously racist term. Nobody should have to be ashamed or afraid as a result of the colour of their skin. Frankly, I find it depressing that someone who's fighting for equality can so completely miss the point that skin colour shouldn't matter.
White privilege is a racist term? How so? It's a fact that if you're white you're automatically born with a high status in North America and you have opportunities thrown at you that blacks could only dream of. I've heard the conservative argument "Yeah white people experience racism as well". The "racism" that whites "experience" is so small and so infrequent compared to what blacks and other minorities experience that it's not even worth mentioning.

Last edited:
I know this will piss off a few on the forum but here we go...

Some people should go to the library and read what we call books, b-o-o-k-s, before spreading more of their good facts.

In fact BLM reminds me of the Religious Right zealots, they talk about Judeo-Christian values and God’s natural law, however, the ruse is clear, all they care about is Religious Right values and revising history, as well as facts, to suit their needs. The goal is control people by making them victims, and hook then on that fact like a junkie, with them as the dealer, the only ones that can ease their pain and create a perfect future. My point is that BLM talks about minorities and disadvantaged people but do they actually care or is it a means to an end?

It appears that a discussion is needed, however, just like Trump or the Fords, as good examples, a state of emergency or crisis has been created and they are the only ones to solve the situation.

I could go on for several pages but to close comment out... It was interesting that you didn’t refute my comment that Black Power and White Power were a racist term, BLM uses the former term quite a lot don’t they, it makes you go hmmm.

I could go on for several pages but to close comment out... It was interesting that you didn’t refute my comment that Black Power and White Power were a racist term, BLM uses the former term quite a lot don’t they, it makes you go hmmm.

I'm not even going to get into this silly discussion but the bolded is complete nonsense. It's like calling "girl power" sexist. Just my opinion...not willing to go back and forth with this.

I'm not even going to get into this silly discussion but the bolded is complete nonsense. It's like calling "girl power" sexist. Just my opinion...not willing to go back and forth with this.
But you just did. ;)

I know this will piss off a few on the forum but here we go...

Some people should go to the library and read what we call books, b-o-o-k-s, before spreading more of their good facts.

In fact BLM reminds me of the Religious Right zealots, they talk about Judeo-Christian values and God’s natural law, however, the ruse is clear, all they care about is Religious Right values and revising history, as well as facts, to suit their needs. The goal is control people by making them victims, and hook then on that fact like a junkie, with them as the dealer, the only ones that can ease their pain and create a perfect future. My point is that BLM talks about minorities and disadvantaged people but do they actually care or is it a means to an end?

It appears that a discussion is needed, however, just like Trump or the Fords, as good examples, a state of emergency or crisis has been created and they are the only ones to solve the situation.

So. So much horrible. How to parse.

Para 1: Yes, pissed me off. Your lack of empathy is/was enraging.

Para 2: My front hall has a full copy of the Encyclopedia Brittanica 1956. It is tremendous fun and we love it... but we still fact check it. Because, y'know, the world has changed.

Para 3: An AMAZING straw man -- Bravo. You almost forgot to reference BLM in this para, but luckily steered back on course at the end with 'My point is..." -- #protip: If you need to write "My point is... ", even YOU don't know what your point, y'know, is.

Para 4: WTF?????

Para 5: While BLM uses the term "Black Lives Matter" liberally, I have yet to find nor do I remember a "Black Power" nor "White Power" reference from them. A quick Google search brought up nothing but the 60s/70s Black Power movement. Reference?

Last -- please, please for the love of God do not take this as an invitation to '...go on for several pages...'.

Last -- please, please for the love of God do not take this as an invitation to '...go on for several pages...'.

Wait... you're saying you don't want to hear a bunch of old white guys pontificating endlessly about their inside-baseball knowledge of the black experience? They all watched Roots in 1977...

Last edited:
How about an old white gal taking a shot at this from my parenting 101 days.

If you do something wrong acknowledge the error and apologize. I mean the cops in Baton Rouge, in Minnesota, and in N. Miami. When the videos pretty much spoke for themselves, to have the local chief trying to reassure people by starting with "we've called in the Feds" when its obvious they're on their way does nothing but infuriate some people. Instead, acknowledge that its a tragedy, that the families and communities are traumatized, and try to show some empathy and respect.

N. Miami tried to lead with the explanation that the officer was actually trying to shoot the autistic patient but missed. That would put faith in the police, right, like saying he's a good cop just a lousy shot with an assault rifle.

