News   Jul 16, 2024
 57     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 820     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 957     1 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

The basic advantages to using steel in commercial building applications include the ability to have large open floorplates, higher ceilings and ease of adaption to changing business needs. Also, steel buildings can be constructed faster as there is no waiting for concrete to cure. Residential buildings, on the other hand, tend to have floorplates that are broken up into smaller (unchanging) individual units where noise levels are a concern, thus making reinforced concrete the building material of choice.

Scotiaplaza is an exception to the rule. It was made of concrete.

hehe.

50qu7.jpg

I had a faint awareness of that. But why is that the case?

I'm also curious about this. I'm guessing it is largely because with steel you don't need as many support columns/walls, so the floors can be completely open space. In a condo you need concrete walls and floors everywhere anyway to separate units and provide sound insulation, so there's probably no point in using steel -- you'd need almost as much concrete anyway and you wouldn't be taking advantage of some of the benefits of steel like a lighter building and faster construction.

I wonder if there are other reasons... does the larger floor to ceiling hight factor into the equation? Larger floorplates? The fact the facade tends to be more irregular with a condo, with balconies jutting out (I notice steel buildings tend to be relatively boxy)? It's interesting that Scotia Plaza and I think Royal Bank plaza were built with concrete I think and not steel.

Edit: oops, too slow, most of this was covered while I was typing my post. :(

quite the crane...dont think we have seen such a crane in this city-could be wrong though.

p5

Filip, you might get to see just that if BCE 3 goes ahead. Although I hope they go with a new design.

So the north tower is across the street? If so, I hope they develop that whole area--it's an eyesore.

Filip, you might get to see just that if BCE 3 goes ahead. Although I hope they go with a new design.

So the north tower is across the street? If so, I hope they develop that whole area--it's an eyesore.

I just meant I wanted to see that big mesh of steel! It's something I haven't seen yet...

please tell me they aren't recycling 50 odd cargo containers and stacking them one on top of the other

Back