News   Jul 16, 2024
 265     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 484     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 605     2 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

This picture is causing me no end of trouble. Maybe I should change it to a picture of, I don't know, a building. *That's* what this forum needs!

Got to say I love the narrow hotel/residential proposal, I think when these three towers are done they will have a sort of modern Rockefeller Centre feel.

Or Metro Hall...

What I am trying to figure out is how those set in glass floors in the plaza will work...

AoD

Skylights to the garage, perhaps? They could wind up being a great deal more opaque and subdivided than the video makes them seem.

Definately closer to Metro Hall. Rockefeller Centre has decent retail at street level and is so much more than a empty plaza with some landscaping, surrounded by the lobbies of office buildings.

The old facade still bugs me, and I still want to Hockney-ize it and start it somewhere around the 10th floor.

It looks like the only potential retail at ground level would be in the older facade on that northwest corner.

Nice to see all the money spent on the website. That should mean snazzy sites will be coming for the competing towers too.

The little figures that move briefly while the interior lobby animation plays are ever so slightly creepy.

The glass in the plaza will just allow natural light down to the PATH level, no?

Your logo, Sir Novelty, reminds me of John, Lord Hervey ( 1696 - 1743 ), though I didn't know him personally.

"The world consists of men, women, and Herveys." - Lady Mary Wortley Montague

don't forget the funkified light installation that's planned, that should make up for some of the daytime blandness

As I stated before, I like the minimal simplicity of this one... I wish it were perhaps 15 or 20 stories taller. It is certainly reminiscent of I. M. Pei's Commerce Court West or Mies' TD Centre with regard to the basic geometry, repetition and efficiency - but without the expansive granite plazas in front of King or Bay of course. This one should turn out nicely - I'm sure many of you sceptics will be pleasantly surprised upon completion in a few years time!

Moble Crane

A mobile crane is sitting in the hole and must have been put there on Sunday by a 500 tonier. I believe the crane is a 35 ton.

That's the one I was mentioning. It went in last night.

They're installing a glass curtain wall on the rear portion of the garage entrance this morning.

Saw it tonight. Looked lame but it was dark.

You mean the new and improved "curtain wall test section"? Wow, what's old is new again...

Nice drive by animation but that facade is pretty brutal. You'd think they could have done a better job at incorporating it into the base so it doesn't look like it's just "stuck on" as an afterthought. The lobby configuration and simplicity reminds me very much of CCW, probably appropriate for a minimalist design like this. It's hard to tell from just the rendering but the proportions make the building look a bit frumpy to me, but perhaps that is because it is much shorter than it's neighbours. While the overall design is obviously nothing original, the relative success of the project for me will probably be in the quality of the materials and type of glass that they finish with.

Back