Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

Wait why is this a discussion on if Porter can fly to the Caribbean from the island. The press release, as I read it, stated that they would focus on "touristy" services in areas they already fly to. I read that to mean that I'd be able to book a flight, hotel, and show in NY or Chicago through Porter, etc vs all of a sudden changing their corporate goals and flying to Mexico.

Porter can still make a pretty profit doing this sort of thing (hotel, show tickets, etc) in places like Boston, NY, Chicago, and Montreal.
I was just pointing out some of the logistics involved in targeting more distant destinations.

Porter has already shown with Halifax and St. John's that they are prepared to move outside of their business plan if a good opportunity arises; their original plan put Halifax outside of their range, but Canjet pulling out of the scheduled flight business opened up that market at a convenient time.

Of course they will focus on their existing destinations where they have spare capacity to sell as part of packages. But I could see other destinations in the future, depending on what their customers ask for, especially if they enter code-share deals with other airlines.

One possibility could be special flights to specific events like football games or hockey games. I suppose "Porter Escapes" could charter a plane from "Porter Airlines" to do that.

Construction begins on tunnel to Billy Bishop airport

TORONTO, Ont. - The shovels are in the ground, and construction is getting underway, for the pedestrian tunnel linking the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport to the mainland.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper joined Finance Minister Jim Flaherty and Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, Friday, in officially launching the two-year project $82.4-million project.

Toronto Port Authority chairman Mark McQueen said money from the airport improvement fee over the next 20 years will be used to pay for the construction.

The tunnel will be 240 metres long.

TORONTO, Ont. - The shovels are in the ground, and construction is getting underway, for the pedestrian tunnel linking the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport to the mainland.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper joined Finance Minister Jim Flaherty and Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, Friday, in officially launching the two-year project $82.4-million project.

Toronto Port Authority chairman Mark McQueen said money from the airport improvement fee over the next 20 years will be used to pay for the construction.

May have been asked before but is it escalators or elevators at either end of the tunnel?

At one time, plan was to install a moving sidewalk-- just like the one at Pearson.

but you still have to get down to it....I thought I heard elevators and I just find that escalators are far more efficient way of changing levels for masses of people.

After which they went to Earl's for lunch!

there would have to be elevators for accessibility reasons -- so perhaps there will be both? I agree that escalators would be more efficient than elevators alone

there would have to be elevators for accessibility reasons -- so perhaps there will be both? I agree that escalators would be more efficient than elevators alone

Yeah, I guess you are right. Hope they don't take the "we have to build elevators anyway so lets not install escaltors too".

They could at least add one of those airport people movers like the other airport.

Aside from the cost of the people mover itself....the tunnel, I imagine, would have to be at least twice as wide as planned so still much more expensive than the current project.

Really, since the ferry won't/can't be taken out of service anyway, a pedestrian tunnel to augment the ferry is all they need.

Aside from the cost of the people mover itself....the tunnel, I imagine, would have to be at least twice as wide as planned so still much more expensive than the current project.

Really, since the ferry won't/can't be taken out of service anyway, a pedestrian tunnel to augment the ferry is all they need.

Folks, reference to an old news item dated March 12, 2011.

Pedestrian link will be in addition to the ferry service which will NOT be discontinued. You got to take elevators 6 stories down and, on the other end, elevators six stories up.
This will shave 4 minutes of time as compared to ferry.

I get electric news letter from CP24.com. Below, I have pasted a link to today's news. At the bottom, related stories area, click on City approves pedestrian tunnel.....

On the next screen, in the relared stories area, click on $ 50 million tunnel...

http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120309/120309_airport_tunnel/20120309/?hub=CP24Home

Other than the yelling....can you point out the difference between my post and your reply to it?

Sorry, I didn't mean to yell. The question was-- perhaps, specifically, not in your post ---as whether there will be elevators or escalators. This news item states that it will be elevators.

Hats off to you for being fully informed.

Back