BlueLivesMatter protests against police deaths by Black men with "issues" and maybe tenuous connections to BlackLivesMatter doubles down on the fear and anger about police felt throughout the population. Not conducive to reasonable discussions.

And then we see the same kinds of reactions here in Toronto. Toronto police chief, police union leader and Mayor (and TPSB member) paying tribute to American "fallen officers" who weren't implicated in any extrajudicial shootings. The killing of those officers too was a tragedy, but the nature of the police protests was over kill. "Lone wolf" killers with "mental capacity" issues won't be stopped by blaming civic action groups or whole communities. It would make more sense if the target of their protests was the NRA.

Fortunately Canada has better gun laws, but its the cops who seem a little too gun happy and a little too defensive about that, knowing that our "system" also is too slow and ineffective to hold them accountable. For them to piggy back on the rhetorical rage of the USA, particularly during a police reformation process here and now, I find despicable.

Don't Coyote Lives Matter?

See link.

Personally, I think that the police are a little too trigger happy for anyone or anything. They shouldn't be reaching for the guns first. They should think before shooting anyone or anything.

So. So much horrible. How to parse.

Para 1: Yes, pissed me off. Your lack of empathy is/was enraging.

Lack of empathy? I have not considered myself heartless, thank you for pointing this out. BLM would point out that I would be incapable of empathy due to “white privilege” or rather the act of disagreeing with them on any point.

Para 2: My front hall has a full copy of the Encyclopedia Brittanica 1956. It is tremendous fun and we love it... but we still fact check it. Because, y'know, the world has changed.

Yes, the world has changed since 1956, and it important to see how societal memes have changed, and how some things have not changed; self imposed ignorance and lack of free thought certainly are two.

Para 3: An AMAZING straw man -- Bravo. You almost forgot to reference BLM in this para, but luckily steered back on course at the end with 'My point is..." -- #protip: If you need to write "My point is... ", even YOU don't know what your point, y'know, is.

In fact BLM reminds me... BLM uses the former term quite a lot don’t they, it makes you go hmmm.” I opened and closed the paragraph referencing BLM and used the body for the argument. You did succeed in proving the term “straw man,” and it is common use by those who have no answer to an argument.

Para 4: WTF?????

What part do you not understand? That a conversation is needed on the situations at hand or that the use of “crises” to turn people into mindless followers is still used and popular in politics. I used the Fords and Trump as a reference of how my arguments are current, not from say 1956.

Para 5: While BLM uses the term "Black Lives Matter" liberally, I have yet to find nor do I remember a "Black Power" nor "White Power" reference from them. A quick Google search brought up nothing but the 60s/70s Black Power movement. Reference?

BLM has never used “White Power”, at least not to my recollection, or that I said they did, however, the term “White Privilege” is used by BLM, and IMO the terms are wholly related. I also see terms like “African-American,” “African-Canadian” and other terms that only serve divisiveness and IMO are base racism. I believe in not using colours to separate, power is power and privilege is privilege, and are tools used by “people” not a colour. What also is topical, and in no way new, are how real Gods/false Gods, etc, are popular terms to divide and exert power and privilege. A good example of this point is the RNC gala about a week ago but in no way does this reference mean that such uses are partisan.

I could provide a list, it would not be hard but I think this article suits the question...
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-black-power-salute-20160509-snap-story.html

and of course BLMTO...
iu.jpeg
160726-0002.png

and this video shows the contrasts of experience...

I think I have kept things brief at you request. :)

Attachments

• iu.jpeg
    iu.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 515
  • 160726-0002.png
    160726-0002.png
    407.9 KB · Views: 532
One more old white guy explaining to blacks how fortunate black people have always been...

Media MattersVerified account‏@mmfa
Bill O'Reilly to Michelle Obama: Slaves building the White House were "well fed and had decent lodgings provided"

Embarrassing that this thread is waist-deep in alt-right territory--
unpaid internships=American slave trade
a diseased coyote=black youth
naming yourself African-Canadian is a sign you're racist and not a "real" Canadian

Last edited:
One more old white guy explaining to blacks how fortunate black people have always been...

Media MattersVerified account‏@mmfa
Bill O'Reilly to Michelle Obama: Slaves building the White House were "well fed and had decent lodgings provided"

Embarrassing that this thread is waist-deep in alt-right territory--
unpaid internships=American slave trade
a diseased coyote=black youth
naming yourself African-Canadian is a sign you're racist and not a "real" Canadian
Context is everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back