Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

Any hope that Porter will put some effort into making this more than just a utilitarian tunnel?

Nice elevators like on Line 9 in Barcelona?

4195549811_d5aabccaa8_z.jpg

Nice tunnel like at O'Hare airport?

1846_1751_m.jpg

Or Narita airport?

DSC03689.JPG

Or are we getting the GO Transit treatment?

2771193.jpg

Aside from the cost of the people mover itself....the tunnel, I imagine, would have to be at least twice as wide as planned so still much more expensive than the current project.

Really, since the ferry won't/can't be taken out of service anyway, a pedestrian tunnel to augment the ferry is all they need.

Does anyone know why the ferry service must continue? I would guess that it is for emergency services to reach the island. If the tunnel is to be for vehicles (even emergency vehicles), the approach ramps would have to be about a half km long each to get down to tunnel level, probably tripling or quadrupling the cost. It looks like a double leaf bascule (lift) bridge would have been the best solution.

When I was a lad living in England (left for Canada in 1976) I remember walking this tunnel to the Isle of Dogs. In the 1990s I returned and walked the same tunnel, except now it has a reinforcement in the middle as some ship dropped its anchor on top of the tunnel and water began to flood in.

Greenwich_Foot_Tunnel_under_River_Thames_-_geograph.org.uk_-_108510.jpg

Actually a PRT system that branches out to different locations on the downtown side would be ideal, and add to the cool factor.

I agree, It is still Toronto. We always go the cheap way and claim "it functions well". To expect the tunnel to have any design and pleasing looking is unrealistic.

I am not sure who we is.........but in this case we also insisted that it be paid for from private sources and user fees on passengers/flights. If "we" is the taxpayer they could ask for a more attractive tunnel but, somehow, I don't think we/they would want to pay for that.

I suspect it'll look a little better than the GO tunnels. Porter markets itself on service and that kind of clammy concrete look might scare off some customers. I'd guess some white paint is at least in order.

Back